Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,364 Posts
I have an ‘04 Mazda 6 wagon. Despite videos to the contrary, the oil filter will not clear the frame/steering member below. Any suggestions?
I am curious what kind of filter is on that thing. The steering member is on the rear of the engine. The oil filter in on the front of the engine. I just pulled mine 30mins ago. I can fit my arm through there with a 3/8" driver and filter socket without issue. :unsure:
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
157 Posts
For me the oil filter is about 1/2" smaller than the opening between the exhaust and the lower radiator support. Means less control that one might like and so the real risk of oil spilling out of the filter as its removed. Use aluminum foil to wrap the exhaust in that area.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,364 Posts
For me the oil filter is about 1/2" smaller than the opening between the exhaust and the lower radiator support. Means less control that one might like and so the real risk of oil spilling out of the filter as its removed. Use aluminum foil to wrap the exhaust in that area.
That sounds about right, 4.5" opening with a 4" filter.
I unscrew it a revolution or so and just let it drip out. If I am not is a rush it misses the exhaust completely. However, from my picture you can tell I am rarely that patient. 😂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts