Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone show me step by step with pictures how to remove the oil filter? thank you very much, its very appreciated, and helps a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This link doesn't work. Anything new?

I changed my filter last night and it was a nightmare. I had to hammer the filter through the exahust manifold and the frame to get it out from underneath the car. Is there an easier way?

I have a 2004 V6 hatchback w/ MTX.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (nranly @ Nov 17 2008, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1477434
This link doesn't work. Anything new?

I changed my filter last night and it was a nightmare. I had to hammer the filter through the exahust manifold and the frame to get it out from underneath the car. Is there an easier way?

I have a 2004 V6 hatchback w/ MTX.[/b]

It's a tight fit, but it should fit with a little patience and finesse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's not difficult at all ... If you have a hydralic jack just lift the fron of the car thru the crossbar (located in the center on the underside of the front of the car) and you can't miss it ... I'll post pics if you like.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I usually just get the J-hook style oil filter wrench to loosen the filter. It'll dent the old filter but that doesn't matter since you are removing it anyway. Then I just hand tighten the new filter. Never had a problem with leaks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Eh, it's my day off so I went outside and took some pics ...

From the front ...

You wanna locate the crossbar. It's the bulging thing in the picture ...

Next you wanna jack it up here ...

With reference to the downpipe/cat ...

The Oil Filter should be here ...

Now if it's the stock filter, you'd need a Strap Wrench

Which is of course, THE biggest piece of shit in the world.

When you buy your NEW oil filter, grab a hex key for it too, it'll make your life easier for next time.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I used to use a CarQuest 85087 industrial oil filter, it was about 11" long if not a little longer, imagine my pain getting that out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
QUOTE (copper6 @ Apr 22 2006, 11:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=664370
Can someone show me step by step with pictures how to remove the oil filter? thank you very much, its very appreciated, and helps a lot.[/b]
Next time you change your oil put in a K&N oil filter. I believe the it is K&N number 2010. This filter has a 1" nut on the end that makes it extremely easy to tighten and loosen with a standard 1" socket and wrench.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (MN6 @ Nov 20 2008, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1479312
Next time you change your oil put in a K&N oil filter. I believe the it is K&N number 2010. This filter has a 1" nut on the end that makes it extremely easy to tighten and loosen with a standard 1" socket and wrench.[/b]

^+1...makes oil changes so much easier.

·
Registered
734 Posts
if you had to force it out between the frame and manifold chances are you have a bad motor mount.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (markyb @ Nov 20 2008, 01:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1479359
if you had to force it out between the frame and manifold chances are you have a bad motor mount.[/b]

funny you mention that, but I was thinking this yesterday....after I put in my SU mount, it did seem like I had a little more clearance, but I didn't know if it was in my head or not since it's taking me nearly a year to put on 5000 miles between oil changes now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did an oil change on my gf's 6. Most of us don't have fancy lifts which means we'll have to put the car on jack stands and crawl underneath. It's a bit fiddly. Getting the filter off wasn't a problem for me. Got it off with my hand wearing a good, grippy glove. Putting the new filter back kinda sucks. I'm right handed so of course first I'll try that hand, after about 8 minutes of trying to screw the filter back on I started cramping here and there. Turned myself around, used my left with better success. Just be patient, use good lighting and eventually you will get the filter back on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could also just stab through the oil filter with a screwdriver and turn it, if it's a PITA.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
N4TECguy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing