Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Mazda6 (I have a 2005), but I've been working on cars long enough to workaround most situations fairly well. However, today when I went to change the oil it took me a while to get the filter out from the engine compartment! I found it best to remove the engine cover and bring the filter straight up between the power steering hoses and the engine.

Reading oil change writeup on the front page it did mention that you might have to push the exhaust manifold out of the way slightly, but mine will not move at all. I even used my breaker bar as a pry bar to try to get some leverage and it was a no go.'

What is the best way to get the filter to clear the inadequate space between the frame and exhaust manifold? :swearin:
-hype

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I have not had an issue with my oil filter. It comes off fairly easy. Don't have to move anything. Maybe you can take a picture from down below to show your problem.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My exhaust manifold makes it hard, but not impossible to get a filter through. It's usually the metal lip at the edge of the filter that takes a bit of pushing and wiggling to get through.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
A little trouble here getting the filter past the exhaust, but it makes it without too much trouble. Sounds like your exhaust may be positioned a little differently. I would guess the position isn't absolute but can cary some.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
as blackmagik said, oil filter supposed to be takin from underneath the car, can be hard to find sometimes but its there, ive never had any issues with fitment, you guys are moving your exhausts? jeeeez. a breaker bar? my god.

mazda wouldnt make a car so you'd hafta rape the exhaust pipe to get the filter out..

http://mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=com...&id=60&Itemid=1

If you have trouble getting the filter "out" aka, it won't fit past the exhaust manifold...then your most likely cursed. Someone somewhere has cursed you, and the curse is now affecting your ability to remove your dirty old oil filter from your car. There are two solutions to this problem. One includes a intercontinental vision quest, while the other involves pushing back on the exhaust manifold till you can get the filter through the gap of synthetic carnage.[/b]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Try it from below. Never had an issue with mine. Unless there was a change between O4' and 05' that I am not aware of.

Try it from below. Never had an issue with mine. Unless there was a change between O4' and 05' that I am not aware of.

·
Registered
309 Posts
[/b]
Are you making fun of me? :stickpoke:

And I just got my drivers license. :D

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to take a picture later because I don't have another filter handy, but you seriously cannot drop the filter through the bottom. I tried moving up and around the exhaust manifold to see if it would be easier there, but at that point I just pulled the filter out through the top between the radiator and engine (I had to remove the plastic cover).

After doing all that work just to get the filter out I seriously thought Ford/Mazda had the most ridiculous design I had ever seen.
-hype

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Update - No problem with clearance for my car (2003 6S). However for my wife's car (2004 6S Wagon), the clearance is really tight. It's not just tight, it's a bitch to get the filter out!

I basically have to lube the filter housing with oil and force it thru. The same thing with the replacement filter. It's hard to get the filter unscratched. Thank God I use K&N (solid housing). I definately plan to change the oil every 7500 miles because it's not worth the trouble to change the oil often.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wow....I've never had a clearance problem at all. Yeah, it's close and I have to be careful, but I've never had to brute force anything. I just take my time and it slips right out.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Never had an issue with mine and I run a CarQuest industrial oil filter, which is about 6" tall. I always drop it out from the bottom.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you sure you are driving a MAZDA 6 and not some other car? I have no problems with oil filter clearance. I have to use a cap style filter wrench with an extension, but no clearance issues when removing.

Now, the oil draining from the filter onto the downpipe.... that's another issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I also don't seem to have too much of a problem with the filter. I previously used and replaced with a K&N. The top nut on the filter is a great thing to have. It makes it so much easier to loosen.

I also agree that the oil draining from the filter when removing it is a PITA, but that's what putting the foil on the pipe is there for.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Are you sure you are driving a MAZDA 6 and not some other car?
[/b]
Uhm... What's a Mazda 6? Wait, I thought this is a Civic forum....
:sarc:

To re-iterate again, I have 2 Mazda 6. 2003 6S Sedan and 2004 6S Wagon. I have no problem with the sedan. I have problem with the wagon.

I'll take pictures next time I go under both cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
17 Participants
2fast4u
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing