Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I finally got around to installing my guage pod and guages this week since I'm on spring break. It looks awesome and the Autometer Sport Comp guages look like they belong in this car, almost like factory issue, which is a very good thing. I have everything hooked up except for the signal wires for my air fuel and oil temp guages......

I am assuming that the wire the CPE Mafci system intercepts and alters is the air fuel wire, but i'm not positive. As for the oil temp wire, I was told that our car has an oil temp sensor allready but I have no clue which wire going to the ECU it is. If possible I'd like to tap these wires under the dash by the ECU harness and not have to go through the firewall into the engine bay.

Can anyone tell me which wires i need to get at??? I know someone else must have done this allready...

Thanks,
Justin W. Bone

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
For oil temp, your gauge should have come with a temperature sender made specifically for your gauge. I'm 99% sure that there is no ECU wire you can tap that would get the right signal to your gauge. You will have to tap your oil system just like for an oil pressure gauge. This is nontrivial.

The MAF signal is absolutely NOT the wire for an AF gauge. Your AF gauge reads in the 0-1V voltage signal from one of your O2 sensors. I have no idea which ECU wire carries the appropriate signal (also different between I4 and V6, which are you?). On my I4 (and on the V6 I believe), there are 4-wire O2 sensors. The V6 has many O2 sensors, but the choice is easier on the I4. These will have one gray, one black, and two white wires. The voltage signal is the black wire. I tapped into the gray wire by mistake and have to change that. I simply tapped it under the car and ran the lead through the firewall and up to the gaugepod. This is trivial compared to the oil temp sender install.

I think you assumed the hardest part of gauge installation to be the easiest. My car was inoperational for 3 WEEKS during my gauge install due to complexities and mistakes I didn't anticipate. And it's still not done (ie, that stupid wire-tap). Worst-case scenario though, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great........................ ;)

Well the O2 sensor was my other assumption so that really isn't much of a surprise.... I can deal with that.

The oil temp on the other hand does come as a bit of a shock, I seem to recall being told on 6tech that our cars had an oil temp sensor built in allready :-/ . I really don't want to have to drop the pan and weld the fitting and temperature guage in, is there an easier way??? Like some sort of T- fitting I can use to screw the temp sensor in???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Nooo... don't drop the pan... haha. T-fitting off of the oil-pressure port works fine. It's annoying, but definitely the easiest way to go. I'm guessing from your username that you've got the I4, and my experience says the easiest thing is to use a hose to put the T somewhere else. I tried three different designs just using pipe fittings and absolutely nothing fit right. A nice 45degree 1/4NPT-4AN nipple will do the job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to hear. You wouldn't have any pics of your installation by chance? I was looking at your website and the car looks awesome, but I'd like some more pics with the guage pod installed and the defi guages.

Yes, I have the I4 with the mtx, just like your car. I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying but pics would help if you have any.

Thanks again,
Justin W. Bone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
SteelGray6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing