Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that its been discussed alot on here before, but i just find it hard to believe that there are only two different exhaust systems out right now for the ms6. Anyways, I have the money in hand because i was going to get portable navigation but I think that i have decided to just get exhaust for right now. So, I guess that my question is, Is the cp-e exhaust worth the extra money over the magnaflow?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have the magnaflow and am actually loving it. There was not a huge jump of power when I put it on, but the tone is the best part, it sounds really deep and not at all raspy. Also, there is no drone at higher speeds. As for melting the bumper, it did a small amount on the right side after I drove about 500 miles in one day, but other than that, it hasnt happened again (and you can't really tell that it did happen in the first place, i just pulled off the excess melted plastic). I plan on getting the cp-e downpipe so i can have a mix between power and decent sound levels.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just don't see droping $500-$600+ for something that only adds sound and minimal gains. So neither choice is a good decision IMO.

·
Registered
744 Posts
get the cpe you can feel the difference. imo, sometimes its a bit loud like early in the morning when im not realy awake yet. not too bad though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
get the cpe you can feel the difference. imo, sometimes its a bit loud like early in the morning when im not realy awake yet. not too bad though.
[/b]
I didn't feel much of a difference with the CPE. Honestly. Sure felt the lost torque until 5000 rpms though. It was really, really loud and annoying though. Each time I touched the gas it droned. I've owned several modified cars with aftermarket and/or custom exhausts and I just couldn't live with it.

I'll wait for the HKS one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure felt the lost torque until 5000 rpms though.[/b]

How in the world could you lose torque by opening up the exhaust system on a turbocharged car?

Exhibit A:

I don't see any loss of torque :headscrat:

·
Registered
214 Posts
gotta agree with Katter on this one... The cp-e exhaust is incredibly nice, and you can wihtout a doubt notice the power difference

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
gotta agree with Katter on this one... The cp-e exhaust is incredibly nice, and you can wihtout a doubt notice the power difference
[/b]

+1

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just don't see droping $500-$600+ for something that only adds sound and minimal gains. So neither choice is a good decision IMO.
[/b]

wow that's a sad way of thinking while going through life. what is your concept of minimal gains?
have you even seen what our exhaust looks like? while it maybe one of the better factory exhausts out there it still has a lot of room for improvement. have you at least seen the downpipe and the 2 cats in the system? turbocharged cars have always been more receiptive in terms of higher gains overall than their n/a counterparts.

for instance while an exhaust may only give 5+hp to a n/a car. you can see upwards of 30hp to the wheels with a good mandrel bent 3" exhaust on a turbo car. same goes for a downpipe on a turbo car.

while this car is quick for stock it still is a 4 door sedan and the stock exhaust and other things show that it was made for more civilized and luxury driving ie quiet. quiet=less hp=more restriction

but then again it is your opinion so do what you want

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/b]
see, it opinions like this that make me wonder. Im a newbie to turbo cars. I have always put exhaust on my vehicles but it mainly was for sound. Of course, they cost less than half of what the cp-e exhaust does. So please make up my mind for me, lol. The thing is, I dont mind paying alittle more for cp-e. I bought their intake and was amazed at the workmanship. Im a machinist by trade and work with metal and can appreciate good work and i realize that it takes more time to make quality parts and time=money. I dont mind loud exhaust so thats no a big deal to me. I just want to buy the exhaust that is going to suit my upgrade path. I plan on basically modded the car as far as my wallet will allow.(which will not be as much as some of you guys)but the point is that im not stopping at exhaust.

·
Registered
967 Posts
wow that's a sad way of thinking while going through life. what is your concept of minimal gains?
have you even seen what our exhaust looks like? while it maybe one of the better factory exhausts out there it still has a lot of room for improvement. have you at least seen the downpipe and the 2 cats in the system? turbocharged cars have always been more receiptive in terms of higher gains overall than their n/a counterparts.

for instance while an exhaust may only give 5+hp to a n/a car. you can see upwards of 30hp to the wheels with a good mandrel bent 3" exhaust on a turbo car. same goes for a downpipe on a turbo car.

while this car is quick for stock it still is a 4 door sedan and the stock exhaust and other things show that it was made for more civilized and luxury driving ie quiet. quiet=less hp=more restriction

but then again it is your opinion so do what you want
[/b]
And you think because I don't see the value in purchasing either exhaust that I have a sad way of thinking? Also to answer your questions YES I've seen the exaust and the downpipe and the cats. I've been under the car extensively. I have my own plans for the car and it doesn't involve paying out the butt on the"1st products on the market". I know A LOT more about cars than you're implying my friend. I have also probably owned and worked on more force induced cars than you have probably had in total cars. Currently in my stable I have two turbo cars and I just came off of a Mazdaspeed Protege. I'm also currently working on force inducing an SVT Focus engine that's being transplanted in my project/kit car. So please stop preaching to me. :sarc:

The stock MS6 is fine as it is for me. I don't have a need for it to be a road racer or an autocrosser as a lot of people on the boards seem to want their car to become. I'm going to mod it to my tastes but, leave it mostly stock. I don't need it to be, that much quicker than it is, or louder, or a 1/4 mile runner. I'm fortunate enough to have other cars and a motorcycle for those purposes.

see, it opinions like this that make me wonder. Im a newbie to turbo cars. I have always put exhaust on my vehicles but it mainly was for sound. Of course, they cost less than half of what the cp-e exhaust does. So please make up my mind for me, lol. The thing is, I dont mind paying alittle more for cp-e. I bought their intake and was amazed at the workmanship. Im a machinist by trade and work with metal and can appreciate good work and i realize that it takes more time to make quality parts and time=money. I dont mind loud exhaust so thats no a big deal to me. I just want to buy the exhaust that is going to suit my upgrade path. I plan on basically modded the car as far as my wallet will allow.(which will not be as much as some of you guys)but the point is that im not stopping at exhaust.
[/b]
Even if you're new to FI'd cars, folks are correct about allowing it to breathe. However, if you have a limited budget IMO the exhaust doesn't offer the bang for the buck unless you do the other things first then get the exhaust done. Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I myself am not planning on doing a catback, but if I had to swap out the mufflers I like this option... click....

Or I'd hit up Racing Beat....

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
And you think because I don't see the value in purchasing either exhaust that I have a sad way of thinking? Also to answer your questions YES I've seen the exaust and the downpipe and the cats. I've been under the car extensively. I have my own plans for the car and it doesn't involve paying out the butt on the"1st products on the market". I know A LOT more about cars than you're implying my friend. I have also probably owned and worked on more force induced cars than you have probably had in total cars. Currently in my stable I have two turbo cars and I just came off of a Mazdaspeed Protege. I'm also currently working on force inducing an SVT Focus engine that's being transplanted in my project/kit car. So please stop preaching to me. :sarc:

The stock MS6 is fine as it is for me. I don't have a need for it to be a road racer or an autocrosser as a lot of people on the boards seem to want their car to become. I'm going to mod it to my tastes but, leave it mostly stock. I don't need it to be, that much quicker than it is, or louder, or a 1/4 mile runner. I'm fortunate enough to have other cars and a motorcycle for those purposes.
Even if you're new to FI'd cars, folks are correct about allowing it to breathe. However, if you have a limited budget IMO the exhaust doesn't offer the bang for the buck unless you do the other things first then get the exhaust done. Just my two cents. :)
[/b]

Asswipe ALERT!!!!! Explain kopoTunnel Mr.Turbo Master what can be done to improve thi car That is more Cost effective than an Exhaust which Gives you a gain of 30 - 40+ in Torque which Wouldn't hurt this car....

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Asswipe ALERT!!!!! Explain kopoTunnel Mr.Turbo Master what can be done to improve thi car That is more Cost effective than an Exhaust which Gives you a gain of 30 - 40+ in Torque which Wouldn't hurt this car....
[/b]
Asswipre ALERT!!!! An exhaust cutout before the second cat on the DP!!! Stock car for daily driving, loud powerful car for enthusiast driving.... for $100 or less :)

In all seriousness though guys, no need to name call and bash each other, make this a decent discussion, I really don't want to close another one down!

·
Registered
967 Posts
[/b]
Wow, I'm an asswipe because I have an opinion? I'm surprised that I'm even taking the time to respond to your immature name calling post as obviously you can't have a civil discussion without resulting to childish antics. I never said that there wasn't a more cost effective method of gaining power and torque.As a matter of fact, THAT's exactly what the point of my opinion is. I also NEVER said that letting the car breathe would hurt it either. Reread my post, and strengthen your reading comprehension. :sarc:

In all seriousness though guys, no need to name call and bash each other, make this a decent discussion, I really don't want to close another one down!
[/b]
I was trying to be civil Wiggum. It's the other guys that seem to have a wild hair up their pipes. :)

Meh, it doesn't matter. I'll do what I want with my car(s). Everyone has a right to their opinion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Forgive the newbie ignorance,

Theoretically, if you do a full turbo-back exhaust upgrade, you'd net the biggest gains. However, if you do either a downpipe or catback, you still net gains while leaving the other bottleneck in place. How does this happen? I happen to like the stock exhaust sound, but would like to do an upgrade for performance reasons. I don't see how just changing the downpipe would net such big gains, if indeed the stock catback system is restrictive. Yes, I saw the dyno charts for the downpipe and they're pretty awesome looking; I'm just trying to understand how.

The one thing I wouldn't want to have happen is have an annoying drone when I'm cruising at highway speeds (I usually run between 3-4k rpms on the highway, I'm assuming it would be pretty loud with aftermarket mufflers...) Anybody have thoughts or opinions on what I just said? Is the stock exhaust gonna be a bottleneck I should look to upgrade first? Or can I keep it and still net big gains? Right now I'm thinking the CP-E noise might be too aggressive a sound for me to keep as a daily driver.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't see how just changing the downpipe would net such big gains, if indeed the stock catback system is restrictive. Yes, I saw the dyno charts for the downpipe and they're pretty awesome looking; I'm just trying to understand how.
[/b]
I can answer that. Find a picture of the stock downpipe.... See that huge cork right after the 90degree bend? Now thats a restrictor. Much more restrictive than the catback exhaust.

Can someone post a picture of the stock downpipe? I can't seem to find one right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts