Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 and I notice that I’m having to add a quart every 1000 miles or so. It doesn’t really smoke and I had the PCV valve replaced when. I had the motor replaced last year. Also, when I went to pull out some of the spark plugs today for inspection, I noticed a little oil in the spark plug holes where the threads are. Does that sound like a valve cover gasket leak? Do you think my PCV maybe going bad? Please tell me that it’s not an internal engine problem.

·
Registered
684 Posts
A quart every 1,000 miles really is not a concern for this engine. If you haven't started getting misfires, just top up and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
17,374 Posts
I remember my V6 was doing about 1/2 qt every 1000 miles at around 145k miles - nothing worrisome for that engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m planning on replacing my valve cover gaskets and PCV valve in the morning on my 06 V6 in hopes of rectifying the oil loss problem. My question is can I get away with not replacing the oil control valve seal in the valve covers once I remove them? I don’t have the replacement seals.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ahhh yet another first gen oil consumption thread, and another opportunity for me to brag about my 1/2-3/4 of a quart every 4k miles at almost 170k :p Anyhow, @Gerald2775 you can get the OCV seals from a place called Twisted Tuning they're not very expensive and definitely worth doing while you're in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How could you guys deem oil consumption to be acceptable? Internal combustion engines are sealed units. This means that any sort of oil comsumption is not normal at all. My old 2008 Mazda 6 V6 didn't burn any oil whatsoever in between oil intervals.

·
Registered
684 Posts
How could you guys deem oil consumption to be acceptable? Internal combustion engines are sealed units. This means that any sort of oil comsumption is not normal at all. My old 2008 Mazda 6 V6 didn't burn any oil whatsoever in between oil intervals.
Because as many engines wear, the tolerances loosen and oil can just get through. Just because yours didn't doesn't mean lots of other people's don't, so it IS normal. Often there's nothing you can do about it. If you think that's bad, don't Google oil consumption in a Mazda rotary engine...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Because as many engines wear, the tolerances loosen and oil can just get through. Just because yours didn't doesn't mean lots of other people's don't, so it IS normal. Often there's nothing you can do about it. If you think that's bad, don't Google oil consumption in a Mazda rotary engine...
An engine that was properly and fully worn in during the new break in stage (ie, not the abusively hard and fast way) will maintain a high level of tolerances as the mileage accumilates, even after high miles with lots of abusive driving from there on out. After roughly 5000KM (in time for your first oil change, drain factory fill fluid, remove metal shavings which were caught in the oil filter) the engine is well sealed and strong, operating at maximum fuel efficiency with zero oil consumption. Unless the engine has bad piston rings or valve stem seals from the factory - clearly something NOT to be considered "normal" operating conditions for an internal combustion. The only other possibility would be turbocharged engines which can sometimes consume SOME oil as it flows through the turbo and is subjected to very high shearing temperatures.

So no, it's not what I would consider normal whatsoever, especially not at the rate of 1 quart every 1000 miles Mazda has always designed good quality engines with well made internal tolerances, especially in the case of the newer Skyactiv engines which are known to be practically bulletproof with zero issues. Unless it was driven very hard when brand new, they won't burn oil. Yes, there's nothing you can do about it if you're not the original owner or already destroyed your engine.

Also, Rotary engines are a completely different design alltogether. It is specifically designed to burn oil just to operate normal (ie at or near redline). Bottom line, the duratec is not known for oil consumption as evidenced by two different 3L first gens owned by me and my friend respectively.

·
Super Moderator
17,374 Posts
Bottom line, the duratec is not known for oil consumption as evidenced by two different 3L first gens owned by me and my friend respectively.
2 people a consensus does not make. Spending a decade on multiple forums reading and talking about the experiences of hundreds and possibly thousands of others, as well as knowing over a dozen in real life, including myself, who have all seen almost identical results with the Duratec engines says otherwise.

(Many of) these engines (and plenty of others outside of Mazda) burn/lose oil as they age, period.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My old 6 3.0L burned oil as well - a quart every 1,000-4,000 miles over the 100,000 miles I had the car. The more trips to redline and time spent at higher revs increased the consumption noticeably. My current Milan 3.0L also burns oil, although I haven't figured out how often (a quart every 2,000 miles would be my guess) - that car has 250,000 miles on it though, so it's up there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2 people a consensus does not make. Spending a decade on multiple forums reading and talking about the experiences of hundreds and possibly thousands of others, as well as knowing over a dozen in real life, including myself, who have all seen almost identical results with the Duratec engines says otherwise.

(Many of) these engines (and plenty of others outside of Mazda) burn/lose oil as they age, period.
But that doesnt mean it's normal whatsoever. An engine with reasonable quality tolerances that were properly sealed from new are practically good to go for a lifetime of use; typically.

If you are noticing oil "consumption" it can also be leaking from somewhere, or through the PCV system.

I understand two cars are not enough of an example, but these cars are not known for oil consumption, such as a Mk4 Volkswagen Golf with the 2.0 engine which is known to have very bad quality piston rings right from the get go. That's just an example. Mazdas were never known to consume oil due to engineering flaws.

·
Super Moderator
17,374 Posts
Mazdas were never known to consume oil due to engineering flaws.
That's your key statement right there - that doesn't exonerate them from ever having oil issues at all, and when the majority of users experience the same symptoms, it's usually considered a normal occurrence. Just because there isn't a blatant engineering flaw causing a severe issue, doesn't mean engines can't degrade over time.

Not everyone has the skills, tools, money, or time to completely tear apart an engine to figure out why it's eating a little bit of oil and, in most cases, it's not worth it even if you do since plenty of us have gone into the 100s, 200s, even 300s of thousands of miles just as we are.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I had a 2005 3.0 v6 that used a quart every 1500 miles. Never could figure out why, but it did help me understand why oil was sold by the case. It got 28 mpg on the highway and about 25 around town. Really couldn't complain. I miss her, but it was getting tiresome shoving it through emissions every two years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts