Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to changing oil on my own. Where is the filter located on 2.3l? Has anybody changed oil on their 4cyl version?

Thanks
-Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Oil filter on I4

As I understand it, you need a special tool to change the oil in the I-4. I would take to your dealers service department about this. Why that is, I'm not sure. I've heard that it is illegal in Japan to change your own oil(maybe in other countries as well); so since the U.S. I-4 is the same engine as Japan, that could be the reason since Mazda Japan designed the I-4. I have a V6, and since its a Duratec block, it takes a standard filter that Mazda and Ford share.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Oil filter on I4

Illegal? Cause of the oil's bad for the nature?

Anyway isn't changing oil part of the service intervals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Oil filter on I4'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Brillo


            As I understand it, you need a special tool to change the oil in the I-4. I would take to your dealers service department about this. Why that is, I'm not sure. I've heard that it is illegal in Japan to change your own oil(maybe in other countries as well); so since the U.S. I-4 is the same engine as Japan, that could be the reason since Mazda Japan designed the I-4. I have a V6, and since its a Duratec block, it takes a standard filter that Mazda and Ford share.[/b]

That is exactly what owner's manual says: take your car to dealership to change filter because it requires special tool. Simultaneously, the same manual describes how to drain oil from the engine. And the same manual specifies that the oil filter should be changed at the same time as the oil!

Sounds like no logic to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Oil filter on I4'

Thanks LBJay. Can you share the source of information on the engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Oil filter on I4'

QUOTE
Originally posted by Blackbird


            Illegal? Cause of the oil's bad for the nature?

Anyway isn't changing oil part of the service intervals?[/b]

Maybe I wasn't clear, I thought it was not legal to change your oil personally (ie in your garage) and that it had to be done by someone professional (akin to Jiffy Lube) in Japan. Again, this is something I just thought I remembered reading, I could be wrong. I was just trying to think of why you would need a tool to change the I-4 oil, and not the 6. I have heard from several people that old Japanese cars that were made in Japan were pretty notorious for being very difficult to do you own oil changes on, again a way of keeping people from changing there own oil in Japan due to the law....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Oil filter on I4

If I can't change my own oil, I will hate the car. No matter how hard I try, I seriously will have lost all respect for the car.

I'm being quite serious here. I love the car, but not being able to change my own oil is ludicrous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Oil filter on I4'

QUOTE
Originally posted by mbd_int


            Thanks LBJay. Can you share the source of information on the engine?[/b]
Not sure what you are looking for. On the filter, when I went in to get a filter for my 6s the guy at the parts counter said something like "One the those is a cartridge, isn't it?" He was just sort of thinking out loud. Since my car was the first 6 the dealer had sold, I didn't hold not knowing against him. :D

I don't have a 4cyl so your guess is a good as mine on what filter it takes. But I would suspect the "Special Tool" is simply a filter wrench of some type.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Reading Topic: Oil filter on I4

And what do we got on this thing? A Cuisinart?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replying to Topic 'Oil filter on I4'

Are there any moderators around? :D

These guys are way off topic :whip
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Oil filter on I4

I'm here!!

(But I'm not exactly the guy to complain about taking threads off-topic... :D)

Guys!!
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top