Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT Soul Red
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had my local shop change the oil, due to convenience, and price with coupon. During this COVID thing, I am doing my own work. What size socket or torx is needed on my 4 cyl Mazda 6 Touring? Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have always had my local shop change the oil, due to convenience, and price with coupon. During this COVID thing, I am doing my own work. What size socket or torx is needed on my 4 cyl Mazda 6 Touring? Thanks
8mm Allen bit. I bought one that is 3/8" drive, and I use my torque wrench in retightening it. Spec is 23-30 ft-lbs. I use a new aluminum crush-gasket each and every time. I never suffer leakage, and I do not threaten to strip the rather small 8mm Allen pattern. I actually use 25 ft. lbs. and I made sure that my bit is an intimate fit with the oil drain plug... i.e. not a loose or sloppy fit.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT Soul Red
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8mm Allen bit. I bought one that is 3/8" drive, and I use my torque wrench in retightening it. Spec is 23-30 ft-lbs. I use a new aluminum crush-gasket each and every time. I never suffer leakage, and I do not threaten to strip the rather small 8mm Allen pattern. I actually use 25 ft. lbs. and I made sure that my bit is an intimate fit with the oil drain plug... i.e. not a loose or sloppy fit.
Thank you. I did see on YouTube that folks were replacing gasket as you spoke of. Interesting. Have never had a car where I had to do that. But I understand, so I will plan on it.

·
Super Moderator
17,212 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Couple tips for a first time DIY oil change (sorry if any of these seem obvious, just covering all the bases) :

• Let the engine warm up a bit, but don't do it while it's hot - this is how you get burned.
  • Get your front end off the ground at a decent angle.
  • There's a plastic cover on your 6 that's held in by 2 phillips screws and a plastic clip you can get off with a flathead.
  • Like Cdn said, the Allen bit will cover you but might be hard to get enough torque on it - you can always use a closed-end wrench hooked onto the allen to increase available torque.
  • After draining and pan and putting the bolt back in (with a new gasket if you have one), loosen the filter slightly.
  • Place a ziplock around the entire filter and make sure it stays around it while loosening the filter the rest of the way.
  • The ziplock should catch 99% of the oil as the filter comes off, but make sure you don't let it drop out of your hand - this makes your oil change almost mess-free.
  • Don't forget to put a little oil on the new filter's rubber seal before putting it back on, and don't tighten the new filter more than you can with your hands.
  • I have a 2014 4 cyl and always fill it with 5 Qts of 0w20.
I also suggest looking into a Fumoto drain valve if you're going to be doing this in the future as well. Saves the hassle of removing the pan bolt every time and makes for a super easy change. here's a thread about it: Fumoto Valve F106SW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts