Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st of all, I hope this is the right section for this problem :)

I accidently saw some oil stain on my driveway recently, so start investigating where this oil is from. Upon crawling under the car and witness some kind of oil mess under the wheel well. (left side, passenger side of car, --- bear in mind mine is right hand drive car :) ).

This is what it looks like on the driveshaft and the lower control arm, it looks a bit messy.

But upon looking further up the control arm, I see more mess up there on the bottom part of the shork absorber.

Now I am wondering where this oil is from? I thought it could be from the shock absorber as the drive shaft is pretty much very clean as it is from these pics.

But there are oil stain on the lower control arm just above the driveshaft.

And the lower shock absorber as well

By comparision, the right side or driver side is very clean as you can see here on both the shock absorber and the drive shaft.

So what do you think the conclusion should be? I was thinking the shock absorber is having some oil leak. But dose it contain this much oil to make this kind of mess? BTW, I think this has been on going for the last couple of months as I notice this mark on the driveway, and it seems like getting bigger as time goes on. I was worrying the drive shaft or drive train somewhere is leaking. But seems like those are very clean at the moment to rule it out. What do you think?

Sorry for all these pics on this post but I thought picture worth the thousand words :)

Car is being sent back to dealer on Monday to have it check up. But meantime I would like to have a bit of thinking and see there for myself and wait for the verdict from the dealer at the same times.

Thanks for any opions on this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It does seem like it's most likely shock oil. The entire shock tube is filled with oil, so there's certainly enough. Where you really need to look is up under the spring, where the silver shock rod enters the tube. Any sign of oil there, under the "dust cover" is a sure sign of a leaky shock.

Looks like you have aftermarket springs on there, these can certainly cause extra wear on the shock seals, leading to premature failure.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your helps.

I will firstly check the oil level on the brake oil reservoir to see if any sign as crossbow mentioned.

As to checking the oil stain under the rubber boot as Waldo said, I have a slight idea what it is like. But is it the one under the car where the top of the spring sits? But where do I check this? Is it under the car right at the top of the shock or I can check it on top of the car just under the bonnet ( hood ) under the strut's cover? If it is under the car, wonder how I am able to check it as it seems to be really tightly seat up there. Or I just need to put my finger up there to check if oil is there? Sorry for this stupid questions :)

BTW, is this the part you refer to with the red arrow points to in this pic:

The blue spring is aftermarket spring fitted by my dealer and this car ( MPS 6 ) has only done some 4000Km so it is too early for wear and tear I guess. Also fortunely this is dealer fitted mod, so hopefully they can't blame the spring as the culprit.

Also I have just found out the 3 has the tendancy of the engine mount broke and spitting oil everywhere under the wheel arch and the front axle. Does it look anything remotely like it in my case? What does the engine mount in the first place anyway?

Thanks for any further opinions.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
4000 km is early for a blown shock, but its still possible depending on the amount of distance the car was lowered. It is also possible the shock was damaged from the factory, or during installation of the springs.

If your car was spitting oil...well I'd hope you'd have checked your oil level...but that would be enormously bad, beyond any and all comprehension. I don't think you want to see the bill for a Speed6 engine.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Crossbow. I was worrying if the oil is from the engine when I first saw oil leak under the car. But up till now I hope and for what I see so far, doesn't seem to be the case it is from the engine. As the drive shaft and under engine is clean. Also the engine oil level is lower but not alarmingly low ( halfway between FULL and EMPTY mark on the dipstick ) with 3000K done after the 1st service.

I hope it is the case that after the aftermarket spring was put on, and it may somehow effect the shock. Or as you said, it was defect from factory, I hope. Could that be case where the damage might have been done during the process of putting the lowered spring on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts