Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i like the mobile 1 oil filter, or the stock motorcraft one is fine, or the k&N if you want to spend shitloads of money.

fram uses newspaper as filter material.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Fram is an example of a company that lives by its marketing department, and the reluctance of consumers to try and learn anything new.

Left is a stock OEM Sti oil filter. On the right is a Fram Toughguard replacement. Which one do you want filtering your engine?

And yes, thats cardboard and glue holding the fram filter media in place.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fram is an example of a company that lives by its marketing department, and the reluctance of consumers to try and learn anything new.

Left is a stock OEM Sti oil filter. On the right is a Fram Toughguard replacement. Which one do you want filtering your engine?

[/b]
dayum LMAO puralotor any good found at advance auto goin napa later 2 day see what they have in stock

X

·
0 Posts

[/b]
Thanks a lot man....i see the difference clearly.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Which one do you want filtering your engine?
[/b]
Clearly the cardboard and glue is superior. That metal stuff on the left just adds weight to the car. Who needs it? :p

I haven't bought a Fram oil filter in nearly 10 years. I've pretty much stuck to Purolator PureOne when possible. I got my current MS6 filter from the dealer, but I'm open to alternatives.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've seen a lot of filter test over the years and Purolater always finishes at or near the top. I think I once saw Purlator place second to the Mobil 1 filters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen a lot of filter test over the years and Purolater always finishes at or near the top. I think I once saw Purlator place second to the Mobil 1 filters.
[/b]
thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Clearly the cardboard and glue is superior. That metal stuff on the left just adds weight to the car. Who needs it? :p

I haven't bought a Fram oil filter in nearly 10 years. I've pretty much stuck to Purolator PureOne when possible. I got my current MS6 filter from the dealer, but I'm open to alternatives.
[/b]
hmmm... come to think of it maybe it IS superior. Don't judge a book.... :) you know how it goes.

As long as the cartboard and glue holds (and I assume fram did their R&D and it does hold) that design could potentially be better than the metal one. After all there is no glue between the filter element and the metal caps, meaning unfiltered oil can seep out in between. There can be no such seepage on the fram design....

just a though.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If you'd like to read about instances where the fram filter media has collapsed, and even one or two of complete filter failures...

Hit up the oil filter forum at
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Marketing and brand loyalty is the only thing that keeps fram alive. The only filter they've made in the past 15 years that has any sort of quality is the X2's.

If you want the polar opposite to fram, check out baldwin. They are much harder to find, but generally are considered one of the best spin-on full flow oil filters on the market.

Of course if you really get into discussions, there are some people who argue the full flow oil filters are pratically worthless and serve little or no function. (Which is why people theorize fram hasn't been sued into oblivion...as the car doesn't die if the filter goes into 100% bypass due to a collapsed center stack) If you actually want to filter your oil, you need to move to a bypass system.

·
Registered
919 Posts
K&N is all I use. It's worth the $10 for quality and easy access. (top nut)

You pay a shitload for your car, it's just not worth it to me speculating on the quality of other filters. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Advance Auto carries the Purolator filters, but you have to ask for the part number at the desk, the books aren't updated yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you'd like to read about instances where the fram filter media has collapsed, and even one or two of complete filter failures...

Hit up the oil filter forum at
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Marketing and brand loyalty is the only thing that keeps fram alive. The only filter they've made in the past 15 years that has any sort of quality is the X2's.

If you want the polar opposite to fram, check out baldwin. They are much harder to find, but generally are considered one of the best spin-on full flow oil filters on the market.

Of course if you really get into discussions, there are some people who argue the full flow oil filters are pratically worthless and serve little or no function. (Which is why people theorize fram hasn't been sued into oblivion...as the car doesn't die if the filter goes into 100% bypass due to a collapsed center stack) If you actually want to filter your oil, you need to move to a bypass system.
[/b]
thanx for the link crossbow, but I don't feel like searching through the whole site trying to find those things. Can you provide a direct link?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not really, there are literarly thousands of discussions. What type of discussion do you want to read specifically? Bob's search engine works pretty good.

Just search for full flow vs bypass in the filter subsection if thats the type of discussion you're looking for.
[/b]
well, I was refering to what you said:

"If you'd like to read about instances where the fram filter media has collapsed, and even one or two of complete filter failures..."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
Alan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing