Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this subject and I am not finding any clear answers. One thread ended with someone planning on contacting Mazda for clarification. Another thread ended with someone indicating how manufacturers market engines as 87-Octane required, but these engines actually gain performance with premium etc. No one came up with a solution though.

What is the truth? Is the minimum requirement 87, but we can put 93 into it to imrprove performance slightly? I need to get my first fillup within the next day and I dont know whether to put in 87 or 93.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Reading Topic: Once Again... Premium Fuel or Not

Higher Octane numbers measures the fuels ability to resist detonation. This means that unless your car is set up to use premium (timing advanced) you will most likely not see any benefit whatsoever, and could actually be worse for the car since there is more chance of the fuel not burning completely. the only exception I could see to this would be if its really really hot out and the car starts pinging (detonating before its supposed to). So..if your not convinced then run a tank and see if you honestly feel a difference, I personally havent tried it in the 6 yet but have never noticed a difference in any other vehicle I've owned, w/ the exception of my old truck w/ a chip installed, and my old nighthawk (air cooled) in hot weather. both are very common situations for the need of premium.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I have tried a couple of tanks of premium after the engine was broken in (4K) but I did an ECU reset after filling the tank. Did seem to have a little more pep but it may all be in my mind (wishfull thinking).

Butt dynos are easily fooled. Not about to spend the money for dyno time to prove it one way or the other.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Once Again... Premium Fuel or Not'

I am not sure if the inside of the regular fuel door is the same, but I got the add-on fchrome gas door and the inside of it has a sticker that says "Premium Fuel Recommended".
I think you are safe if you use 87 octane. thats what the manual states.

·
Registered
526 Posts

The advice I've always heard is to use the lowest octane rating that prevents pre-deotnation (knock). I've run 5000+ miles using 87 with nothing but purring from the motor.

The manual says use 87. What's to debate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Looks like I'll be putting 87 in it. But if I get blown out by some grandma in an automatic Altima, you guys better hide!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

The advice I've always heard is to use the lowest octane rating that prevents pre-deotnation (knock).  I've run 5000+ miles using 87 with nothing but purring from the motor.

The manual says use 87.  What's to debate?[/b]
Only thing is that with modern Engine Management the ECU will keep pulling timing as long as the knock sensor detects ping (down to a preset minium). My 02 Miata calls for 91 octane for "best performance", but it will run OK on 87 just that the ECU will pull some timing out as it detects knock. You can feel the difference in performance from 87 to 91.

If somebody really wanted to send some money and time on a dyno they could find out by watching how much timing the ECU pulls on each type of fuel.

Anybody have a real cloe friend who runs a shop with a dyno?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Looks like I'll be putting 87 in it. But if I get blown out by some grandma in an automatic Altima, you guys better hide![/b]
If this happens I'll be to busy laughing to hide ;) But if my theory is correct you would get blown out anyway, premuim or not and those altima's should be pretty quick so I wouldnt be to ashamed, as long as I could see the driver and not just a puff of blue hair!

·
Registered
526 Posts

I still don't get this debate. The manual says 87. What more does anyone need. 87 will burn sooner and a 'little' hotter (bigger bang) than 91 or 93 - theoretically providing more power. Higher octane means it's actually HARDER to ignite.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I still don't get this debate.  The manual says 87.  What more does anyone need.  87 will burn sooner and a 'little' hotter (bigger bang) than 91 or 93 - theoretically providing more power.  Higher octane means it's actually HARDER to ignite.[/b]
Do a google for "octane advance timing" and you will understand.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by Kristoff

I still don't get this debate.  The manual says 87.  What more does anyone need.  87 will burn sooner and a 'little' hotter (bigger bang) than 91 or 93 - theoretically providing more power.  Higher octane means it's actually HARDER to ignite.[/b]
Do a google for "octane advance timing" and you will understand.[/b][/quote]

Thank you.

(stepping on soap box) Ahem. Personally - if this is what people are down to in order to 'find' power, you bought the wrong damn car. Too many doors.

I can't believe that the added cost of gas would be enough to warrant any possible advantage in day to day driving. So what if you find 5 or 10 hp? You'll never feel it, it'll mostly be in your mind and no where else. When are you going to actually use it?

Dare I say most of us here can't effectively use what the car comes with stock. Drive 87 and take the money saved to a bona-fide driving school, or start auto-crossing. You'll go so much faster it's scary. (steps off soapbox)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I felt a loss in power using 93 octane vs 87. But it could have all been in my head

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

is it true that most v6 engines require premium gas????

also heard that the 6 v6 engine can take regular whereas other usual v6 can't
anyways this issue been debated back and forth and i'm still using regular :zzz

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by Ichi

is it true that most v6 engines require premium gas????

also heard that the 6 v6 engine can take regular whereas other usual v6 can't
anyways this issue been debated back and forth and i'm still using regular  :zzz[/b]
It has everything to do with what the engine was designed for. There is no blanket statement that v6's require premium. The manual says use 87 for the 6. Other cars say premium only.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Once Again... Premium Fuel or Not

i noticed a very little gain in mileage you can make with higher octane, on another car with bigger engine (V8, not the juice Mazda 6 Freak)... that's the only thing i remarked though... and is it worth the price?

I will keep going with 87...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts