Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wish I had that problem (we get piss 91 "Premium" here out West).

How much for 94 versus 92? I can boost my 91 with some 100 unleaded (available at the pump here in Vegas) but it's $4.99 per gallon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish I had that problem (we get piss 91 "Premium" here out West).

How much for 94 versus 92? I can boost my 91 with some 100 unleaded (available at the pump here in Vegas) but it's $4.99 per gallon.
[/b]

Same here it's 91 or nothing can get 100 but havent checked prices lately :tear:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah - gee - boo hoo. :)

Go for 94 - the higher the better.

Occasionally, I run about 5 gallons of 100 octane with a quart of Torco - it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello,

In my area there is no 93 octane. Should I use 94 or 92? Thanks!
[/b]
Run the 94. I mix TRICK 101 (http://www.trickgas.com/unleaded.htm) with regular CA 91 to get between 94-96 depending on what's left in the tank when I fill up. The car seems to run best 95+. Doesn't run so hot when I am running regular CA 91. Hesitation, stuttering, even occasional detonation. Then again California 91 is known for being a less performing fuel than what the rest of the country gets, so it's possible my 95 mix is equivalent to other states 93.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i wish we had 94 down here. on a trip to MI a couple months back i ran a couple tanks of 94 with a noticable increase in performance. on that note, i ran a tank of 92 and the car didn't like it (after running 93 it entire life), damn ohio.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Up here in MN the best you can find at the pumps is 92. :( I may have found a place that sells unleaded racing gas, but haven't stopped by. If anyone else up here knows where to find better than 92 let me know!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hello,

In my area there is no 93 octane. Should I use 94 or 92? Thanks!
[/b]
Manual and fuel door say 93 or better - I think short of blending (PITA) that leaves you with a clear and simple choice. ;)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
i wish we had 94 down here. on a trip to MI a couple months back i ran a couple tanks of 94 with a noticable increase in performance. on that note, i ran a tank of 92 and the car didn't like it (after running 93 it entire life), damn ohio.
[/b]
Yep, SUNOCO 94 is the tits.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Citgo 1/2 mile from me has leaded 110 octane racing fuel. Would it hurt the car to run a mix of 40% 110 leaded with 60% 93 unleaded for a single tank just to take to the track? I believe this would equate to about 98 octane, but I'm concerned as to what the lead may do (if anything).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The Citgo 1/2 mile from me has leaded 110 octane racing fuel. Would it hurt the car to run a mix of 40% 110 leaded with 60% 93 unleaded for a single tank just to take to the track? I believe this would equate to about 98 octane, but I'm concerned as to what the lead may do (if anything).
[/b]
Lead will kill your cats and 02 sensors, you might get away with one tank, but It could turn into a very expensive experiment.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can get 91, 92, 93 or 94. I usually only put 93 in. 92/ 93 won't make a difference, running 94 over 92/93 will though. Sounds stupid but its been proven before. Heck when I had my car dynoed the guy asked if I was running 93 or 94. Apparently there is a bigger difference there than between 93/92 (also considering 92/93 cost the same) 94 is usually about 5 cents more than 93/92.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
well the manual says 93 min...sooooooooo

·
Registered
353 Posts
well the manual says 93 min...sooooooooo
[/b]
I know, I only run at least 93. Just for whatever weird reason, the difference between 92 and 93 is not as much as 93 and 94. I don't know. Been stumped ever since it was proven to me. Doesn't make sense but whatever. Id run the 94 over the 92 though. I put 94 in whenever I need gas and I'm by the Sunoco that has it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well, around here we have the same: Mobil 94 vs everybody elses 92, and there's NO difference in performance. In fact I had catastrophic powerloss on more tanks of 94 than 92 (before the reflash). The guy with the 94 says he had the gas checked and it was correct, so perhaps different cars respond differently?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts