Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, where is it possible to tap into the oil lines? i don't want to tap into the oil pan, is there anywhere else that i can tap? thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
If you are going to be feeding a turbo, it should be coming directly off the oil pan. I wouldn't trust some "splicing job" to ensure that oil flow through a turbo was sufficent. Turbo's are very expensive. Don't half ass it.

If you are confused and need advice, you might need to take it to a shop.
[/b]
Buy a Noble track day pan, FTW.

It's baffled and supposedly "cured" the problem of the 2.5L Duratec's oil starvation (Which was not a pan-related issue, but rather in the poor quality and lack thereof, of oil drainbacks in the cylinder heads. If this oil pan can "fix" that and feed two nicely sized turbos on a Noble, as well as a Mocal oil cooler and Accusump system, then this is MORE than enough for your project, whatever it may be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks everyone. i guess i'll just tap iinto the pan, but if neone else could just give suggestions on another way that where the oil would be gravity fed down, and doesnt have to be from the oil pan, that would be kool too. if i were to splice, it would be done very well, and gravity would push the oil to the turbo either way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'll need to know too. In my case it's for a pressure gauge.
[/b]

Best place unfortunately is behind the A/C compressor. Undo the sepentine belt and unbolt the compressor.

Use copper piping until you get to the firewall and use a compression fitting to join to the plastic tubing that should come with your pressure gauge. Run the plastic tube in or out of the firewall which ever is easiest. Copper is used around the exhaust manifolds. YOU DON'T want to use plastic there.

The galley in the heads is not a good place. If you don't want to do that then get a filter relocation kit FRP and use one of the boss's. I have an oil temp probe in mine.

so does anyone know where else to tap but the pan?
[/b]
I would suggest having a fitting welded to the front of your oil pan. Another choice is the block.

3/4" hole drilled to accomodate 1/2 NPT (ID) fitting

-10AN return line installed

I'd suggest coming over to CEG.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/postlist...at=&Board=turbo

We have the most knowledgable Duratec turbo guys around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Best place unfortunately is behind the A/C compressor. Undo the sepentine belt and unbolt the compressor.

Use copper piping until you get to the firewall and use a compression fitting to join to the plastic tubing that should come with your pressure gauge. Run the plastic tube in or out of the firewall which ever is easiest. Copper is used around the exhaust manifolds. YOU DON'T want to use plastic there.
[/b]
Thanks for that help ...and with pics too!

How much of that still applies if my gauge uses a sender? Tap the same place and keep the wires clear of, and insulated from, the manifolds?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for that help ...and with pics too!

How much of that still applies if my gauge uses a sender? Tap the same place and keep the wires clear of, and insulated from, the manifolds?
[/b]

Yeeesh! You have an electrical gauge I take it. Send it back and get a real one. LOL! The guys that run those use one of the plugs in the rear head. If you stand at the drivers side and look down at the side of the head you should be able to see it. You'll need a hex/allen wrench to remove. You'll also need to adapt the fitting you have so it screws into the head. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will have the same thread pitch. Unlikely though. A mechanical gauge is the only way to accurately know pressure. Head pressure is not as accurate at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeeesh! [...] Head pressure is not as accurate at all.
[/b]
Ugh! now ya tell me? ...I guess I didn't read enough, I stopped at some page that suggested that it's nice and safe not to have hot oil going into the cabin. It seemed to make sense. Rats, I'm not gonna like inaccuracy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Anthem
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing