Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody..i got a quick question...

What do you guys think...take the car to the dealer and have them change the oil with a regular how every many point checkup, or take it somewhere else and have them do it for 5 dollars cheaper.

my main reason in askin is that the dealer is goin to put in regular oil...and the other place is goin to put in synthetic oil...

whats more important to you guys...the added car inspection or the sythetic oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Reading Topic: oil change

My dealer only charge me 22 dollar for oil change on my mazda6, I think it's safer to change at the dealership, since this car is still nrew, i wouldn't trust other places to change it at this time.

·
Registered
260 Posts

i changed it myself man its alot more trouble than regular cars cuz of the cover and the filter how its not a thing where you pull it out.. cuz it drips when you take off the filter. but o well i put in 4.5 quarts of mobil 5-30 synthetic.. seems to be ok

·
Registered
303 Posts

I just got my first oil change at my dealership, and they only charge me 6.49 for the oil filter, and everything else is free, cuz I got a discount from the service supervisor, and he say the regular oil change is $26 and with coupon it's 19.99, which i think it's still very cheap compare to other places. they put in 5qt of 5-20 oil in my car.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Well according to the warranty section of the 6's owners manual you can get it changed anywhere you want but you need to keep good records because if you do ever need to get warranty work done and you don't get it done at the dealership they may give you a hard time if you need warranty work done. If I were you I would pay the extra just to have the dealership keep the records. You don't want to be screwed in the end just because you want to save 5 bucks now. I just got my 6 and will always be taking back to the dealership because I know my luck and if something major were to go wrong I can always go back and say "hay your Mazda techs did all the work on it"

·
Registered
541 Posts

I got mine changed at the Dealer for $22. I had to go there because none of the local quick lube places had the filters for the 6 yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts

I'll be due within the week for my first oil change, the issue for me is not dealer prices but dealer oil. Im a Mobil 1 full syn guy so I either change it myself or go to a local shop that uses this oil. I'll pay a few extra bucks and do it myself(or have it done at quick change shop) and have the better oil in there. My dealership is far too busy anyway, making an appointment and getting the car there is a huge hassle. Better oil, and changed on my schedule.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'oil change'

Originally posted by TS3 DraGkuLa

whats more important to you guys...the added car inspection or the sythetic oil?

Thanks[/b]
Your car is under warranty with or without this inspection. Conversely, you can always bring your car in for the "checks" without getting your oil changed.

Synthetic vs. Dino is a huge debate, and will likely continue long after the engine on your '6 has died, regardless of whether it had synthetic or dino. Therefore, you'll probably never know which was better...

·
Registered
14 Posts

I'm about to get my first oil change, and I was just questioning whether i should put in 5-30 or 20. Thoughts?

·
Registered
628 Posts

Also, make sure that your dealer does the service themselves. One of my buddies took his Subaru Forester in for an oil change and when he picked it up, it had a sticker from the Citgo down the road in it!

·
Registered
652 Posts

Originally posted by kjrhyder

I'm about to get my first oil change, and I was just questioning whether i should put in 5-30 or 20.  Thoughts?[/b]
That's a decision you will have to make--nobody wants to be responsible for your engine ;)
The cap says 5W20 as does the manual.

There is much debate over the necessity of 5W20.
Mobil supposedly makes a 0W20 that meets the Ford spec that the duratec requires.

I found that Mazda issued a TSB regarding oil in the Tribute--also a 3.0L duratec which was originally spec'ed with 5W20.
-----------------
TSB #01-003/02
Issued 02/06/2002
Recommended Engine Oil
Applicable Models: 2001-2002 Tribute
Oil Viscosity: 5W-20* OR 5W-30
*5W-20 will provide the lowest emissions and highest fuel economy.
-----------------

Knowing it will reach at least 110º F here this summer, I opted for Mobil1 5W30 with the Mobil1 M1-210 filter (the best filter, IMHO).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts