Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read through some articles and also searched. But I want to get some info from the guys who have actually done it. How many people have changed from the 5-20 to a different weighted oil? And has there been any benefits to it? Curious as Im about to do another oil change and thought of this.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I take it everybody is running the 5w-20 and nothing else.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was thinking of running 0w-30 because I have heard some guys running it and having better protection from it. I live in the northwest so it does get cold here so running a 10 weight wouldnt be to good. Just trying to figure out what people run and how it has worked for them

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE (sixme @ Jan 21 2010, 03:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631380
Well I was thinking of running 0w-30 because I have heard some guys running it and having better protection from it. I live in the northwest so it does get cold here so running a 10 weight wouldnt be to good. Just trying to figure out what people run and how it has worked for them[/b]
yeah, i guess that makes sense...i hope some guys here that run lighter weights can chime in...
and give you some feedback or words of wisdom..LOL!! :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you check the mazda 6 workshop manual, alot of the oil weights overlap considerably so going lower will most probably do no harm in your situation.

I run 5w30 but have switched to 10w40 as the weather is now very hot over here.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've run 5W30 since about 25,000 miles. I now have over 85,000.

I would have just run the recommended weight but I still had a couple of cases of Phillips TropArctic Semi Syn that I got for $1.79 a quart. (very good UOAs at BITOG) that and it's regularly well over 100°F (38°C) here in the summer.

Just stuck with the 5W30 when I ran out of that. If it ain't broke.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
so what weight is best for hot weather climates? i live in the desert and it gets around 90. is 0w-20 good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts