Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed oil on ground and reached under the front end this morning and found some oil on edge of the plastic "shield" about an arm's length away from front. Haven't popped the hood yet, but wondering if I'll be able to see anything from that angle anyway. Anything I should look for? 2016 Grand Touring with 79k miles. I bought it earlier this year, and haven't even driven it much due to Covid. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
if a visual inspection is inconclusive - a good way to determine where the oil leak is coming from is to use some UV oil dye and a UV light source to spot the leak (ie, UV flashlight). You can shop around for better prices but usually auto parts stores should have them.

first try to determine if it's engine oil, power steering, transmission, etc.

Add a little bit of UV dye to the suspect system and operate the engine to working temperature. Usually that's enough to produce some result. If not then you have a very small leak and may require longer cycle to see result. Have patience and do one system at a time. Probably start with engine oil since that is more common

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts
Noticed oil on ground and reached under the front end this morning and found some oil on edge of the plastic "shield" about an arm's length away from front. Haven't popped the hood yet, but wondering if I'll be able to see anything from that angle anyway. Anything I should look for? 2016 Grand Touring with 79k miles. I bought it earlier this year, and haven't even driven it much due to Covid. Thanks!
Congratulations on the new driveway ornament... :rolleyes:

Brown oil is engine, red or blue oil is other (transmission, power steering). I usually tell by smell.

I bet your oil filter is not fully tight.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
There is no power steering; these cars are electric PS boost. It's either oil or transmission; put the front on ramps, remove the belly pan (not hard) and it should be rather obvious where it's coming from.

You need to find it and fix it; by the time you're actually able to see a leak with a belly-skirted vehicle on the ground it's not leaking a little -- it's leaking a lot or over a long period of time and that can turn into big trouble real fast, especially if it's transmission fluid as that's not easily checked (unlike engine oil.)

Easiest is that whoever did the last oil change buggered the job and it's leaking either from the drain plug or oil filter. Note that with the drain plug if you do not have a Fumoto valve on the car the washer is NOT reusable; it's an aluminum crush washer and if you re-use it it WILL leak.

·
Super Moderator
17,364 Posts
There is no power steering; these cars are electric PS boost. It's either oil or transmission; put the front on ramps, remove the belly pan (not hard) and it should be rather obvious where it's coming from.

You need to find it and fix it; by the time you're actually able to see a leak with a belly-skirted vehicle on the ground it's not leaking a little -- it's leaking a lot or over a long period of time and that can turn into big trouble real fast, especially if it's transmission fluid as that's not easily checked (unlike engine oil.)

Easiest is that whoever did the last oil change buggered the job and it's leaking either from the drain plug or oil filter. Note that with the drain plug if you do not have a Fumoto valve on the car the washer is NOT reusable; it's an aluminum crush washer and if you re-use it it WILL leak.
Exactly what he said. No power steering in the 3rd gen, so that's not it. The washers for the oil drain plug should never be re-used and (hopefully) is the source of your issue.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
it depends on what year 3rd gen. Earlier 3rd gen (ie; 2012-13) still uses hydraulic power steering

I overlooked that he has the 2016 model.

wait when does 3rd gen starts? 2014?

edit: I am so surprise Talon hasn't chimed in. He has a real hard-on for me 🤡

·
Super Moderator
17,364 Posts
it depends on what year 3rd gen. Earlier 3rd gen (ie; 2012-13) still uses hydraulic power steering

I overlooked that he has the 2016 model.

edit: I am so surprise Talon hasn't chimed in. He has a real hard-on for me 🤡
All 3rd gens (model year 2014+, build date 2012+) have full electronic steering :)

Talon is just bored because he hasn't gotten in any arguments lately XD

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yes. you are right. 2014+ for 3rd gen. hahaha

it wasn't sold until 2014 model year but was introduced in 2012.. that's where i mixed it up. lol

·
Super Moderator
17,364 Posts
yes. you are right. 2014+ for 3rd gen. hahaha

it wasn't sold until 2014 model year but was introduced in 2012.. that's where i mixed it up. lol
Yeah, stupid marketing gimmicks. The 3rd gen starts with "2014" but you were able to purchase a "2014" as early as December of 2012 in North America.

But back on subject here, OP let us know what you find out when you take a peek under the car!

·
Registered
2014 Grand Touring
39 Posts
One thing to check is the oil pressure switch. It’s located above the oil filter.

I had to replace mine recently. It developed a bad leak between the sensors metal base and the plastic body.

·
Rally Racer
2,715 Posts

oops, I thought I was responding to a Mk1 thread and totally missed the date part. My bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts