Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking for a Mazda 6 i. I would love to find a red one. It seems like every time i find one it's a hatchback. I don't necessarily want the hatchback but am considering it to get the color i want. So, my question is, is it worth it.

1. Are they noisier than the trunk version?
2. Is the resale value higher or lower than the trunk version?
3. I do some auto cross as well, are they as stiff?
4. if you were me, what would you do?

Any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey guys. I'm looking for a Mazda 6 i. I would love to find a red one. It seems like every time i find one it's a hatchback. I don't necessarily want the hatchback but am considering it to get the color i want. So, my question is, is it worth it.

1: Maybe a little. If you are worried about road noise get a Camry or Sonata.
2: As far as I can tell, there is no discernible difference
3: This is a point of great debate. The sedan guys insist that little strip of thin 22 gauge steel between the seatback and rear window stiffens their car greatly. I disagree and point out that many notably stiff cars (ie: Integra Type R etc...) are hatchbacks. If it is any stiffer, and it's not...but for the sake of argument let's say it is. The usability of the hatch far outweighs it's loss of stiffness. I can put my bike in there. I can put my generator in there. I can put my bike AND my generator in the hatch. You can't even fit the generator into the comically small trunk opening of a 6 sedan. (or an Altima. Or a Camry...)
4: If you are going to carry things in the back of your car, get the 5-door. Mazda only made like 11 wagons :sarc: and those guys LOVE their cars. They aren't giving them up. If you are only going to carry small things or your other car is a truck? Sedan is fine.

I actually carry things in my car. I am sold on the practicality of the 5-door. I hope like hell Saab brings it back because the 5 door in North America is being truckified and screwed up. Look what BMW did with that X6 nonsense.

I mean look at this! You can't do this with a trunk! I personally wouldn't do it, but it is possible. And possible without having to drive one of those ill-handling truckified "cross-over SUVs"

yes, I know that Mazda actually made more than 11 wagons.:lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
As for question number two, I will add that when I was looking to purchase my car, I drove at least 5 different 6es, but I had my mind made up that I did not want a hatch version. but every time one of those sleezy salesmen insisted on me looking at hatch, I did notice the price tag was slightly less than the sedan version...
I used the price difference to my advantage and got them to lower the price of the sedan at another dealership to that of the hatch which was a $2500 difference... I think the one I drove away in had a fewer miles, and was in better cosmetic condition as well.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When I bought my 6, I didn't know a hatch was available. If I could do it all over again, I'd get the hatch, no doubt. I usually detest hatchbacks because of the way they look, but a hatchback that looks like a sedan is just WIN! The only other hatchback I've ever liked is the Mazda3. Other than that, hatchbacks are fugly, and if I'm gonna drive something shaped like an SUV, it better have giant tires and be a foot off the ground like an SUV, too.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts

1. They are noisier, but I suggest you drive a version of both to see if the added noise would bother you or not. IMO it's not a HUGE difference, and wouldn't keep me from buying the 5-door.

2. According to some, resale values are terrible simply because it's a Mazda, but there's virtually no difference between the sedan and 5-door.

3. Not sure if there's a noticeable difference in stiffness. There may be if you're looking at 80K-mile examples compared to new...

4. Get the 5-door if you favor a hatch that looks like a sedan, and could use the extra cargo room. Get the sedan if you travel more often with passengers than cargo. Get either one if you want a smile on your face while clipping an apex with pinpoint accuracy. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
As for question number two, I will add that when I was looking to purchase my car, I drove at least 5 different 6es, but I had my mind made up that I did not want a hatch version. but every time one of those sleezy salesmen insisted on me looking at hatch, I did notice the price tag was slightly less than the sedan version...
I used the price difference to my advantage and got them to lower the price of the sedan at another dealership to that of the hatch which was a $2500 difference... I think the one I drove away in had a fewer miles, and was in better cosmetic condition as well.
Odd.
They had an 04 6S sedan next to the 5-door I ultimately bought. It was $1000 less than my car was (and being a year older, had a few more miles not many though....like 25K vs 29K)
I wonder if there would have been a price difference if the sedan had been an 05 as well?

When I bought my 6, I didn't know a hatch was available. If I could do it all over again, I'd get the hatch, no doubt. I usually detest hatchbacks because of the way they look, but a hatchback that looks like a sedan is just WIN! The only other hatchback I've ever liked is the Mazda3. Other than that, hatchbacks are fugly, and if I'm gonna drive something shaped like an SUV, it better have giant tires and be a foot off the ground like an SUV, too.
:lol::lol:

Mazda has pulled off a rarity with the 6 5-door. A 5-door that doesn't look like a Malibu Maxx.

SWEET!

ABOMINATION!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys have been extremely helpful. Thanks for all the great input. I'm buying one this weekend. I think I've made my choice. I'll post pictures as soon as i get it so you guy can see it. Until then... sit in suspense. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My one disappointment with the hatch is a definite lack of body torsional stiffness. Both the Mazda 3 hatch and the Protege 5 are stiffer in this regard.

·
Registered
572 Posts
best color evr!! lov my hatchback tho and ppl expressions when i open it up. u can put so much shit back there with the seats down. u just have the gt rims r did u get the whole gt pkg?

did i mention thats the best color?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts