Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out to start an oil change and the entire underneath of the engine compartment is sealed off with a huge plastic shell. There is NOTHING accessible. This thing is riveted to the frame.

How are you guys doing your oil change? I have no access from the bottom! No oil drain plugs etc!!!!

WTF?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It's just held on by 6 10mm bolts and 1 screw.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it! Thanks.
I was surprised to see that no one (that I saw) had mentioned this step of the procedure.

Now struggling with the filter... urrrggggghhhh....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Got it! Thanks.
I was surprised to see that no one (that I saw) had mentioned this step of the procedure.

Now struggling with the filter... urrrggggghhhh....
[/b]
There's several threads about this, just search for them. And you need a special tool for the filter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's several threads about this, just search for them. And you need a special tool for the filter.
[/b]
Never saw anyone mention the underbody shield!

Got it all changed out. One more tip: The filter wrench is known in the industry as a type "B" filter wrench (aka 76mm/14 flutes).

Used a Napa gold filter and she's up and running.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but the Mazda dealer told me he could sell me the parts to convert the speed to a spin-on filter and it wouldn't void any warranties.

Jason

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just went to the dealer this weekend and bought some filters and the wrench. Filters with o-rings was 6.00 and the wrench was 17.00. Going to change the oil in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I changed the oil this weekend (first time). It was cake! The filter wrench can be picked up from Wal-Mart/autozone/Advance Auto, etc much cheaper then the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just changed my oil last night and would like to add a little to the discussion. There are 8 bolts and 1 plastic pop-rivet that hold on the plastic belly pan. The oil filter drain plug requires a 6mm hex key/allenwrench to remove. It's not really necessary to drain since it doesn't hold alot of oil, and can be easily dumped once the cap is removed. I bought a filter wrench at Advanced Auto for $6 and worked like a charm. Just remember to put a little oil on the new o-ring like you would a spin-on. Most importantly, I have never seen oil shoot so far out of the oil pan drain like this one. It completely cleared my drain pan as it came out a good 10" horizontally. Also, remember to put the drain plug washer back on, my others cars didn't have this so I almost forgot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
bmpopp
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing