Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I will be doing my own oil changes on our new GTR, I needed to source an oil filter wrench. I did a quick and dirty measurement of the OEM filter with a ruler, and came up with 67mm diameter from flat to flat. I ordered a cup wrench that was for filters 65-67mm with 14 flats...no luck, it was just a little too small. I measured the filter with calipers and found it to be 67.5mm. I found a Steelman 06109 68mm cup wrench on Amazon that fits for $8.99.

·
Super Moderator
17,231 Posts
Good to know - I've never been steered wrong by one of these bad boys:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The OEM Mazda-branded Tokyo Roki PE 01-14-302A or B filter that came factory-original was 66mm 14 flute. The Thai-made dealer-available Mazda branded ones are 65mm 14 flute. My cup socket fits only the latter. I wish I could get the OEM original made-in-Japan ones... but they appear to not be available any more.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cdn17Sport6MT, you can still find the original PY8W-14-302 turbo filters on ebay...I bought 20 of them from medcentermazda. You need to be careful, other suppliers show this original filter in their ebay pictures, but supply the crappy Thai filter when you order them. I told one supplier they had better change their photo as it was false advertising, but they blew me off.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The OEM Mazda-branded Tokyo Roki PE 01-14-302A or B filter that came factory-original was 66mm 14 flute. The Thai-made dealer-available Mazda branded ones are 65mm 14 flute. My cup socket fits only the latter. I wish I could get the OEM original made-in-Japan ones... but they appear to not be available any more.
I often find that i have to cut a narrow strip of file folder thickness / cardstock as a shim... and attach it with a bit of tape to the oil filter to build-out the oil filter across-opposing-flats dimension... to fit my cup socket properly. Not just my current one - but others I've tried. Otherwise the 14 flutes can "strip".. which is a PITA. I can't always break out my rubber strap wrench... I find this a pain cuz i also have to do it on my '97 Civic.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Cdn17Sport6MT, you can still find the original PY8W-14-302 turbo filters on ebay...I bought 20 of them from medcentermazda. You need to be careful, other suppliers show this original filter in their ebay pictures, but supply the crappy Thai filter when you order them. I told one supplier they had better change their photo as it was false advertising, but they blew me off.
I have the non turbo 2.5 Skyactiv-G... model year 2017. Is your indicated filter the same as PE 01 - 14 - 302A or B?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo and the non-turbo 2.5L engines use different oil filters. They can be identified by the stripe...non-turbo filters have a single stripe, turbo filters have a dual stripe. There was a Technical Service Bulletin released on this by Mazda.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bypassed this issue a few years ago by using K&N oil filters. They make a 'wrench-off' variety that has a 1" nut welded to it. If you don't have a 1" wrench around, you can use a suitable crescent wrench. Keeps me from having to have separate filter wrenches for my three vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts