Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read posts about powder caoting rims on ms6...hmm well i'm a toy freak in every sense...dirtbikes, boats, trucks, and yes r/c cars...well being the rims are aluminum, has anyone evr triend to anodize em? blue, red, whatever..just wonderin if its been done or can be...some of my dirtbikes and r/c's really come to life with anodized rims...just a thought...flame away if you must

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well they would have to be stripped down to bare aluminum and it would cost quite a bit for anodizing such a large piece, but if you want to give it a try then go for it. Im guessing there is some other reason why you cant do anodizing that I dont know about since I have yet to seen an anodized rim.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i am interested in powder coating them. I think my velocity red would look good with white stock rims. is anodizing them different than powder coating?

·
Registered
294 Posts
i am interested in powder coating them. I think my velocity red would look good with white stock rims. is anodizing them different than powder coating?
[/b]
Anodizing is very different than powder coating. Aluminum naturally "grows" aluminum oxide when exposed to air. Aluminum oxide is a great protector and insulator of aluminum. Anodizing aluminum means using sulfuric acid and electricity to "grow" a thick layer of aluminum oxide on the surface. Since it is grown into the aluminum, it is very hard to separate and is nearly indestructible.

Powder coating, on the other hand, is just eletrically charging powder, then spraying it onto the wheel. Then, use heat to melt the powder to form "paint." It works the same way as a laser printer or copying machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/b]
anodizing puts pigment into the pores of the aluminum..and is done by some sort of electrical means..never got around to trying it on rc parts..but the outcome is the shiney metalic color...details are beyond me..so if anyone can help out with a bit more technical answer that would rock...powder coating is a bit dif..its a coating lol..best i can do with my meager knowledge..i'll see if i can find a pic of an anodized part

Anodizing is very different than powder coating. Aluminum naturally "grows" aluminum oxide when exposed to air. Aluminum oxide is a great protector and insulator of aluminum. Anodizing aluminum means using sulfuric acid and electricity to "grow" a thick layer of aluminum oxide on the surface. Since it is grown into the aluminum, it is very hard to separate and is nearly indestructible.

Powder coating, on the other hand, is just eletrically charging powder, then spraying it onto the wheel. Then, use heat to melt the powder to form "paint." It works the same way as a laser printer or copying machine.
[/b]

cool thanks..beat me to the answer and much better sounding...so why is it not being done...from dirtbike experience, you really have to get a major gouge to remove color on anodized stuff and color selection is pretty wide..they even go as far as multi colored mists and dif patterns...check autococker paintball guns..have some very nice anodizing jobs on em and at least you'll see what i'm talkin about

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
cool thanks..beat me to the answer and much better sounding...so why is it not being done...from dirtbike experience, you really have to get a major gouge to remove color on anodized stuff and color selection is pretty wide..they even go as far as multi colored mists and dif patterns...check autococker paintball guns..have some very nice anodizing jobs on em and at least you'll see what i'm talkin about
[/b]
Hmm, I would say the opposite about most anodizing. Unless it is done very well and very hard it can scratch easily (had several paintball guns where the glossy finish attracted scratches like no other). It is true you can make some very sweet designs and finishes including acid wash, fades, and dust finishes, but even if a rock hit it at high velocity I think it would get scratched easier than powdercoating. The hardest anodizing I have ever seen was on my AKA Viking paintball gun where you really could drop it in a bed of rocks and it would be fine, yet I dont think you can get a glossy coat that hard :swearin: .

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
you can't anodize cast aluiminum...it has too much zinc in it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I would say the opposite about most anodizing. Unless it is done very well and very hard it can scratch easily (had several paintball guns where the glossy finish attracted scratches like no other). It is true you can make some very sweet designs and finishes including acid wash, fades, and dust finishes, but even if a rock hit it at high velocity I think it would get scratched easier than powdercoating. The hardest anodizing I have ever seen was on my AKA Viking paintball gun where you really could drop it in a bed of rocks and it would be fine, yet I dont think you can get a glossy coat that hard :swearin: .
[/b]

i agree for the most part on cheaper stuff..but examples i'm goin of of is bars and rims on my bike..take a good beating...i'm just curious if a high quality anodizing can be done or has been done to car rims..and as far as rims go i never have a prob with flying objects just curb scuff back when i was a kid..thing of the past for me..so i would think it should hold up well..not flaming by any means...but i definatly agree there is good and bad anodizing done

[/b]

not all rims are cast are they?...if i buy a set of rims i'd go withcustum turned rims. i do believe people are turning solid alum..example foose

i agree for the most part on cheaper stuff..but examples i'm goin of of is bars and rims on my bike..take a good beating...i'm just curious if a high quality anodizing can be done or has been done to car rims..and as far as rims go i never have a prob with flying objects just curb scuff back when i was a kid..thing of the past for me..so i would think it should hold up well..not flaming by any means...but i definatly agree there is good and bad anodizing done
not all rims are cast are they?...if i buy a set of rims i'd go withcustum turned rims. i do believe people are turning solid alum..example foose
[/b]

i could definatly be wrong though

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you wont find an aftermarket aluminum rim thats cheap enough that isnt cast to anodize.

you want to buy some rims that are turned from solid blocks of aluminum, youll be running your costs into the grands per wheel.

so, no, with the stockers you cannot do this.

its all fine and cool, i mean the coating that oxidizes on alumium is much harder than any powdercoating will get you.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
[/b]
Different aluminums have different properties which does make it more difficult to anodize certain varieties than others, a key to a good annodize is material preperation, in the case of aluuminum revmoving all coatings including the natural aluminum oxide layer from the metal is key. Sulfuric acid is not always used but for home anodizing it is the easiest to find.

After a part is anodized it must be properly "sealed." If this is not done it can scratch easy and the anodized color can fade.

Powder coating on the other hand can be done on any metal that can conduct and a much thicker layer can be placed on than the aluminum okide that is formed from the annodize process. After the metal is coated with the dry powder it is "baked" in an oven for 500 deg (i think) for a certain amount of time, then simply let it cool and it is ready to go.

Instead of coating the speed6's wheels id recomend buying better looking, lighter ones :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
i've read posts about powder caoting rims on ms6...hmm well i'm a toy freak in every sense...dirtbikes, boats, trucks, and yes r/c cars...well being the rims are aluminum, has anyone evr triend to anodize em? blue, red, whatever..just wonderin if its been done or can be...some of my dirtbikes and r/c's really come to life with anodized rims...just a thought...flame away if you must
[/b]

Don't know too much regarding the specifics of anodizing, but it can be done on automotive wheels. Kinesis offers some of their wheels with anodized finishes:

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/finishes5.htm

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/finishes6.htm (click on the 914 picture in the lower left corner to see red anodized)

Whether or not you can anodize the stock MS6 rims...Probably not easily, if at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
dstone20
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing