Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have a high oil consumption? Ever since I got the car I felt something was wrong. I'm now 3500km after my last oil change and had to put in 1L. The oil is also very dark. Kind of strange when it's supposed to be changed every 8000km.

I'm tempted to get the compression check since I also feel like I lost some power.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
did you break in the engine properly? also did you swap to syn oil in the first thousand miles?? On engines that didn't come with syn oil, the rings will not seat properly if you switched over from dino oil too fast.
On my speed protege I switched from dino to syn at 10k miles. I'm at 20k now with NO noticiable oil loss, also the rings are perfect as I am getting hardly any noticble oil in the catch can.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First time I change oil was at 3000km. It was low so I asked to change it. Last one was at 8000km. Both were synthetic blend from the dealer.

Just got back from the dealer. I used 1.3L of oil in the last 3700km and that is assuming they put the right amount of oil last time, because they usually put more. They want me t0 come back in 1-2k km to run some tests.

I really think there's a problem: Oil consumption, very dark oil, smoke coming out of the exaust under load and a lot of carbon residues in the exaust. I think I'm loosing compression.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please don't tell me these cars are falling apart already!
Mine is in the shop right now for transmission failure.
Has been in twice before for other issues.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think I'm having the same sort of problems with oil consumption. It seems like it's burning quite a bit and the oil isn't as clean. Went to the dealer and they said for my next oil change (at the dealer of course) they'll have me come in every 1000km's to check the levels, if it's out of the norm they have documentation so that Mazda will cover the cost to investigate the problem. So we'll see =\

·
Registered
156 Posts
How many miles do you drive in a day? if you have short trips then you'll have to adjust your oil changes accordingly. I drive 2.5 miles to work and 2.5 from so i'm going to change my oil every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
First time I change oil was at 3000km. It was low so I asked to change it. Last one was at 8000km. Both were synthetic blend from the dealer.

Just got back from the dealer. I used 1.3L of oil in the last 3700km and that is assuming they put the right amount of oil last time, because they usually put more. They want me t0 come back in 1-2k km to run some tests.

I really think there's a problem: Oil consumption, very dark oil, smoke coming out of the exaust under load and a lot of carbon residues in the exaust. I think I'm loosing compression.
[/b]

check your coolant, is it dark?? oily??? could be a headgasket failing. If your getting blue smoke then its oil burning. BTW if you are are using water wetter in the coolant, it'll look a bit like oil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check your coolant, is it dark?? oily??? could be a headgasket failing. If your getting blue smoke then its oil burning. BTW if you are are using water wetter in the coolant, it'll look a bit like oil.
[/b]

I dident see anything unusual with the coolant except the spill around the cap. Coolant is stock.

What's funny is when I was talking with the mechanic at he tell's me that if I was burning oil, I would have a lot of residues in the exaust. Then he put his finger in there(witch comes out totally black) and he's like: ''Oh...'' :laugh:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dident see anything unusual with the coolant except the spill around the cap. Coolant is stock.
What's funny is when I was talking with the mechanic at he tell's me that if I was burning oil, I would have a lot of residues in the exaust. Then he put his finger in there(witch comes out totally black) and he's like: ''Oh...'' :laugh:
[/b]

Yes the pipes will be black as hell on all of our cars. It is because they run too rich. One think you should do is the Oil Analysis.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Oil smell, taste, feel, and appearance are not indicative of wear.

Only a UOA can tell you whether or not the oil is past its interval.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Synthetic fluids can actually turn darker FASTER then dino or semi-syn blends as they generally have a higher concentration of cleaners in them. Certain oils, like redline, are infamous for this. This doesn't mean the oil is used up, just that it's doing the job it was designed for.

Swapping oils from one brand to another will also result in faster then normal oxidation usually, as each manufacturer has a different chemical blend they like to use, which cleans the engine in different ways.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oil smell, taste, feel, and appearance are not indicative of wear.

Only a UOA can tell you whether or not the oil is past its interval.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Synthetic fluids can actually turn darker FASTER then dino or semi-syn blends as they generally have a higher concentration of cleaners in them. Certain oils, like redline, are infamous for this. This doesn't mean the oil is used up, just that it's doing the job it was designed for.

Swapping oils from one brand to another will also result in faster then normal oxidation usually, as each manufacturer has a different chemical blend they like to use, which cleans the engine in different ways.
[/b]
What he said. ^^^

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
12 Participants
mazdaspeed210
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing