Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bose amp stopped putting out sound (radio works, can still hear the sub) i just yanked the seat and testing the 12v constant wire (y/b) im only getting 5v, how is this wire ran.... should i just run another to the battery?

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE (bmorrisj @ Feb 21 2010, 11:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638597
my bose amp stopped putting out sound (radio works, can still hear the sub) i just yanked the seat and testing the 12v constant wire (y/b) im only getting 5v, how is this wire ran.... should i just run another to the battery?[/b]
You've got a heavy gauge 12V line going from under the hood to the bose amp directly. It passes from the under hood fuse box through the main grommet through the firewall, to the plug grouping in the drivers side kick panel, then across the dash to the passenger side kickpanel, down the sill, then pokes through to the bose amp location under the seat. There is no additional distribution, there is no additional disconnecting. (there might be a molex in the passenger kickpanel, I'd check there too.

So here is what I'd do:

I'd take my trustly multimeter and a lead with a super sharp tip. The sharp tip pierces insulation so you don't damage your wiring to take readings. You've read at the amp, now read under the hood at the fuse, in the drivers kick above and below the molex, and at the passenger kick above and below the molex if you find a y/b heavy gauge wire in the big molex that is there.

At some point in time you are going to have a voltage change from 12 to 5 and that will indicate where you have a sketchy connection.

It might be as simple as reseating a molex, or maybe a wire popped out of the molex somewhere.

Don't forget also to read the y/b wire with the amp unplugged to see if there is something internal to the bose amp that is pulling the wire down to 5V. Shouldn't be the case since that will likely blow the fuse under the hood. But can be checked anyways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts