Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
QUOTE (MN_07M6i @ Jul 6 2009, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1580232
They want proof that the oil/Filter changes were actually completed. I gave them the receipts and my oil change log book. They submitted back to mazda and the claim was denied. Reason? Lack of proof of maintenance.[/b]
No manufacturer can require that you pay their overpriced dealers to perform routine maintenance. As long as the scheduled maintenance is performed correctly by someone, the law says you should be set.

Sounds like a pretty clear-cut case for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, the high costs and lengthy times involved with litigation mean that these cases rarely get the legal battle they deserve.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are correct.. You do not need to go to the dealer for the maintenance, just that the changes were provided by an authorized center.. ie, Jiffy Lube, Local auto shop, etc.. Doing the oil changes or scheduled maintenance yourself is a lot harder to prove. The receipts for the products are not sufficient enough..

Believe me, I've learned plently over the last four weeks about auto manufacturers. I had looked into the legal system as well and spoken with the Attourney General's office. I do/did have more steps to take if needed.

QUOTE (jd42 @ Jul 6 2009, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1580238
No manufacturer can require that you pay their overpriced dealers to perform routine maintenance. As long as the scheduled maintenance is performed correctly by someone, the law says you should be set.

Sounds like a pretty clear-cut case for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, the high costs and lengthy times involved with litigation mean that these cases rarely get the legal battle they deserve.[/b]

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (MN_07M6i @ Jul 6 2009, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1580232
... While under Warranty...get the oil changed at an authorized service center to avoid the hassels dealing with Mazda Warranty.[/b]

Sorry new Mazda owner here, is there an "official list" of authorized service centers or something, or is this just referring to Jiffy Lube, Pennzoil, Valvoline oil change centers? I don't want to take it to Pennzoil and my warranty be void or some BS...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
QUOTE (jd42 @ Jul 6 2009, 08:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1580238

Sounds like a pretty clear-cut case for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, the high costs and lengthy times involved with litigation mean that these cases rarely get the legal battle they deserve.[/b]
The problem is that the Magnuson-Moss Act (that is shorthand for the long full name of Public Law 93-637, as stated in section 1, now a footnote to 15 USC section 2301) neither provides for attorney fees nor confers a right to bring an action under the Act in federal courts, explicitly leaving the remedy to state courts. Most state courts do not allow attorney fees to be granted absent specific aurthorizing legislation. Therefore, the plaintiff in a Magnuson-Moss Act action usually must bear all of the costs and risks of litigation, and then hope to pay his or her lawyer out of the recovered damages, which -- even if awarded -- usually will be less than the accumulated attorney fees of the plaintiff. The Federal Trade Commission, which wrote the implementing rules for the Magnuson-Moss Act, is not interested in representing individual consumers in their grievances against a warrantor. So, unless the consumer can convince his or her state attorney general's consumer protection division to take up the matter, the cause of action falls by the wayside.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
QUOTE (Wraithier @ Jul 23 2009, 11:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1584969
Sorry new Mazda owner here, is there an "official list" of authorized service centers or something, or is this just referring to Jiffy Lube, Pennzoil, Valvoline oil change centers? I don't want to take it to Pennzoil and my warranty be void or some BS...[/b]
There is no official list. However, Jiffy Lubes are franchise operations, not directly owned by Pennzoil, and some are reputed to be, erm, shady. (These are claims I have read and not verified.) If you are concerned about either (1) losing warranty coverage -- and, probably more likely -- (2) avoiding being hassled before your warranty claim is recognized, then the safest course of action is to have your oil changed at least as frequently as stated in the owner's manual (more frequently is o.k.) by either:
We took the latter route. We purchase Schaeffer Supreme 7000 motor oil (5W-20) -- which is actually less expensive than a lot of the motor oils sold at AutoZone or Target -- from a brick-and-mortar store that we found using this link, and a K&N HP-2010 oil filter from an auto parts store, and take them to the mechanic for the oil change. The mechanic is happy not to charge us for the oil or filter, and usually by that time we need something else to be done (tire rotation, cabin air filter replacement, check brake pad remaining thickness, etc.) to allow the shop at least to break even from the transaction -- but more importantly to the mechanic, to earn your trust so that when you need real work done, he will get your business; it is the best kind of advertising any mechanic can get.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
posttosh
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing