Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all the great info didnt expect so many answers. From what im gathering it seems as thoe the oil cooler in our vehicles really isnt the devil. The oil cooler keeps are oil at operating temp wheres its thinner and can lubricate the best. This system might not be the best for track days where temps can exceed normal driving but on an everyday basis the oil cooler should be fine in our vehicles

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Does anyone have an oil temp/pressure gauge? Would we benefit from an additional oil cooler setup like Brandini outlined?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
with everything else you've done, i don't see how it could hurt at all.

However, for most people, monitoring oil temp is to let you know something is wrong in the system. If you are driving the car on the street, and your oil temp is dangeriously high, you have a serious problem.

If you track your car, as in open track days and whatnot, you are WOT 80% of the time for a 20-30min time period...that creates a crapload of heat. monitoring oil temp will let you know if you need additional cooling in this case, as it's expected for oil temps to get very high. I would recommend getting a gauge first to anyone looking into adding a cooler, as you might find in the driving conditions you do, you need more or less additional cooling that you had thought.

in my car, after the engine break in on the dino oil, i would get about 4 hot laps before overheating the oil (220-230*) without any sort of cooling. switching to the syn oil got be about 12 laps before hitting the 230* mark. Oil cooler is in the works, but just never got around to doing it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
QUOTE (MS6 P.C. @ Apr 13 2009, 12:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1546595
Read OP's 2nd question. Dont act like you know what you're talking about. STFU![/b]
I know exactly what I'm talking about, just not of question B in his post which I overlooked.

A better question would be, are you overheating now? Are you going to be running track days?

Have you tried adding Redline Watter Wetter to your coolant first? Sure you can get the $500 radiator, pay to fabricate your own supports (not included in price), and solve a problem you didn't really have... But you can also sped a few bucks to direct as much air at the radiator that you can,

-get a separate fan controller (cordova motorsports),
-look into an air diversion panel (like this but compatible with the hood on a speed: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/greddy-...04-p-23208.html ). You may have to custom fab one but a sheet of aluminum is cheap.

There are many options before you go spending big bucks. Work smarter not harder.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Note on Brandini's water wetter comment. Water wetter is primarily designed to be added to WATER, not a water/coolant mix. Thus if added to 50/50 water/coolant, it has a negligible effect. Add it to a 60/40 mix, it starts working better, 70/30 even better...etc etc.

Most of us can easily run 60/40 in water/coolant mixes and be perfectly safe in the winter. Fan control, and water/coolant mix are the easiest fixes for higher coolant temps.

Now adding to the discussion...with oil temps, if you start dumping in heavier weight oil, you're going to see higher oil temps. There is always a perfect mix for a particular car, where the oil is protecting enough at WOT conditions, and not causing so much viscosity to effect oil temps.

As to comments about coolant/oil warming up...

It takes a VERY long time for oil to reach operating temperature. You wouldn't believe it without having your own oil temp gauge. On a cold morning, it can be upwards of 10 minutes before your oil's up to temp (without an oil cooler/warmer). I remember someone had an oil temp gauge on his 6s, in the snow belt, saying something like 15 minutes before his oil was at 180F...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
QUOTE (crossbow @ Apr 13 2009, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1546835
Note on Brandini's water wetter comment. Water wetter is primarily designed to be added to WATER, not a water/coolant mix. Thus if added to 50/50 water/coolant, it has a negligible effect. Add it to a 60/40 mix, it starts working better, 70/30 even better...etc etc.

Most of us can easily run 60/40 in water/coolant mixes and be perfectly safe in the winter. Fan control, and water/coolant mix are the easiest fixes for higher coolant temps.

Now adding to the discussion...with oil temps, if you start dumping in heavier weight oil, you're going to see higher oil temps. There is always a perfect mix for a particular car, where the oil is protecting enough at WOT conditions, and not causing so much viscosity to effect oil temps.

As to comments about coolant/oil warming up...

It takes a VERY long time for oil to reach operating temperature. You wouldn't believe it without having your own oil temp gauge. On a cold morning, it can be upwards of 10 minutes before your oil's up to temp (without an oil cooler/warmer). I remember someone had an oil temp gauge on his 6s, in the snow belt, saying something like 15 minutes before his oil was at 180F...[/b]
Yeah, I run the Water Wetter with a mix of only 25% AF with 75% water just to keep corrosion away and lube the WP. I don't take the Speed6 or the SC Miata out in "inclimate" weather!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think in this particular app. being for the MS6. It does serve more as a oil cooler with the high temps of the turbo.
Being the OP I would first get a oil temp gauge. Check the oil temps. Then if needed get a B&M oil cooler with fan and run an on/off switch to it mounted in car for track days.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (crossbow @ Apr 13 2009, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1546835
It takes a VERY long time for oil to reach operating temperature. You wouldn't believe it without having your own oil temp gauge. On a cold morning, it can be upwards of 10 minutes before your oil's up to temp (without an oil cooler/warmer). I remember someone had an oil temp gauge on his 6s, in the snow belt, saying something like 15 minutes before his oil was at 180F...[/b]
Absolutely. I have an oil temp gauge on my MS6, which I use primarily to let me know when the oil has reached 140degF so I can safely start building boost. Even with the factory heat exhanger, the oil doesn't come up to temperature for 15~20 minutes of driving in cold weather. The coolant is usually close to 180degF before the oil temp needle moves off of 100degF (the minimum on my gauge).

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a generic 2006 Mazda 6i and am experiencing an oil leak. A one over guy told me it was the rear main seal but my oil leak is truly not that extensive but its bad enough that I want to fix it. I read on many forums that ford threw on a bunch of cheap aluminum oil coolers and that those things go to crap really fast, so I wanted to replace mine with an oem mazda part I bought made out of copper. When I went to the oil filter location, which on pretty much most every mazda car they also put the cooler, I found that on my car there was no cooler in that location. I was wondering if anyone knows where my cooler is located so I can at least get that thing replaced. If the leak really is a rear main seal so be it I will fix that some other time.

·
Rally Racer
2,293 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a generic 2006 Mazda 6i and am experiencing an oil leak. A one over guy told me it was the rear main seal but my oil leak is truly not that extensive but its bad enough that I want to fix it. I read on many forums that ford threw on a bunch of cheap aluminum oil coolers and that those things go to crap really fast, so I wanted to replace mine with an oem mazda part I bought made out of copper. When I went to the oil filter location, which on pretty much most every mazda car they also put the cooler, I found that on my car there was no cooler in that location. I was wondering if anyone knows where my cooler is located so I can at least get that thing replaced. If the leak really is a rear main seal so be it I will fix that some other time.
Hello, I have never heard of a 6i having an oil cooler or a 6s for that matter. This is a Mazdaspeed thread. While you were under there did you look to see where it was leaking from?

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I was under the car I did spend a lot of time searching for the source but I could not locate it. Also I apologize about the wrong use of forum. I thought it was for the sixes. Not the speed sixes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts