Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Sweden's largest newspaper Aftonbladet published a big test in their weekly carspecial.

Mazda6 was up against Alfa 156, Audi A4, BMW 320i, Ford Mondeo V6, Saab 9-3 2,0 T and Volvo S60 2,4

The Mazda6 was the 2.3 Sport.

So, how did it do? Well, let me start from the beginning.

First the paper stated that all cars are actually very good, and so close that it is much a matter of personal taste which one to choose.

Then the battle began.

Round 1: To own. Ford wins just ahead of Mazda, Volvo (all with 4+) leaving Audi (3+) and BMW/Alfa Romeo (1+) behind.

The Ford wins due to the fact that it was cheaper than the others, despite a higher gas consumption.

Round 2: To drive. Saab gets 5+, with Mazda on second with 4+ (as all the others but BMW, that got only 3+). They state that Mazda is so good that it's only a matter of taste if you prefer it in front of BMW, Audi, Saab or Volvo.

Round 3: Comfort. I'll tell you right away: again this is not the strong side of the 6 in tests. Mazda gets beat up because of high road noise (we've seen tests that tells the opposite here, where they actually measured.) But Mazda also gets criticized for a bit rough ride. Grades: Saab and Volvo 4+, Ford, Audi and BMW 3+, Alfa 2+ and Mazda...well...1+ (sigh). [a personal remark here: this is silly and just because they didn't find anything to complain about - the car isn't as noisy as they say]

Round 4: Space. Despite that Mazda has as large interior space as Ford Mondeo and also a LARGER trunk, the paper places Ford ahead of Mazda. Both gets 4+ though with Saab 3+ and the rest of the cars getting 2+ only.

Round 5: Safety. It's strange that they keep comparing cars that have been tested in Euro-NCAP with those that weren't and keep giving lower grades to those that weren't. That punishes Mazda here. Saab and Volvo gets full score (5+); Audi, Ford and BMW 4+, Mazda 3+ and Alfa also 3+.

Round6: Feeling. Well, no surprise is that BMW, Saab and Volvo (the two latter which are swedish car makers - GM/Ford owned though) scores a full 5+. Alfa, Audi and Mazda (in that order) gets 4+ and Ford 3+. They like the Mazda (but thinks the Alu-look interior is a bit youthish) but again punishes the Mazda for high noise and a bit rough ride.

Another thing the paper says about the Mazda6 is that they find the headlights insufficient. "When it gets dark outside, the lack of headlights become obvious. The Xenon lights are half-good but the headlight with projection technique is useless. Perhaps the worst I've seen in a modern car". Well, that's harsch.

Mada gets an overall score of 3+ (Alfa 2+, Audi 4+, BMW 3+, Ford 4+, Saab 4+ and Volvo 4+). Mazda's final verdict: "Fast, safe with a sporty body and 166 hp, Mazda6 can fight the prestigeous brands - and do it well. The new Mazda6 is fast, safe and has fine handling and engine. Large interior space and big trunk.

If I count the number of +'es:

Saab 9-3 26
Volvo S60 24
Mazda6 20
Audi 20 (same as Mazda6, still Audi got a better over-all score)
BMW 18
Alfa 16

As I said: Saab and Volvo are Swedish makes. Could you tell?

:sarc

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'One test it didn't win...'

Mazda's final verdict: "Fast, safe with a sporty body and 166 hp, Mazda6 can fight the prestigeous brands - and do it well. The new Mazda6 is fast, safe and has fine handling and engine. Large interior space and big trunk.[/b]
It really does come down to personal taste for me with these cars, the Mazda Wins, in my opinion anyhow......!

Also a Major factor is that the Mazda 6 is significantly cheaper than all of the other cars in Australia.

You can't even get the Ford Mondeo In Australia (maybe we are Lucky?)

Cheers
Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Congrats, Rod!

Now you're as pathetic as the rest of us p-w:s....:hoho

·
Registered
305 Posts

Interesting.

I wonder if it was a "home" bias that had them rate the new 9-3 so high. We have a 2001 9-3 and really like it. Wonderful handling, great character, the fabled HATCHBACK we all so want in our Mazda6s, plenty of turbo power.

But the 2003 9-3? Ugh. NO character. The only thing that says "Saab" is the center-mounted key. Otherwise, it could be one of the Chevy's it shares a platform with.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I agree, the new 9-3 is too GM-ed. I liked the old one better.

And what's more, Saab has ditched the hatch - now 9-3 comes only as a sedan. Now that the market finally (after all years) - in US I mean - has begun to appreciate them.

Talk about bad timing...:sarc

·
Registered
87 Posts

That's a swedish newspaper, they're going to give the swedish brands the highest scores. I've driven Volvos, my mom owns one. They do not handle all that well, certainly not as good as Japanese cars.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You didn't drive a new Volvo I hear.

The S60 (for example) has an excellent handling. As does the S80 and V70.

But the rest comes down to taste...and Swede or not, I prefer the Mazda6...:D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by RodneyJ

BTW :  I  just realised I am now a post whore, 3 stars !!!  LOL ![/b]
Congratulations on your journey into post-whoredom!

·
Registered
510 Posts

Thanks Applejax & Steve,

However, I don't think I will make it to 1000 posts though !! - LOL !

Cheers
Rod

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Yes quite a biased review I do believe.

And you've got to make a post-whore forum. Just so people can get this out of their systems.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Oh, one should never say never![/b]
I really love this site, so it could be possible..............But it may take me a few years......!

Oh well theres another post to add to the list !!

Cheers
Rod

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

I doubt it. I'll be on this forum for many month's to come as I anticipate the release of this car here. But after that I'll no doubt be hopelessly addicted to this forum.
Meh, c'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by Kincaid

Yes quite a biased review I do believe.

And you've got to make a post-whore forum. Just so people can get this out of their systems.[/b]
A good idea.

No - a GREAT idea!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts

Kincaid,

You have only 23 posts to go & counting until you join the exclusive......

"Post Whores Club !!!"

Cheers
Rod

1 - 20 of 38 Posts