Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can anyone tell me which Optima Red-Top battery is the right application for a 2004 6i? I've been thinking about upgrading my battery. Also, is this a worthwhile upgrade? I know they look cool ;)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I was just looking into this the other night as well.. I like the fact you can also add upgraded battery terminals for other connections, instead of having all this crap crammed on the single + terminal :)

So.. yeah, what one do we need? :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
As long as it's 12V and can deliver at least the current that the stock battery can, it should be good. (A battery is a battery, right?). I'm planning on picking up the 850CCA Red Top pretty soon.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
That link says it fits NP on the v6 though, i wonder if there is any diffrence at all from the 4cyl.. ?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hmm i know that yellow top D34 fits our car... only a bit higher than the stock, but it will fit fine.... 1 of the members comfirms that actually.... i asked him, cz 1 of his mods includes yellow top optima....

Btw, i heard that after you use optima, you wont notice significant light dimming with your bass on, and your amps will run at optimum 14.4v.... just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have an Optima yellow top D34. All my aux. stuff including my amps are run off the side posts while I kept the factory connections up top. You can also go to numerous car stereo websites and find new battery post attachments to add places to connect wires. I have a + and - terminal in the garage that I didn't connect as it would have been too tall.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I was pretty close to buying a Red Top formyself on eBay for about $130 shipped...

Went to Discount Auto to buy some brake cleaner, and saw the Red Top there for only $109... so I took it!

I bought some terminals and this special "thing" (don't remmeber what it's called) to connect an additional terminal on the side for all my aux equipment (amp, inside/outside neons, 3 TV's, etc.).

It's pretty nice, and I can tell my car starts a bit faster, not that there was a problem before, but it's much better now. I plan on getting a cap for my subs in the trunk too. I'll take and post pics soon!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
since my redtop was removed my car takes like 3 seonds to start. I have the non vehicle specific battery. I'm gonna rig something up for it when I get a chance next day off.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Actually the Yellowtop has a lower CCA rating than a red top (both are still much higher than the stock battery). The difference between the two is that the yellow top is meant to be a deep cycle/starting battery so it can handle be drained over and over again without dying like most batteries do. Where as the red top is more like an improved conventional car battery.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
So...

1) Did I pay a good price for my Red Top? ($109)
2) Did I make a good chose, buying the Red Top, since I use it to hook up many electronics?

1 - 20 of 171 Posts