Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is something that has been discussed, but I wanted to bring it up in light of the substantial price difference per quart between Mobil 1 and other full synthetic oils. Since Mobil 1 is now $5.29/qt even at Costco, I am considering changing over to either Pensoil Platinum full synthetic or Quaker State full synthetic. Is there really THAT much of a difference between Mobil 1 and these products? I mean, it is almost $2 a quart in my area. I was just curious on what everyone's thoughts are.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I don't know if this is something that has been discussed, but I wanted to bring it up in light of the substantial price difference per quart between Mobil 1 and other full synthetic oils. Since Mobil 1 is now $5.29/qt even at Costco, I am considering changing over to either Pensoil Platinum full synthetic or Quaker State full synthetic. Is there really THAT much of a difference between Mobil 1 and these products? I mean, it is almost $2 a quart in my area. I was just curious on what everyone's thoughts are.[/b]
If you check out the BITOG forums, the PP comes highly recommended. It's roughly the equal of the M1, which isn't as good as it used to be apprently. The QS is apparently made at the same place that the PP is, but the additive package is different. From what I could find over there, the PP is roughly equal to M1, and the QS is a just a little bit of a step down. I picked up two cases of the PP when it Advance was having that two for one sale.

Also, one other thing...have you checked your local WalMart? They have the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 much cheaper...like $23 ea around here. It's actually pretty cheap if you get it that way.

How often to you plan on changing the oil and filter?

:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also, one other thing...have you checked your local WalMart? They have the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 much cheaper...like $23 ea around here. It's actually pretty cheap if you get it that way.[/b]
Exactly what I do, get the 5 qt bottle then 1 bottle with it. So it comes close to $30.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every 5k on both my Speed 6 and my wife's CX-7. I do 21k miles a year, she does 12, so we aren't even talking about $100 a year in difference, but still, the price of the Mobil 1 just keeps going up and up. I may give the Pennzoil a shot.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How much oil does our car use? I used to get the M1 5qt jug at walmart, for the wrx, and that was enough.[/b]
6qts for the MS6. I change mine every 3K still. Temp changes are harsh on the oil, and MN has plenty of that.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what I do, get the 5 qt bottle then 1 bottle with it. So it comes close to $30.[/b]
I will have to give that a look. I don't recall that the 5QT jugs added up to that much of a savings. Actually when you think about it at my area Costco a 6 quart box is $31 and some change so going that way still is expensive when you consider that you can get the Pennzoil product for just a little over $20 for all 6 quarts. I want to do the best for my car but if there is an equal product out there, why not do it cheaper?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I will have to give that a look. I don't recall that the 5QT jugs added up to that much of a savings. Actually when you think about it at my area Costco a 6 quart box is $31 and some change so going that way still is expensive when you consider that you can get the Pennzoil product for just a little over $20 for all 6 quarts. I want to do the best for my car but if there is an equal product out there, why not do it cheaper?[/b]
Yup, I'd agree. Anyone have any good links on reviews about the Pennzoil product?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've been buying PP when I see big sales on em. I got my first 6 qts for about $18 and my 2nd 6 was only $12! I missed a deal at Checker a month ago for $9.[/b]
Nice....next time you see a deal, let me know where and I'll have to pick some up.

Do you think it is ok to switch from one synthetic to another? I know you should go from non syn to syn and back and forth....but should going from one syn to another syn be ok?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice....next time you see a deal, let me know where and I'll have to pick some up.

Do you think it is ok to switch from one synthetic to another? I know you should go from non syn to syn and back and forth....but should going from one syn to another syn be ok?[/b]
Wouldn't see why it would be a problem. I was looking at the BITOG forums and from what I can see they consider the Pennzoil Platinum Product to be basically an equal to Mobil 1. I think Mobil 1 is a great product but flat out over priced.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Amsoil, Royal purple, redline, and mobil 1 are the oils I would use. Had good luck with all of them. I believe pennzoil uses ash to thinke their oil up, or at least they used too. Dang now I have to check howthingswork.com and lookup oil again.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amsoil, Royal purple, redline, and mobil 1 are the oils I would use. Had good luck with all of them. I believe pennzoil uses ash to thinke their oil up, or at least they used too. Dang now I have to check howthingswork.com and lookup oil again.[/b]
I don't beleive they do on the Platinum full synthetic oil which is what I would use.

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Well I use castrol full synthetic just cause i used to use castrol GTX. Not sure if there is better but I will as over at BITOG forums.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yah, the manual states 5w 30 should be used so that is what I stick with.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yah, the manual states 5w 30 should be used so that is what I stick with.[/b]

this is probably a really dumb question but please help... my dealer puts in a semi-synthetic? ithink? do dealers carry full synthetics like m1 or PP. also, will changing to m1 or pp be noticable?

thanks.

mike

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is probably a really dumb question but please help... my dealer puts in a semi-synthetic? ithink? do dealers carry full synthetics like m1 or PP. also, will changing to m1 or pp be noticable?
thanks.

mike[/b]
Dealers might carry it and be willing to put it in but they are going to charge you up the wazoo for it. That being said I have actually heard folks post that using full synth in this engine is bad for it, which is just silly if you ask me seening as synthetic is better for higher heat applications and is cleaner than conventional oils. My dealer has never said this, but I know there are some here and on the CX-7 board that have been told that. I bring my own oil and have my dealer use it. In terms of difference it isn't a difference you can feel but more something that adds up to better mileage and is better for the longevity of your engine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.