Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after about 15 mins of driving I notice an oil smell in the cabin. I did add oil a few weeks ago but this smell was before that. There are no leaks that I see or spots on the ground. What could be the issue? I thought possibly an exhaust leak at the header but that is unlikely as I would smell exhaust. I am thinking maybe a vacuum tube leaking some burnt oil? Its going to drive me nuts if I cant figure out how to fix it. Anyone have some ideas?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If you have a V6, they are a bit prone to leaking from the front cover and the valve cover gaskets and it drips down on the exhaust causing the smell. I did my valve cover gaskets and that made a rather large improvement, but didn't completely cure it.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
If you have a V6, they are a bit prone to leaking from the front cover and the valve cover gaskets and it drips down on the exhaust causing the smell. I did my valve cover gaskets and that made a rather large improvement, but didn't completely cure it.
He posted it in the 2.3L section so this might not be the case. Sorry OP, I know very little about the 2.3L but hopefully someone else can help you out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That actually makes sense. I will try to check it out this weekend and pull over the plastic engine cover to see if this may be the case.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
He posted it in the 2.3L section so this might not be the case.
I'm almost always on my mobile and so I dont get to see signatures. I didnt even think to look at the forum section for that info.

Regardless, I would look at your valve cover seal. In a 4 cyl car, the leak at the valve cover can often drip down or weep down the head and land on the exhaust manifold causing that same oil burn smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
red_johnny
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing