Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, tomorrow morning im going to have my first oil change at my dealer. are there any specific instructions i should give? i knowi should make sure the oil cap is on correctly, due to soem of the unfortunate individuals ive read about on here.

what about my rear axle? my car is trouble free with the excetion of the howling at 45 mph, and i dont want to break an axle, or have it crap out on me while driving? what should i ask them to look at or tighten?

anything else i shold know?

thanks in advance, im in a ruch, as i have a 7 hr drive ahead of me and im trying to pack and be on the road by 130, so i apoligize if some of this has been answered before.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Check the levels before you leave, mention the 2nd gear crunch even if you don't have it, you prolly will so document it, if you don't get it then it's not an issue, if you do get it, you have long term documentation... bring a good book/magazine!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The first oil change according to the floor manager who I dealt with should be set up for 5000 miles. I dont know whether to believe him or not, I hear conflicting opinions, such as, the shavings etc... found in the first change in oil is beneficial to the motor, the motor is broken in before its installed, all sorts of shit, in fact, someone said, drive it hard?

What are the correct miles to attempt an oil change?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Its so retarded that there isnt one written understood mileage set. With my V6mtx i did my oil change at 1500 miles. The car ran fine thereafter, however, is that why? The dealer told me 5000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check the levels before you leave, mention the 2nd gear crunch even if you don't have it, you prolly will so document it, if you don't get it then it's not an issue, if you do get it, you have long term documentation... bring a good book/magazine!
[/b]
I haven't heard about this at all. Could you give some more info or where other people are having the same issue?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just went in for my first oil change. Car was at 2,960 miles. The manual recommends the first one to be at 7,500 I think. I will always change oil every 3k miles.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just made an appointment with my dealership for my first oil change. I was just going to wait until 3k but after checking my oil this past weekend and seeing VERY dark oil on the dipstick I have no choice. I can't believe oil can that dark in only 1200 miles. Also I've got that humming / wining sound around 45mph and second gear is a bit choppy. It's going to be a fun time tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My dealer told me 3500 miles i should change first time. But do they use full synthetic oil or do i have to tell them and check that they are using full synthetic oil?? I will go buy some mobile1 then. Also your right im gonna say the 2nd gear crap your right have it on documentation at least. I am gonna do the oil changes myself but the first one is free at the dealership so i might as well take advantage right?

·
Registered
862 Posts
But do they use full synthetic oil or do i have to tell them and check that they are using full synthetic[/b]
The probably won't use full synthetic, but I have been wrong before

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dealer told me 3500 miles i should change first time. But do they use full synthetic oil or do i have to tell them and check that they are using full synthetic oil?? I will go buy some mobile1 then. Also your right im gonna say the 2nd gear crap your right have it on documentation at least. I am gonna do the oil changes myself but the first one is free at the dealership so i might as well take advantage right?
[/b]
I wouldn't put it past any dealer tech to keep the good oil you give them, be it Mobil 1, redline, or whatever, and just put regular dino oil in your car. After all the stories we've read about dealership service department goof-ups, I'm really surprised people still take their cars to them. Oh and those ma and pop mechanics? They'll screw you over just as quick. I don't know if you'll want to take your own synthetic oil with you or not, but if you're going to the dealer, don't forget your KY 'cause one way or another they are going to f*** you.

My suggestion is read the DIY info on 6tech.com (oil change on our cars is basically the same as a 6i), order the filters & drain plug washers online, and do it yourself. Even if you've never turned a wrench before you are less likely to screw something up than the dealer. That's just my opinion and I assume no responsibility if you put Hulk strength on the oil filter housing and crack it.

:drive:

·
Registered
364 Posts
change the oil yourself...it's worth the time spent under the car, and offers a great sense of satisfaction

if you have questions, we'll guide you through the process

·
Registered
940 Posts
change the oil yourself...it's worth the time spent under the car, and offers a great sense of satisfaction

[/b]
Not everyone has the time or interest in changing their own oil. Just do a quick check of the oil level and oil cap and you should be fine (if you have a half assed decent shop/dealer).

·
Registered
862 Posts
I usually change my own but I always do the first on at the dealership even if I have to pay for it. Oh and BTW I had the dealership change my oil today and the kid stalled the car out twice try to get it in to the bay i was LMAO
:laugh:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I usually change my own but I always do the first on at the dealership even if I have to pay for it. Oh and BTW I had the dealership change my oil today and the kid stalled the car out twice try to get it in to the bay i was LMAO
:laugh:
[/b]
Yeah because we all know that the MS6 has the easiest clutch in the world to drive on the first time.... :nono:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have it adjusted, it shouldn't have been that hard.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

[/b]

Yea i know you will and i strongly appreciate the help believe me i know all the help you guys give and its awesome. I just wanted to bum a free oil change thats all then i do plan to do it myself thanks to your guys help. I know the people at the lodi dealership really well so hopefully i can talk to them and make sure they use sythetic oil on my car and i can watch them do it. Then i will start doing it myself. :nana: :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm getting my oil changed soon at 15k when my car is at about 14,050. Is it possible if I could just bring my own oil (Mobil 1 5-20w synthetic) and my own oil filter (K&N oil filter). It would seem that the 15k service should be cheaper since they're not using their oil and filter

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm getting my oil changed soon at 15k when my car is at about 14,050. Is it possible if I could just bring my own oil (Mobil 1 5-20w synthetic) and my own oil filter (K&N oil filter). It would seem that the 15k service should be cheaper since they're not using their oil and filter
[/b]
Or they'll say since you brought your own materials they're going to have to charge you for full labor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts