Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for the 60k mile today. It's an '03 V6. They said my oil pan gasket is pretty much dead. I usually do my own changes, didn't take close notice of it last time I changed the oil but I'm going to take a close look when I get it home. The guys have traditionally been pretty good to me which is why I just go ahead and pay them to do their thing instead of doing it myself.

Anyhow, they quoted ~$325 to swap the pan gasket. Seems a little steep if the pan looks anything like I remember. Assuming it is bad, has anybody tried to do this themselves before? Is it a huge P.I.T.A.?

I read something in a few other threads about silicone sealant, etc. I would have figured that the gasket is just a solid gasket that you torque down on and call it a day...I guess that's not the case?

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The oil pan gasket is attached to the oil pan. I bought a new pan for $120 CDN. So that should give you an estimate for how much it should be in the US.

This is an 04 and up pan, it holds more oil than the 03 one and thus I'm told has a better baffle. So why not upgrade anyway. Ohh if you do upgrade to this pan, I'm told you also have to change the dipstick as well, I think the dipstick tube is the same, but I'm not 100%.

If anyone is wondering why I have an oil pan, it's for the soon to be turbo project once Atom44watt gets his kit finished. Also I'm planning to install an oil temp gauge at the same time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's an 04+ pan, is the flange for sure the exact same shape?

That's weird that the gasket comes attached to the lower pan, I would have thought that my service writer would have mentioned that. They way they talked, the part was like $50.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you buy a new pan, the gasket comes with. You can buy the gasket seperately, it is $46.93. A new pan and gasket is $161.55. Find out if they were charging you for a new pan and gasket, or just for the gasket. Also, keep in mind they're probably adding in whatever the charge for an oil change is.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given those quotes, I am sure that he was quoting the gasket only. They said the part was like $50. If you figure another $25 for an oil change that comes out to like $250 for labor on the gasket. Which brings me back to my original point - that sounds like a lot for just swapping an oil pan gasket.

Is this job as simple as unbolting the pan, pulling the old gasket, putting in the new one, and rebolting? Or is it a lot more complicated?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well... That pan is over the front end of the car so it probably isnt the easist thing to get to. And you might not be able to actually pull the pan at all with out major work. Someone who has screwed with it will have to answer that. But that aside simply putting a gasket on isnt all that hard, you just have to make sure you get the pan and the lower block clean that is the key.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You do need the RTV sealant to reinstall the oil pan. I've never looked at the 6's close enough to see how hard it would be to do on the car, but as long as you have access to all sides of it and room to drop it out, I don't see why it should be too hard of a job.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does the book call for RTV? It appears this type of pan/gasket combo provides a compresson fit, and would not need RTV, however adding a thin coat probably wouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem. Took the car in yesterday for an oil change and they quoted me $470 (30 for oil change, 40 for pressure check to see why i was getting white smoke) at a $110/hr labor rate. They said the reason it was so expensive was because they had to remove the front crossmember replace the gasket. I'm going today to lift it up at the hobby shop on base and see what's up under there but as there are no haynes manuals for our car and i don't have a workshop manual any info on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
$110 an hour labour, wow. I should be a mechanic in the US. All local dealerships here have $90 CAN per hour rates.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this is an old discussion however I apparently somehow damamged my 07 oil pan on the weekend I woke up on Saturday to see oil everywhere I had it towed ot Ontario Mazda. They are telling me its going to be $600 to replace the oil pan and gasket, I took some photos of under my car and it looked more like it was coming from the oil filter. Does this price seem steep to anyone else and should I question them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced the gasket on my 03 V6. Did not have to remove the cross member, but you do have to remove the section of the exhaust that blocks the oil pan. Liquid wrench, a half inch breaker bar with 16 inch hollow pipe for extension was required to break the rusty exhaust nuts loose. I was able to do this work in in my garage with the car on the higher side of 6 ton jack stands, but it took a few hours. The 03 uses an independent gasket, it is not preformed into the oil pan like the 04 and up. While changing this gasket, go ahead and change the serpentine belt. You will have better access to put the new one on with the oil pan, the exhaust, and a shield on that side of the engine off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts