Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
That is excessive oil consumption - period. It is normal for a car to go through a quart between extended changes (5000 miles is what I consider an extended interval). But you should be able to, even under a severe maintenance schedule, go 3500-4000 miles without consuming more than a quart.

Personally, I think you're losing oil (odd that you haven't noticed a leak) or as another poster mentioned, you've got a PCV issue. Check with the dealer and if no joy, take it to another for a second opinion.

· Registered
211 Posts
It is going back in next Tuesday for the completion of the warrenty work, they had to order an engine mount as well as some other parts. If I ask them to look at the PCV will it be noticable if it is stuck open? I can't imagine they could tell be looking at it, what would they have to do to determine that the PCV is faulty? I plan on checking the oil twice before next Tuesday!
[/b]

Not sure about the 6, but the rule of thumb with PCV valves is that once you remove it, shake it to see if it rattles freely. If it does, it's usually OK. I'd probably just tell them that I didn't feel 4 quarts of oil consumption is appropriate for a new car and to please troubleshoot and correct the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.