Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happens:
1) Back out of a driveway or garage (reverse)
2) Put her into drive and move forward
3) The first time I use the brakes I hear a click / pop in the front
This does not happen again until I reverse.

A dealership and a standard tire/brake shop both told me this is from the shifting of the brake assembly (rotors?) when I reverse the car and then proceed forward. The "clicking" is the assembly being moved forward after it was shifted backward. One mechanic pointed out a metallic plate in the brake area (sorry for lack of detail) and said it was a spring that only Mazda could replace. The Mazda service tech said there's nothing wrong with it, and compared it to Corvettes which are worse in doing this. My issue is that my 6 has not done this in the first 24 of the 30 months I've owned it. It's a minor issue, but annoying at the same time. Anyone else have it? Any resolution?

·
Registered
11 Posts
At least I'm not the only one with this problem (posted same query yesterday). Could it be that the pads are moving up/down(following the rotor) in the carrier? How much play should there be? When others say that the problem disappears after replacement pads are fitted....could it be duff pads? On the other hand, others mention the problem occurring after an amount of miles have been put on the car which makes me think of something wearing down causing more play. My wagon goes in for its 25K service in Oct. which will include a brake inspection so I'll get them to strip them down to see whats what.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pretty common I think. Mine started doing this after about 2-3 months but it cleared up after changing pads the first time. It's been back for a long time now, but only happens on the first brake application after sitting for awhile. I've sort of just been living with it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
The brakepads can move slightly in the direction of the rotor, since there is a tiny gap between the brakepad and the caliber guides (dunno what these guides are called)
Once the pads engage the rotor they will be pulled in that direction (a fraction of an inch) come to a stop, and making the little sound.

I once took a front wheel off my car to look for what caused the same sound as you describe, and I could see the pads were able to move slightly back and forth in the caliber even after they had engaged the rotor..... that explains one "click" every time you change direction.

I live fine with it too ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's what happens:
1) Back out of a driveway or garage (reverse)
2) Put her into drive and move forward
3) The first time I use the brakes I hear a click / pop in the front
This does not happen again until I reverse.

A dealership and a standard tire/brake shop both told me this is from the shifting of the brake assembly (rotors?) when I reverse the car and then proceed forward. The "clicking" is the assembly being moved forward after it was shifted backward. One mechanic pointed out a metallic plate in the brake area (sorry for lack of detail) and said it was a spring that only Mazda could replace. The Mazda service tech said there's nothing wrong with it, and compared it to Corvettes which are worse in doing this. My issue is that my 6 has not done this in the first 24 of the 30 months I've owned it. It's a minor issue, but annoying at the same time. Anyone else have it? Any resolution?
[/b]
My local dealer just replaced the front pads today on my '06 with 7700 miles for the same symptom you described. I started hearing it at about 5k miles. The work order shows the following:

Installed KJ01-13-321 :SPACER
Installed GPYB-33-23ZE :pAD SET, FRT CALIPER

So far no clicking, but only time will tell if it's fixed for the life of the new pads. They gave me a loaner 6 with less than 4k miles on the clock and it made the same noise!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts