Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Well I may be more confused but if anyone is interested I may be switching to GC (Castrol Synthetic 0w30 made in germany, ie only true full sythetic for castrol):[/b]
Awesome! I'm a strong supporter of GC. That's what I'm gonna use eventually after I break in the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Well it comes down to this: If you're going to spend about $5/quart, are you going to buy a true synthetic (Group IV) or a fake synthetic (Group III)?

Yes, under the law (blame the lawyers), both are considered as synthetic. But Group III is still created from oil while Group IV is created from chemicals. So for common people like us, which one is the true synthetic? :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Mobil 1 states that it is GF-4 just like Pennzoil Platinum. Am I looking at the wrong thing?[/b]
Yes, you're looking at the wrong thing. GF-4 is a standard for motor oil. Even a non-synthetic motor oil can have GF-4 standard.

Group III & IV are how the oil is made. You'll need to do more investigation to find that information to see which one is from hydrocracking (III) or PAO (IV)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.