Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I saw the material, yes, but beyond the filter diameter where this media is visible, what are the details, there? What about the media parameters there? Not trying to play devil's advocate, nor do I disregard possible cost differences, and you are likely right but you've got to be scientific 🙂... BTW I think so many modernday oil filters are puny-a**. Size doesn't say it all tho.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at it this way. One time a comedian was talking about stuff and pointed out that banks dont teach their tellers to identify fake bills, they teach them to identify real ones, so that when they see a fake, it stands out like a sore thumb. The pic doesnt show it all, but i could tell the value one was total shit, call it a practiced eye, i didnt spend more than 2 seconds looking at it to make up my mind, so i cant give any more details. If someone wants to Paypal me $25, ill cut open the spare and the K&N i have downstairs, both of them new.

Im a big Hastings fan and even theirs isnt as good as the Thailand one, so ill be switching permanently cause its been hit or miss for me to find Hastings when i need it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I also far prefer the Mazda Genuine filters (air especially, and also oil) over their Value line. It's a little hard for me to pay $9 for the Mazda oil filter, though, when $9 will get me a far better-filtering filter; the best-filtering filter available for the application.

I didn't realize K&N oil filters are $15.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a little hard for me to pay $9 for the Mazda oil filter, though, when $9 will get me a far better-filtering filter; the best-filtering filter available for the application.
Its $18/year... But what do you think is better?

I didn't realize K&N oil filters are $15.
At Autozone/Advanced they are.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I've run a mixture of the Taiwan/Japanese and Mexican filters on my '15 since it was new. Whatever the stealer had I bought, and usually four at a time since it was "buy 3, get 4."

I've also run plenty of UOAs on the car over the years too, some with one of the filters and some with the other.

There's no difference in performance as measured by UOA.

"Good enough to prevent engine wear" is, well, exactly that.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
209 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
300 Posts
Wow. You guys really take oil filters seriously. I have always used Fram filters and never had a problem. I like them because of the convenience of the black textured grip that makes removing them easier than others. Staying on topic, though, has anybody ever had an issue with the Mexican- or Thai-made filters?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its $18/year... But what do you think is better?
Fram Ultra filtration efficiency is the best available for passenger car applications, at last check. It’s really not even close. Happily, one does not give up flow in order to get the superior filtration efficiency.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow. You guys really take oil filters seriously. I have always used Fram filters and never had a problem. I like them because of the convenience of the black textured grip that makes removing them easier than others. Staying on topic, though, has anybody ever had an issue with the Mexican- or Thai-made filters?
I like the Fram filters, too. They seem to be made well enough, don't break the bank, and are easy to install with that textured grip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts