Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been reading a lot of engine/oil issues with the 6. I used to put oil additives on my old 626 cause i felt it helped slow down the engine tapping when i used to idle too long. I dont have that problem with the 6 but i wanted to know if u think oil additives help? I used to use Marvil Mystery Oil (recomended by mechanic), Lucas Oil Stabilizer (just seemed non flashy and i liked the viscosity of it), and Duralube (an aviation instructor swore by the damn thing).
Im thinking about using Lucas again on the 6. but i know they say not to put too much oil in the engine and the dealer fills the oil to the limit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i would not put the oil additives in that are really thick, like lucus for example. I noticed that the really thick ones just helped to thicken the oil, to prevent less of a burn off. i used that all the time in my V8 T-Bird, the valve stems were shot in the heads, and i was burning oil like crazy, after an oil change i would throw the container of lucus in and it slowed down the consumption with 20W50 already in the engine. i belive we take 5W20 in our engines, and i think that it may cause problems if the oil is too thick. However i would use the V6 formula of Restore. Its not that thick, and it does help improve the oil so it doenst break down under stress as fast.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...;DaysPrune=1000

Bob's Additive forum.

Duralube is borderline snake oil, and has been sued more then once for false advertising.

Of all the additives in use right now, only three seem to be universally accepted. FP (Fuel Power), LC (Lube Control, though wildly debated in usefulness), and Auto-RX (Everyone loves that stuff).

Of the three, the only one thats actually an oil additive is LC, FP's a fuel additive, and auto-rx is a engine cleaner.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys but i still want to know if you guys recomend an oil additive overall... I know im throwing duralube out of my mind( i suspected it), lucas i think is a good product but may be too much as stated... I never heard of the ones ur talking about crossbow...and i guess u guys never tried marvel mystery oil. it is very thin but im not sure if it really does anything?

The reason i ask is because i think the summer time heat and my style of driving kills this car.. I could almost see the car sweating and crying.. so i figured an oil additive might at least provide some sort of protection.. I really want an oil cooler but its expensive.. I also change the oil about 2000-2500 miles so i think with the right additive for about $5 a pop would help my situation...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I'm using both lubecontrol (for oil) and fuel power (for gas). I'm happy with both.

For more info regarding both products, check out the link that Crossbow gave.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
duralube looks like a chemistry lab kit! Every time I step into Autozone and see it, I can't help to shake my head and snicker.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by mbrogz3000@May 8 2005, 09:30 PM
duralube looks like a chemistry lab kit!  Every time I step into Autozone and see it, I can't help to shake my head and snicker.
[snapback]407122[/snapback]​
...but the infomertials make you wanna beleve!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...;DaysPrune=1000

MMO is also considered somewhat of a snake oil by some members, but no where near as bad as duralube.

If your worried about heat, you should first start by running full synthetics. Both in the engine and the transaxle. If your still worried, you should look into moving to a higher capacity radiator and/or an oil cooler.

If you have an ATX, you should be running a transmission cooler already.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much does trans cooler and/or engine oil cooler run with installation? and can the dealer handle the jobs or do i have to worry about leaks after then install it?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
bg moa lots and lots of moly. or polydyn tx7

·
Registered
232 Posts
First things first. Welcome to the board.

While the content you posted is not full of errors; you are responding on a post that is 11 years old AND it is off-topic.
The original post was not about the additives that motor oil producers use to add to there base stocks, it was about additives that the consumers can buy in an attempt to improve the motor oil they already have.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's not necessary if you're using an engine oil with sufficient levels of additives from the get go.

In my opinion, majority of engine oils dont have enough additives to protect the engine against fuel shear for the entire oil interval.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts