Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone's tires filled with nitrogen? Is it worth paying the money for it? I've been wanting to fill mine up, but I wanted to weigh out the pros and cons to make sure it's not "glorified" air. I know I posted in the wrong section, but I figures there's a bunch of smart people in the MS6 section. Mods feel free to move. TIA :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I used to do it, gave up and stopped caring since my tires get screwed up way before they start experience rotting on the inside. i guess it'd be good if you want to always maintain a certain tire pressure, but i like to play around with mine for now and you cant really do that with nitrogen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got it without really thinking about it because the tire shop offered it for free when I bought the tires. One gripe I have is that it's not convenient to get them filled up to maintain pressure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion. Even with harsh winters around here my tires have held their pressure perfectly. A good tire mount/balance is the first place to start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The important diffference between air and nitrogen filled tires has nothing to do with nitrogen, it's the lack of water. Air is 79% nitrogen... Water vapor will expand at a different rate than the always gas molecules in the air leading to different hot pressures in the tires. Using dry air would be just as effective. This should probably be a serious track only concern. Save your money for something worthwhile.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
Come on now, there are smart people that own a regular 6 too!

Few fewer of them, but still... :)

Nitrogen is nice, but I won't EVER pay for it.

Reactions: Spazdog

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
I always thought one of the deals with a nitrogen fill would be getting the normal oxygen out. Hence the wheels with two valve stems.

I honestly thought it was a scam on single valve stem wheel/tire combos

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason is that my father in law is a manager at a Ford dealership and he can hook me up with nitrogen for a cheap price. I really don't rack the car or anything so I won't be playing with pressures. But, do far the responses I'm getting the most is it's not worth paying for. Depending on the price he gives me then I see from there.

I always thought one of the deals with a nitrogen fill would be getting the normal oxygen out. Hence the wheels with two valve stems.

I honestly thought it was a scam on single valve stem wheel/tire combos
My wheels have two valve stems for nitrogen provisions. I assume I could get a cheaper price for it. Never though of it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IMO, I wouldnt pay for it, not when I can get my tires aired up for the cost of running my compressor for a few minutes, but it would be nice not to have to mess around with airing up my tires all the time in the winter, but I still cant see paying for it.
Think of it this way, do you pay 75 cents to fill up your tires? If so, how often do you do it? If, in the long run, it would save some money that way, I would say go for it, If its something you really only have to do rarely, then it probably isnt worth the money.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There's a bunch of BS around it's use.

"Improves MPG" Well, if you read further, that statement is based on the assumption that the average person does not check their inflation as often as they should. And yes, nitrogen leaks less slowly, but if you check your pressures like I do (once every 2 weeks), they're not going to bleed-down enough to matter.

"Doesn't degrade the inside of the tire" OK, name even one time that you've heard of someone's tire needing to be replaced because the inside "degraded"..... Seems every tire I've replaced is because the treads were gone, or it was just a shit tire and I was tired of it. But have you ever had a friend say "The insides of my tires were worn-out and so I had to get new ones"?

Reactions: Spazdog

·
Registered
563 Posts
i got nitrogen on a whim. it was like 5 extra bucks when i got tires. i'd say it's not really worth it. my shop offers free nitro refills, so you can add normal air w/out negative effects. i've also thought about letting as much air outta the tires as possible and refilling with 'normal' air, but it's more trouble than its worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts