Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over this forum and nothing completely describes my problem so I'm going to post myself.

I changed my oil myself this past Labor Day and switched to Mobil 5W-20 and a K&N 2010 Filter. I just started noticing yesterday an oil smell when I slow down from the interestate when I hit traffic. I also have a strong oil smell outside of my car when I park after driving any distance.

There is a small amount of smoke coming from the front of the hood near the grill and when I open the hood the smoke seems to be coming either directly from the engine or somewhere down near the oil filter.

I plan on looking under the car when I get home from work today to see if there is a leak or if oil is just burning off from oil that dripped onto parts during me changing the oil.

If anyone knows what my problem could be, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have searched all over this forum and nothing completely describes my problem so I'm going to post myself.

I changed my oil myself this past Labor Day and switched to Mobil 5W-20 and a K&N 2010 Filter. I just started noticing yesterday an oil smell when I slow down from the interestate when I hit traffic. I also have a strong oil smell outside of my car when I park after driving any distance.

There is a small amount of smoke coming from the front of the hood near the grill and when I open the hood the smoke seems to be coming either directly from the engine or somewhere down near the oil filter.

I plan on looking under the car when I get home from work today to see if there is a leak or if oil is just burning off from oil that dripped onto parts during me changing the oil.

If anyone knows what my problem could be, please let me know. Thanks.
[/b]
here is a quote from the mazda6tech.com 's "how to change your oil in the 6s"
"After removing the filter, take the time to wipe up all the areas where oil was spilled. If you don't do this, you will smell oil. If you do do this, you will smell oil. However you'll smell oil for less time. Supposedly there is some magically system of being able to use some pieces of alumnium foil to keep the oil off the manifold, but I think thats mostly been made up by farm elves."
here is the link:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...60&Itemid=1

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Yea, you probably spilled some oil on the exhaust part below your oil filter. It's gonna smell like smoke for several days.

I actually kinda like the smell! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a quote from the mazda6tech.com 's "how to change your oil in the 6s"
"After removing the filter, take the time to wipe up all the areas where oil was spilled. If you don't do this, you will smell oil. If you do do this, you will smell oil. However you'll smell oil for less time. Supposedly there is some magically system of being able to use some pieces of alumnium foil to keep the oil off the manifold, but I think thats mostly been made up by farm elves."
here is the link:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...60&Itemid=1
[/b]
I followed this how-to to change my oil so I am familiar with their comments. But I'm just wondering is it possible that I did not either tighten the oil filter enough, or could I have overtightened the filter causing a leak from the gasket on the filter?

Yea, you probably spilled some oil on the exhaust part below your oil filter. It's gonna smell like smoke for several days.

I actually kinda like the smell! :D
[/b]
I changed the oil this past Monday, I just drove about 70 miles on the interstate and the oil is just as strong as before and still smoking from under the hood. Should I still just be patient, I just worry that I screwed something up even though I know everything I did was correct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it is soooo easy to get oil on the exhaust manifold when changing the filter. i don't see how anyone avoids it. the smeel will go away.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
check the dipstick and see if you still have oil.

check your garage floor to see if there's oil leaking.

if both are OK, then you don't really have anything to worry about. wait for another week and see if the smell is still there.

FYI, I changed my oil last weekend and I still smell burnt oil smell this morning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check the dipstick and see if you still have oil.

check your garage floor to see if there's oil leaking.

if both are OK, then you don't really have anything to worry about. wait for another week and see if the smell is still there.

FYI, I changed my oil last weekend and I still smell burnt oil smell this morning.
[/b]
OK I'll keep an eye on everything to make sure oil isn't missing, it isn't completely full but some of the oil did spill out when I tried to put the oil filter on when I changed my oil.

Also, I was reading at mazda6tech.com about a fumoto drain plug replacement valve...has anyone switched to these and what are your opinions of the product?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I'll keep an eye on everything to make sure oil isn't missing, it isn't completely full but some of the oil did spill out when I tried to put the oil filter on when I changed my oil.

Also, I was reading at mazda6tech.com about a fumoto drain plug replacement valve...has anyone switched to these and what are your opinions of the product?
[/b]
So I put the car up on the ramps today and saw where the oil was dripping down the filter and then landing on the exhaust manifold underneat the filter.

Should I loosen or tighten the oil filter? I've read where the filter may be too tight and strip the threads on the filter but I only hand-tightened so I doubt that was the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
is it leaking right now or was it oil from the oil change?

No need to use a tool. Just hand tightened the filter sufficiently. As long as it's tight, no oil is supposed to escape.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it leaking right now or was it oil from the oil change?

No need to use a tool. Just hand tightened the filter sufficiently. As long as it's tight, no oil is supposed to escape.
[/b]
As far as I can tell, it is leaking now because cleaned everything off before I drove around a little bit...came back and some oil was on the manifold that obviously dripped from the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
how much oil is dripping? if it's only a drop or two, I don't think you should worry about it. Maybe you over lubed the rubber seal on the oil filter before putting it on and it's still dripping. If it's dripping a lot, you can always remove the oil filter, check to see if the seal is damaged and put it back on (hand tightened). However if you remove the oil filter, expect to lose about 0.5 quart of oil.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, just keep an eye on it. The filter does not require a lot of force to be sufficiently tight. Once the gasket makes contact with the engine, you should only turn the filter an extra 3/4 turn. One full turn at most.

If you're still leaking, the gasket might be faulty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much oil is dripping? if it's only a drop or two, I don't think you should worry about it. Maybe you over lubed the rubber seal on the oil filter before putting it on and it's still dripping. If it's dripping a lot, you can always remove the oil filter, check to see if the seal is damaged and put it back on (hand tightened). However if you remove the oil filter, expect to lose about 0.5 quart of oil.
[/b]
There is not very much oil dripping. Just a few drops, but enough to cause a smell and smoke. This is the first time I've done the oil in this car and I decided to switch to a K&N Oil Filter. The nut on the end is just to loosen the filter right, you shouldn't tighten it up using a socket wrench should you?

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's still leaking? You could probably get away with giving it another 1/8th turn, but if that doesn't fix it, I gues you'll have to just live with it until the next oil change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts