Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone here use either of the online car buying services to buy there Mazda6? Services such as Carsdirect, Autobytel, Carpoint, Yahoo Autos, etc.

If you did, how was the experience? Did you get a good deal in your opinion?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Online Car Buying Services?'

I used carpoint.com as a starting point for quotes. Basically I configured the car the way I wanted it and got their price .. which came out to 24,000 ... about 800 over invoice. I then went back to the site and selected some of their recommended dealers and worked on the 800 over invoice quote from there. After a week or so I'm down to 250 over invoice from the dealers around here! Its been way too easy so I'm thinking they may go lower? I may be being greedy here :D

But to answer your question .. they give decent prices on those sites, but you can probably do better. Just use those sites as a tool/leverage for bargaining at a local dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Good points. I just quoted the following Mazda6 on CarsDirect.com

Mazda6 s (Manual transmission)
Sports package
Bose Stereo
$21,965

This is $623 above invoice, which is pretty good. But like you said, I know I can find a local dealer willing to beat it. I have 10 Mazda dealers within 50 miles of where I live. I'll buy from the one which gives me the lowest price.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: Online Car Buying Services?

I usually use edmunds.com to look up invoice, and then baragin myself. I've found that if one dealer isn't willing to bargain, another will be. And if a dealer won't bargain the first time, walk out. Come on, there's no reason to bargain unless the customer walks out, right? I've found that you can get much better prices this way as opposed to an online service...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

I usually use edmunds.com to look up invoice, and then baragin myself.  I've found that if one dealer isn't willing to bargain, another will be.  And if a dealer won't bargain the first time, walk out.  Come on, there's no reason to bargain unless the customer walks out, right?  I've found that you can get much better prices this way as opposed to an online service...[/b]
Also, beware of the Carsdirect "invoice" price - it's usually $200 higher than the TRUE invoice price, as their invoice price includes some sort of advertising fee (see the fine print)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by moocat

I usually use edmunds.com to look up invoice, and then baragin myself.  I've found that if one dealer isn't willing to bargain, another will be.  And if a dealer won't bargain the first time, walk out.  Come on, there's no reason to bargain unless the customer walks out, right?  I've found that you can get much better prices this way as opposed to an online service...[/b]
Also, beware of the Carsdirect "invoice" price - it's usually $200 higher than the TRUE invoice price, as their invoice price includes some sort of advertising fee (see the fine print)[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that. But I used the invoice listing from Edmunds anyway, just to be safe.

My problem is I think I will get Lapis Blue. Closest dealer to me with the exact equipment is 90 miles away. You think my local dealer will give me my price AND retrieve the vehicle for me?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

It's common practice for a dealer to sell a car that's located half way across the country! 90 miles is nothing. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by MX6Victim

Originally posted by moocat

Also, beware of the Carsdirect "invoice" price - it's usually $200 higher than the TRUE invoice price, as their invoice price includes some sort of advertising fee (see the fine print)[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that. But I used the invoice listing from Edmunds anyway, just to be safe.

My problem is I think I will get Lapis Blue. Closest dealer to me with the exact equipment is 90 miles away. You think my local dealer will give me my price AND retrieve the vehicle for me?[/b][/quote]

Sure, let them know where exactly it is. Keep in mind that the specific car may be sold and the website just hasn't been updated. Dealer trades are very common as others pointed out, however, keep in mind that someone other than you is going to be driving your car a long distance in those precious first miles.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Someone other than you could be taking the car out for a test drive right now, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Someone other than you could be taking the car out for a test drive right now, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  :D[/b]
Oh, no.. my car was in a dark warehouse nowhere near the dealership. I turned it on, two whole miles on the clock :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

2 miles? That's almost unheard of! The only car that had less miles that I've ever heard of was when Pfiefer sold his DeLorean, 0 miles. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts

Just for your own info, "ad fees", "port fees", etc... are legit fees. If the fee appears on the real dealer invoice, then it is charged to the dealer. However, these fees do vary. Audi charges around $300 for it's "add" fee whereas Subaru is about $1.50. These fees are subject to location as some bigger market dealers charge more than small market dealers which may pay almost nothing. Almost all of the invoice info place on the net don't list this "fees", but they do address them and they do tell you that they are LEGIT.

Now, fee's for "paint protection", or "added value package", etc... are not legit and are used by dealers to pad their profit. Basically, if it's on the real invoice, then it's legit. That's why when negociating price ask about any and ALL fees including "doc" fees and such. Dealers vary how much they charge for this as well. Some may charge only $40 for a doc fee while others try to get away with $80. The "doc" fee is common but not so legit as it's a fee the dealer wants to charge for doing the paper work. You have to be fair as well, if you're getting the car at invoice, the dealer is making very little profit so paying a small doc fee may not be so unreasonable.

If you've got a price for $250 over invoice, make sure that that dealer won't add on "fees" which the other dealers may not. It could make a great deal look not so good all of a sudden.
Once you know the invoice and how much around invoice the dealer is asking, then come up with the all inclusive "out the door" price you are willing to pay. In that offer make sure to include your tax, title, plate fees (if applicable). If you're out of state, then you should pay your taxes, title, and plate fees in your own state. Having an "out the door" price as a final offer will let you know who's giving the best deal as the fees should be included in the "out the door" number.

As far as out of state purchases, many states do charge a legit fee for a "drive away" plate. However, that plate is charged by the state and has a set fee. Many dealers will pad that cost as well. I had a 2 dealers tell me that the drive away plate fee was $12 by one and the other guy said it was $15. I found out that the real fee is only $6 charged by the state. It's only a few dollars but this is how they nickle and dime you to pad their profit. Just read everything carefully before signing. DO NOT assume that after you've agreed on a price that the paper work and contracts will
be correct naturally. Some people are awful and they will try and take what they can if you're not watching. READ before you sign!

Good luck shopping. I'm lucky in that I found a dealer willing to do "S" plan pricing which is purchase plan for Ford, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar employees and their families. This price is normally invoice price and a bit lower. NO negociating required, just tell them your plan number and you get that price.

Tome

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

If you've got a price for $250 over invoice, make sure that that dealer won't add on "fees" which the other dealers may not.  It could make a great deal look not so good all of a sudden.[/b]
A Nissan dealer tried this with me. I negotiated the price of a car down to a few bucks over invoice, then he whips out the sales contract, and starts adding destination, documentation ($199); preparation ($199); plus a whole host of $20 and $10 fees here and there. It's amazing what these people will try.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

You know, car dealerships are businesses. They're not in the business to make absolutely no money, just to be a middle man between Mazda and you. They need to make money somehow, and with people that negotiate to like, $3 over invoice, that's how they do it. Expecting to pay $5 over invoice with no fees is unrealistic. These people have to eat.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

You know, car dealerships are businesses.  They're not in the business to make absolutely no money, just to be a middle man between Mazda and you.  They need to make money somehow, and with people that negotiate to like, $3 over invoice, that's how they do it.  Expecting to pay $5 over invoice with no fees is unrealistic.  These people have to eat.[/b]
That's what negotiating is for. Giving you a good deal like "$3 over invoice", when the deal is all smoke and mirrors is dishonest if there are almost a grand in bullshit fees being added on top.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You know, car dealerships are businesses.  They're not in the business to make absolutely no money, just to be a middle man between Mazda and you.  They need to make money somehow, and with people that negotiate to like, $3 over invoice, that's how they do it.  Expecting to pay $5 over invoice with no fees is unrealistic.  These people have to eat.[/b]
Yeah, but there are most people who just go in and pay MSRP (i know a few dummies too). When a person like this comes in, the dealer gorges himself on profit, so it all evens out. Believe me , they are not starving at dealerships.

BTW, I sent out e-mails to 5 area delaerships requesting quotes on the Mazda6s. I'll post back with what I get offered.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Online Car Buying Services?'

My father managed a dealership for around 5 years. No, they aren't starving. Invoice is invoice, however. If you buy a car for invoice, the dealership doesn't make any money. Now, they get the holdback, eventually, but not right away. Any fees in the invoice are genuine fees, and are not profit makers for the dealership, it's illegal to do that.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I'm all for making sure a sales guy gets his due, but doesn't the mfr. also offer additional incentives to the dealer, besides the hold-back?

·
Registered
980 Posts

Does anyone know any sites where I can get invoice prices but for the Canadian market with obviously Canadian pricing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts