Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to hear how often others are changing the oil in their 6's...

If I remember correctly, the service schedule calls out for every 5000 miles. However, I went ahead and had mine changed the first time at 3000 miles by the dealer -- I've always changed the oil every 3k miles in the past with other cars. I realized later, however, that the dealer put a service due mileage of 6000 miles in the window sticker.

Any thoughts? I've heard that nowadays it's generally acceptable to go 5k miles between oil changes (I've even heard 7500 from a few), but is there any benefit to changing every 3k?

·
Registered
908 Posts
At the MyMazda website, it says to change the oil every 7500. I had my free change at around 3k I think and I think I just made 7k.
That 7500 may just be with the "Light use" service reminder option on the website.
~Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-20 and Mobil 1 filter. Change @ 10k. My friend uses Amsoil in his diesel truck. At 10k, 20k, and 30k he only changed the filter and topped off with 1 qt fresh Amsoil. He has sent a sample for analysis after each change and the numbers are still within tolerances to the point he expects at 40k he can just change the filter again. Sheesh!

·
Registered
924 Posts
I live in Chicago and my driving is somewhere in between the light and heavy use. I am going with the heavy use interval of 5,000. I also used to change the oil in my old car every 3,000, but the book says every 5,000 so that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
5K is fine. I have often changed mine at 3K also but honestly there was never a need. Take a look at the oil. If you're using even halfway decent oil it still looks good well past 3K. Nice to have someone who can test a sample but most of us don't have that luxury. Cool stuff though. :)

·
Administrator
8,402 Posts
It's probably a good idea to get the FIRST oil change at or before 3K miles, since the engine is still "breaking in" and the fine metal shavings from first running the engine can cause problems, both short and long term.

After that, I'd think that 5K will work...

·
Registered
132 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Sep 3 2009, 04:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597424
It's probably a good idea to get the FIRST oil change at or before 3K miles, since the engine is still "breaking in" and the fine metal shavings from first running the engine can cause problems, both short and long term.

After that, I'd think that 5K will work...[/b]
I wasn't thinking along those lines but I did get my 1st at 3K. I figured it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 6-8 months and I was doubtful they changed the oil on a car with 107 miles.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I change all my car's oil at the same intervals....3,333 / 6,666 / 9,999 mileage.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I had my first oil change @ 5K. Sent the oil in for analysis to Blackstone Labs. The results were good / as expected. Some traces of expected contaminants from engine break in, but not fuel, coolant, or oil traces, otherwise the oil was still in good shape. Still active additives in the oil and they estimated it could have gone for another 1.5K miles. I'll stick with 5K unless analysis says something different.

The dealer put 5W-30 in @ 5K. :swearin: Didn't bother me too much because of the summer's higher temps but it ticks me off they didn't say anything. Shame on me for assuming they would actually follow the manufacturer's instructions and put 5W-20 in. I'll be sure to tell them to put 5W-20 in up front or they'll be doing a drain and refill.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
QUOTE (Trippp @ Sep 4 2009, 05:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597824
The dealer put 5W-30 in @ 5K. :swearin: Didn't bother me too much because of the summer's higher temps but it ticks me off they didn't say anything. Shame on me for assuming they would actually follow the manufacturer's instructions and put 5W-20 in. I'll be sure to tell them to put 5W-20 in up front or they'll be doing a drain and refill.[/b]
Mazda specifies 5W-20. If the dealer violated Mazda's recommendation, that should be a red flag and a warning siren that the dealer may be cutting corners elsewhere. If we were you, we would not visit that dealer again. You will want to find a good non-dealer mechanic for post-warranty maintenance and repairs, anyway; as long as you are following Mazda's maintenance schedule and can document it, your warranty will remain valid. So why not use an "outside" mechanic now? Save the dealer for free recall work, and establish a relationship now with an ASE-certified mechanic who wants and needs your business and will follow your instructions for what goes into your car (we have our ASE-certified mechanic put only Schaeffer lubricants and fluids into our Mazda6; no dealer would be that scrupulous). Then you can feel secure that somebody who cares will have maintained your car.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
QUOTE (posttosh @ Sep 4 2009, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597904
Mazda specifies 5W-20. If the dealer violated Mazda's recommendation, that should be a red flag and a warning siren that the dealer may be cutting corners elsewhere. If we were you, we would not visit that dealer again. You will want to find a good non-dealer mechanic for post-warranty maintenance and repairs, anyway; as long as you are following Mazda's maintenance schedule and can document it, your warranty will remain valid. So why not use an "outside" mechanic now? Save the dealer for free recall work, and establish a relationship now with an ASE-certified mechanic who wants and needs your business and will follow your instructions for what goes into your car (we have our ASE-certified mechanic put only Schaeffer lubricants and fluids into our Mazda6; no dealer would be that scrupulous). Then you can feel secure that somebody who cares will have maintained your car.[/b]
Autotown Mazda here in Portland puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597935
Autotown Mazda here in Portland[/b]
That's:
  • Used-to-be Premier Mazda?
  • Before that, used-to-be Scott Thomason Mazda?
  • What before that?
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597935
. . . puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.[/b]
We take our Mazda6 to heartwarmingly politically active Tom Dwyer Automotive at the east end of the Sellwood Bridge. Great shop, with fair prices, and closer than Gladstone.

We find Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-20, which Tom Dwyer Automotive puts in for us, and less pricey than Supreme 9000, perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, more than satisfactory, the best motor oil we ever have encountered. We go a tad higher-end on the filter: K&N HP-2010. Why do you use 5W-40? That seems a bit heavy for our climate.

Tom Dwyer also has fitted new brake rotors and pads that we have supplied. We find it amusing that the shop has a disclaimer on the service order that it will not be responsible for noise from the PBR ULT pads that we supply. PBR ULTs are completely silent; the rap on ULTs is that they dust like crazy, not that they make noise. :laugh:

·
Registered
924 Posts
QUOTE (Trippp @ Sep 4 2009, 07:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597824
I had my first oil change @ 5K. Sent the oil in for analysis to Blackstone Labs. The results were good / as expected. Some traces of expected contaminants from engine break in, but not fuel, coolant, or oil traces, otherwise the oil was still in good shape. Still active additives in the oil and they estimated it could have gone for another 1.5K miles. I'll stick with 5K unless analysis says something different.[/b]
How did you get the old oil? Did you draw some out before bringing it to the dealer? or Did the dealer give you a sample?

I was thinking about doing the Blackstone thing on the next oil change.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
QUOTE (posttosh @ Sep 4 2009, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598080
That's:
  • Used-to-be Premier Mazda?
  • Before that, used-to-be Scott Thomason Mazda?
  • What before that?
We take our Mazda6 to heartwarmingly politically active Tom Dwyer Automotive at the east end of the Sellwood Bridge. Great shop, with fair prices, and closer than Gladstone.

We find Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-20, which Tom Dwyer Automotive puts in for us, and less pricey than Supreme 9000, perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, more than satisfactory, the best motor oil we ever have encountered. We go a tad higher-end on the filter: K&N HP-2010. Why do you use 5W-40? That seems a bit heavy for our climate.

Tom Dwyer also has fitted new brake rotors and pads that we have supplied. We find it amusing that the shop has a disclaimer on the service order that it will not be responsible for noise from the PBR ULT pads that we supply. PBR ULTs are completely silent; the rap on ULTs is that they dust like crazy, not that they make noise. :laugh:[/b]
I believe Premier traded the Mazda franchise for a Hyundai franchise. They will do pretty much any work I need done and are excellent.

I have a MS6 which requires 5w-30, but I run 5w-40 for two reasons:
1) DISI engines tend to shear oil weight down and even if Schaeffers 5w-30 resists that, it's better to be safe than sorry.
2) Mazda currently recommends 5w-40 for the MS6 to help prevent oil from leaking past the turbo seals.

K&N does not make an oil filter for the MS6. Amsoil does not make one either, but recommends Wix for the MS6 oil filter. The MS6 does not use a spin-on filter like the V6 does and I do not want to do the spin-on conversion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 09:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1597935
Autotown Mazda here in Portland puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.[/b]
Reasonable?! Even in northern NJ the standard rate is slightly below that and that is one of the most expensive regions in the country for pretty much everything. My Mazda dealer charges $75/hr. Dealerships very rarely have the best mechanics yet very frequently have the highest prices.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
QUOTE (Ach3r0n @ Sep 4 2009, 10:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598163
Reasonable?! Even in northern NJ the standard rate is slightly below that and that is one of the most expensive regions in the country for pretty much everything. My Mazda dealer charges $75/hr. Dealerships very rarely have the best mechanics yet very frequently have the highest prices.[/b]
Maybe the dealers suck where you are at, but Autotown and Tonkin here have excellent service departments. Auto shop rates here in Portland are kind of spendy. Also, at this point in time, the only places I trust to work on my MS6 engine are Autotown Mazda, Tonkin Mazda, and Surgeline Tuning. Fairly generic shit such as brakes can be done elsewhere.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's the same way over here in Colorado Springs, The dealership has some of the best service and are actually cheaper then taking it to local mechanics.

QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598177
Maybe the dealers suck where you are at, but Autotown and Tonkin here have excellent service departments. Auto shop rates here in Portland are kind of spendy. Also, at this point in time, the only places I trust to work on my MS6 engine are Autotown Mazda, Tonkin Mazda, and Surgeline Tuning. Fairly generic shit such as brakes can be done elsewhere.[/b]

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Tom Z @ Sep 4 2009, 10:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598095
How did you get the old oil? Did you draw some out before bringing it to the dealer? or Did the dealer give you a sample?

I was thinking about doing the Blackstone thing on the next oil change.[/b]
Call or email Blackstone. They'll send you free containers. At my oil change, I handed the container to the service advisor and he gave it to the Tech. The Tech too the sample when he grained the oil, cleaned it up and set it in the cup holder.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598154
I have a MS6 which requires 5w-30, but I run 5w-40

K&N does not make an oil filter for the MS6.[/b]
That explains a lot. I'll never understand why none of the 4-cylinder Mazda engines accepts a spin-on filter, long after the rest of the world has made spin-ons the standard (but the rest of the world does not understand why I refuse to use Microsoft products, so I guess it's a stand-off).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts