Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to be installing my oil temp. gauge and I have been having so trouble finding a how-to or any information on it. I found a how-to on pressure gauge on mazda6tech, but I couldn't find anything with oil temp. I told the shop if it's going to cost a lot for labour to just scratch the wiring, and just wire the power to it. He wants to know if you have to drill into the oil pan, or any other way that you can get the sensor in there? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can essentially place the temp gauge where you would place the pressue gauge. Its all the same. Ideally the best way though would be to grab it from the Pan.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have an Autometer Sport Comp Mechanical Oil Temp gauge. I have been meaning to install it soon as soon as I get everything ready. For the mechanical gauge I will have to drill a hole in my firewall to fit the probe, which isn't a big deal, since they give you all the gromets and everything to ensure it gets done properly. I also bought a new oil pan and am in the process of having a machine shop drill a hole in it to accept the gauge.

I know the mechanical guages are more trouble to install but I love the fact that they are more accurate and work 100% of the time needing no power.

Installing an electrical gauge will be the same amount of work except that you won't have to drill a hole in the firewall you can just use the gromet where the main harness enters the chassis. I would have used this too except the capillary isn't long enough.

My mechanical water temp gauge is long enough to fit through there so I'll be using that for the install. For that I'm just waiting on the stupid hose adapter that doesn't seem to exsist in Canada at the moment.

If you manage to get everything installed before I do can you post up how you did you installation.

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
For my oil temp and oil pressure gauges I put a short nipple, and two brass tee's(or some setup like that been too long since Ive looked at it) where the stock oil pressure sensor is. It wasnt fun to do at all as there isnt much room to work there. Hell I couldnt even find(see) the stock sensor, I literally had to feel around for it. As for doing it again, ask Jay (Dragons6) how long he has been hounding me to do his. Its a suck job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been meaning to install and mount my VDO White cokpit series oil pressure gauge. I'm not going the lotek gauge pos route. I am installing / mounting a single gauge in a cup. I like the look. Just haven't figured out where is best to mount the cup. Any ideas?
newbombturk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts