Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://yahoo.businessweek.com/autos/conten...1212_753286.htm

"At next month's North American International Auto Show, BusinessWeek.com has learned that Ford Motor (F) will show a rear-drive Lincoln concept car. It will be based on the same rear-drive chassis and engineering architecture it is planning for a future design of Ford Australia's popular Falcon model. "

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wish them luck but it seems a little too late. Plus who are they targeting with this? Enthusiasts?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish them luck but it seems a little too late. Plus who are they targeting with this? Enthusiasts?
[/b]
I think your missing the point. I believe they are tryin gto breath new life into the lineup with a thing called style!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
I think your missing the point. I believe they are tryin gto breath new life into the lineup with a thing called style!
[/b]
"Style" may be a bit of a stretch, especially with the current interiors. I'll have to wait and see it to believe it.

Other than that, Lincoln NEEDS a modern rear-drive platform, and they need to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[/quote
In the Late 80s Ford put all of its r&d money into trucks and suvs. For a while it worked, the Explorer was everywhere and it was a major cash cow. When the bottom fell out of the truck market, Ford didn't have any >>new<< cars to sell. The focus did well, but that was it. The Lincoln LS was a sales flop. To make matters worse, Caddy had a [/b]good rwd platform, a full blown racing program and v8 power! I won't even mention the Chrysler 300 Hemi. Add to this, the Ford 500 styling disaster and sales flop, and the handwriting on the was pretty clear. To solve this problem in the short term the plan was simple. Clone the 6, stretch it 2in. and call it the Fusion, Milan and MKZ. The long term plan...import the next gen Falcon. I hope they get it right. Cars from other markets tend to be watered down for the US market. If we get a real Falcon, it will be a hit.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Chrysler 300 actually sells pretty darn well from what I have seen. they're all over the road.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
But, if Ford does bring the Falcon over for the Lincoln line, it just might be watered down because Lincoln doesn't aim for the enthusiast. Or, if it does, does so very poorly. I understand the need to re-energize the line but don't bring nice cars over and re-tool them for the 50+ age market. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But, if Ford does bring the Falcon over for the Lincoln line, it just might be watered down because Lincoln doesn't aim for the enthusiast. Or, if it does, does so very poorly. I understand the need to re-energize the line but don't bring nice cars over and re-tool them for the 50+ age market. My 2 cents.
[/b]
Yea but Lincoln's arent exactly cheap cars. This RWD sedan would be at least 35k. Younger ppl usually don't have that money or are looking for something fun and sporty.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Damnit why won't Ford bring the Falcon over as the Falcon?!?! It would outsell the Mazda6-based-sedans from the other Ford subsidiaries combined!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I want that turbo inline 6 in the XR6 and that V8 in the XR8.
[/b]
yup..me too. I love those 2.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I didn't like the old Falcon, and I don't like the new Falcon. They should just let it stay dead!

PS.
mazda gremlyn, is that a gerbil coming out of a rectum in your avatar? LOL

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I don't get where they are swaying the Lincoln LS or the Five Hundred sold poorly. You see far more Lincoln LS units on the road here than the Cadillac CTS. It just stayed too long at the party without a redesign. The Five Hundred may be overly bland, but is selling the expected units.

However, Ford needs to get back into making cars that are something special. The 1986 Taurus revolutionized the market. Ford needs to have the balls to do that again, rather than just trying to perfect the existing mold.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't get where they are swaying the Lincoln LS or the Five Hundred sold poorly. You see far more Lincoln LS units on the road here than the Cadillac CTS. It just stayed too long at the party without a redesign. The Five Hundred may be overly bland, but is selling the expected units.

However, Ford needs to get back into making cars that are something special. The 1986 Taurus revolutionized the market. Ford needs to have the balls to do that again, rather than just trying to perfect the existing mold.
[/b]
I agree. I see the LS around quite a bit and was in the market for one before I bought the 6. The first couple years of production had a more enthuasiast-oriented approach with manual options and etc. The big problem with the LS that are out here is that everyone is holding on to them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts