Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the recently released specs of the honda accord are quite good. 240hhp 222tq. with honda tech saying 250232 with premium fuel usage. Nissan altima will be rated at 250hp,, im sure no new changes, just a nissan ploy. we all know that the maxima and the altima have the same engines.
Now, the 6 by far is the best looking and will probably be the best handeling of them all. 3313 is pretty heavy, but im sure ir will be great with the 17 inch wheel package. Now for the engine, I just dont think its does in. 220hp 192 tq compared to the others is just plane lame. My suggestion is that mazda hasent retooled the N.A facility yet, why dont they do some revisions and up the hp. Its severly outclassed in a world that mazda wants to creat a more "zoom zoom" image. its sad really, the best looking car in along time comes out and it dosent have the thrust to back up its sporty looks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Ok guys lets get your opnions on the new cars out for 2003'

I've heard great things about the 3.5 Altima, and I think it was edmunds that always ranks that engine as one of the 10 great engines right now, as well as one of the best v6s ever made. Probably is. But the sad fact is, the Altima is an ugly car, has a very cheap interior, and those taillights are bizarre. The 6 looks classier, and will probably handle better. You can always mod your engine anyway, put on a bigger exhaust, and bring that 220 up to 280 in no time. Any car that comes with 4 wheel disc standard for under 25k can't be bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I too think the Altima looks ugly, especially those taillights, and I'm sure it doesn't handle that well because of it's size.
The Accord looks boring (as usual) and again, handling will be average @ best.
The Mazda6 is the best looking of them, but I don't think I'll buy the sedan as soon is it comes out. I'm hoping for the Hatchback for USA, and I wouldn't mind if Mazda pumped up the power, especially the torque. Look @ a good performing muscle car like the Ford Mustang GT - not alot of power, 260HP, but around 300LB/ft of Torque. That's what makes for a fun ride!
I'm hoping for a Mazdaspeed6 - 250hp minimum & all-wheel-drive would be excellent.
I just can't get too excited about a 3300lb car with only 220hp and even less torque, even if it is a great-looking car.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hmmm..lets see...Honda's Accord looks predictable...the coupe looks way to similiar to the Acura CL...and the Sedan looks like a hybrid of the Ultima/Saturn/Civic...guess there is only one shape that gets you more usable trunk space (thank god for the Mazda 6 hatch eh). Granted, the Accords interior is nice, conservative and funtional...all typical honda traits, but I still wonder why anyone would take an accord coupe over a 6-speed CL type-S?

Nissan...I test drove the Ultima v-6, and if I had to buy a car today, it would probably be the Ultima. I've also heard good things about the 4 banger in both the ultima and sentra...but i just can't get too excited about front wheel drive ...or Nissan...the interior of the Sentra is better quality than the Ultima...but the Ultima feels like a limo compared to my 92' Miata...sooo much space...witha massive trunk...plus dealers are willing to deal with the abundance of them on their lots and all the good press its getting.

Subaru...the WRX will always hold a special place in my heart...basically its a poor mans dream car...and there is nothing wrong with that. I got to drive a students WRX wagon at an autox school and was impressed even with the stock rock hard tires...gotta luv awd eh.

Mini...this one realy tears me up. I luv the styling, build quality inside and out, BMW bloodline, handling, and totally get the small car concept...and could easily own one (since its two feet shorter then a Miata, it would give me more garage space for motorcycles :). I guess some day I will have to buy one...once the hype is over, and a couple years of production has transpired...I'll grab a cooper S with all the trimming...and live with FWD

The only thing is if the lady and I are planning on starting a family in the next few years, we should really get something with more space (for runs to Costco for diapers and sh*t)..and for the same $ as a fully optioned Mini...the Mazda 6 presents the best fast/fun/family value. If the 4 banger has 178hp...it should be plenty for sitting in traffic and picking up groceries. I'll keep the Miata and convert her towards track duty for the occassional fix. I don't think Mazda needs to get in a hp/tq war with the likes of Nissan and Honda. The Miata is still the greatest sports car ever built in my years (got the guiness book record already) and my little 1.6L still satisfies. "If you can't drive 90hp fast, 900 ain't gonna help" (Bob Hall). I think all Mazda needs to do is maintain high quality standards, keep pursuing the sporty driver oriented (bmw) image...and let word of mouth do the rest. The MP3's and P5s are selling well...I never see many of them on the lots at the dealers...and with Mazdaspeed picking up the performance end...hopefully waving their wand across the Mazda 6...it will give us factory installed and financed pleasure.

Those are pretty much the top cars on my current wish list. I did also test drive the RSX...but like most hondas it....perfectly boring.

Toyota...has never really made anything I like...

I wish one Japanese auto maker would have the balls to sell RWD vehicles across their entire line (thats my main attraction to BMW's...hopefully the new 1-2series come soon)...

·
Registered
87 Posts

I know a Mazdaspeed version will be AWD, and that worries me. There will be better grip, for better off the line performance, but to make a car AWD means added weight, and this isn't that light of a car. I think v6 version, modded is the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Well, I've been kinda a silent watcher around here (although I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.... And while I'm probably in no position whatsoever to make any judgements about any of these cars (call me a novice if you will) I just wanted to point out that although the new Accords don't even touch the styling of the 6, people are going to get them. And yes, they will get the Accord coupe since from what I've heard, Honda/Acura is planning on ditching the Cl Type S anyway. Although you have to wonder - if they're actually playing the horsepower/torque game with Nissan and their Altima, what do you think they have in store for their TL in the future? Power wise, the new Accord is getting mighty close to that of the existing TL/CL Type S...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Okay, here are the contenders (in alphabetical order by manufacturer):
1. Honda Accord
2. Mazda 6
3. Nissan Altima
4. Toyota Camry
5. VW Passat

How you rank these cars depends on what criteria you use to rank them. All of the following ratings are my own personal views and totally biased. I make no bones about objectivity; I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Stop light racing:
1. Altima V-6 manual
2. Mazda 6 V-6 manual
3. Accord V-6 auto(no manual avail.) (preliminary based on specs)
4. Toyota Camry V-6 (no manaul avail.)
5. VW Passat V-6

Run through the twisties:
1. Mazda 6 (based on spec and available reviews)
2. NissanAltima
3. Honda Accord (based on spec)
4. VW Passat
5. Toyota Camry

Interior (comfort, quality, features)
1. VW Passat
2. Honda Accord (based on spec)
2. Toyota Camry
4. Mazda 6 (based on spec)
5. Nissan Altima

Curb Appeal (exterior design)
1. Mazda 6
2. Nissan Altima
3. VW Passat
4. Toyota Camry
5. Honda Accord

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Kenoka,

You have not seen the Mazda6 in real life have you? I'm quite confident you would upgrade its interior quite a bit if you had. It has a quality feel unmatched by the competitors... or at least that's my two cents.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Steve, that's why I put the based on spec part. The spec stands for both specification and speculation in this case. :) I'm glad to hear that the quality of the materials in the 6 are very good. Since you have been in the 6 (lucky b4stard); how would you rate the categories I gave? On the interior, would you rate it better than the Camcord? The Passat? The Audi A4? How about the BMW 330i? Top Gear was very negative regarding the center console, although they pretty much raved about everything else. Myself I like the titanium look, but maybe it's going to be overdone within a couple of years. The metallic certainly looks worlds better than the fake wood trim available for the JDM Atenza. Do you have that option in Sweden?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Steve, that's why I put the based on spec part.  The spec stands for both specification and speculation in this case. :)  I'm glad to hear that the quality of the materials in the 6 are very good.  Since you have been in the 6 (lucky b4stard); how would you rate the categories I gave?  On the interior, would you rate it better than the Camcord?  The Passat?  The Audi A4?  How about the BMW 330i?  Top Gear was very negative regarding the center console, although they pretty much raved about everything else.  Myself I like the titanium look, but maybe it's going to be overdone within a couple of years.  The metallic certainly looks worlds better than the fake wood trim available for the JDM Atenza.  Do you have that option in Sweden?  [/b]
It's better than those other cars in many aspects and equal in a few. The center console is very nice, but it was a bit disappointing that it wasn't real brushed metal. Anyway, it feels like the surface of the plastic is hard like rock. Probably one of those new space age polymers...

We have that fake wood option too. I have never liked wood panels in a car. Well, I can live with it in a T-Ford, but in anything newer...no, thanks.

Quite frankly, the 6 is the nicest car I have ever driven, and I've driven quite a few. A friend of mine got this BMW M3. A nice enough car that pulls a 0-62 in just 5.5 secs. And it has great handling to. Anyway: the 6 was more fun. Can't explain it, but it is probably a result of the immense focus Mazda's people have put in every single detail - no matter how tiny or seemingly unimportant.

I thought the zoom-zoom campaign was ridiculous. Until i tried the 6 out. Now I understand it fully.

When I say I can't wait until my own 6 arrives, I mean it. It hurts to the bare bone!!

/Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts

Damn all of u dumb asses look at the specs closely on the accord and mazda 6

Horses:

Mazda 6:[email protected] The higher the displayed RPM the better the engine cuz u could step on it more!!!!!
Accord (2003): [email protected]

Torque:

Mazda 6:[email protected] 4,750
Accord (2003): 212 @ 5000 If u r a car person u should have known there isnt that much of a difference b/t these two cars; plus i-vtec engines are the cheap ones used in C-RV if u didnt know...

The curb weight posted on which ever car specs page arent final. unless people from Europe could tell us how much they weight in conversion of their measurements...

Wait till the cars are out to judge since the test drive on the 6 is considered more fun to drive. :):zzz

The Accord 2003 seems so fragile

On the contrary, the 6 isnt good enough to beat the altima in horses wise; but its all bout the look u know...

Besides... Mazda is smart; they are getting the 6 sedan out for now and saving the mayb all wheel drive option on the sports version later next year with the hatch.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Accord 2003

Coupe
LX EX LX V-6 EX V-6

2994/3060 3047/3104 NA/3250 3265/3294

Sedan
DX LX EX LX V-6 EX V-6

2989/3049 3053/3113 3109/3166 NA/3309 NA/3360

Something bout Accord 2003 is that it uses a soHC engine lol

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Um, excuse me but who exactly are you calling dumb ass? In future my friend, I suggest if you're going to join a board you check your attitude until you're known because right now you're coming off like an ignorant punk. But hey I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this once and assume you're not just out trolling.
So let's take your "points" one by one:
Mazda 6:[email protected] The higher the displayed RPM the better the engine cuz u could step on it more!!!!! Accord (2003): [email protected][/b]
This doesn't really make much sense. So 220 hp at 6300 RPM is better than 240 hp at 6250 RPM is that your logic? Okay so then 150 RPM at 8000 RPM must be still better yet, right? Or even better how about a motorcycle engine of say 94 hp at 12000 RPM. Because then you could reeeeally step on it for a loooong time waiting for it to accelerate. :sarc
Torque:
Mazda 6:[email protected] 4,750  
Accord (2003): 212 @ 5000 If u r a car person u should have known there isnt that much of a difference b/t these two cars; plus i-vtec engines are the cheap ones used in C-RV if u didnt know...[/b]
Okay I get it, the numbers don't look the way you want so you make unsubstantiated attacks.
The curb weight posted on which ever car specs page arent final. unless people from Europe could tell us how much they weight in conversion of their measurements...[/b]
Just FYI there are numerous sites on the internet where you can do metric conversions.
On the contrary, the 6 isnt good enough to beat the altima in horses wise; but its all bout the look u know...[/b]
Oh, we can't win an objective measurement, so let's jump to a subjective one. Good, good.

Don't get me wrong here. If I didn't like the Mazda 6 I wouldn't be frequenting this board. On the other hand I'm not going to lose my objectivity over it either. The simple fact is that Honda has trumped Mazda badly. Is the Honda ugly? IMHO it absolutely is. It's a very ungainly design and whoever was in charge of it deserves to be demoted to hub cap designer. But that doesn't change the fact that Honda's engine has the same displacement, and yet gets 10% better horsepower, 10% better torque, an 10% better fuel economy at the same time. This is a monumental engineering achievement and deserves to be applauded. Be honest: if Mazda could give you 10% better power and fuel economy would you take it? Of course you would. Unless you're a dumb ass. Does the power and fuel economy make or break the car? Again that's subjective. For the majority of the mid-size sedan market it may be one of the prime factors. For the enthusiast perhaps not so much; and yet it's still important.

·
Registered
38 Posts

If u wanna talk about accords and honda's or any other jap car's manufactures; go to their message boards

i hate people going for both

if u dont like mazdas then kick ur butt to where u wouldnt be called a dumb ass here while u r dising mazdas in a mazda board

Overall To everyone out there... its not about the Horses or torque; its all bout the skills if u know what i mean

·
Registered
87 Posts

Kenoka, you have by far the most posts on this board and you like the accord more than the 6? I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by MAZDAMAN

Kenoka, you have by far the most posts on this board and you like the accord more than the 6?  I don't get it.[/b]
Okay, english might not be my primary language, but that's not what I think he said.

I think he is only trying to put things in perspective...:)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Mazdaman- to be 100% clear here is my opinion of the 2003 Honda Accord: This is a bloated pig of a car, and I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me for free (okay I would but I would turn right around and sell it! ;) )
However in my original post on this thread I was trying to give some perspective on the car comparison and was basically trying to say that no car is all things to all people. I LOVE the 6. I think it will be the best thing to happen to the mid-size market in my lifetime.
This MazdaS6 kid just irritated me is all. Look, here he goes again:
If u wanna talk about accords and honda's or any other jap car's manufactures; go to their message boards  
i hate people going for both  
if u dont like mazdas then kick ur butt to where u wouldnt be called a dumb ass here while u r dising mazdas in a mazda board
Overall To everyone out there... its not about the Horses or torque; its all bout the skills if u know what i mean[/b]
Apparently we're being told what we can and cannot discuss on this board. Up to now we've all been having a reasoned and intelligent discussion. Now this kid who apparently has just turned 15 (happy birthday by the way) jumps on here making half-assed flame-bait comments. Maybe you're all better at ignoring that sort of thing. Usually I'm better but I guess he caught me off guard.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I was trying to give some perspective on the car comparison and was basically trying to say that no car is all things to all people.  I LOVE the 6.  I think it will be the best thing to happen to the mid-size market in my lifetime.[/b]
That's what I figured...

Apparently we're being told what we can and cannot discuss on this board.  Up to now we've all been having a reasoned and intelligent discussion.  Now this kid who apparently has just turned 15 (happy birthday by the way) jumps on here making half-assed flame-bait comments.  Maybe you're all better at ignoring that sort of thing.  Usually I'm better but I guess he caught me off guard.    [/b]
You're right. We'll have to try to avoid doing what we would like and saying what we would like to this kind of (##/¤/&#(#)")!!

I think he jumped on you because you're the one who have most post in this board, and that makes you an interesting target for someone who likes to jump on the entire board...

Never mind the bull...

Let's get back to real discussions and leave this MazdaS6 or whatever he is calling himself alone. 15 years, I bet it's all a hormonal thing...

Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Thanks for the boost Steve. I knew it probably wouldn't even be productive responding to him, but like I said I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is of course fully entitled to his opinion and I have no problems with that. I just don't want this forum to degenerate to the name calling and idiocy that a lot of boards have.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Thanks for the boost Steve.  I knew it probably wouldn't even be productive responding to him, but like I said I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He is of course fully entitled to his opinion and I have no problems with that.  I just don't want this forum to degenerate to the name calling and idiocy that a lot of boards have.  [/b]
I don't really think there's much risk for that. This guy is also welcome if he can leave the worst kind of behaviour back home with his mommy.

:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts