Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I was reading through threads on oil leaks causing smoking in a 2003 3.0 . One of them had mention of mounting a license plate or metal above the catalytic converters to keep oil from the front face from dripping onto and burning off of the exhaust.

I've since done both valve cover gaskets and the cam seal(fixed the driver side leak). I have neither the time or money to do the timing chain cover seal and I'm thinking that might be my last option. So if you have a link or pictures I'd love to figure out how to get something mounted to deflect the oil from the exhaust. I have no noticeable drips but she produces plenty of smoke. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It was a member many years back who did the license plate drip deflector, but I believe @DrFeelGood has a saved photo of the plate. Regardless, the issue is the timing cover drips oil down to the catalytic converter from the front bank which causes the oil smoke which gets picked up by the cabin hvac fan. The license plate deflects the drip past the converter to avoid the smoke. I'm still in touch h with the member who developed the solution and it still works!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts