Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 6s Grand Touring Wagon
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, it happened. After about 250k miles, Mazdamn blew a spark-plug. The heli-coil repair didn't take (I couldn't even get the new plug to tighten) so I backed out the insert and noticed only half of it was engaging.

So...options:
1. New head (It's the back bank. kill me now)
2. New engine (Ferd Fusion, I suppose)
3. Try the Cal-Van or time-sert kit (pricey but avoids a head teardown)
4. Scrap the car and buy something else.

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
2005 6s wagon 5MT
Joined
·
175 Posts
I guess it depends on the condition of the rest of the car and the engine. If the car is otherwise in good shape and not rotted, and you still like it, it might not be the worst idea to throw a low-mile Fusion engine at it.

I say either that or try for a time-sert, but that sounds like a pain on the rear bank. Fusion motors are still cheap enough that IMO if you are at the point of pulling the head, just get a new low-mile engine.
 

·
Registered
2005 6s Grand Touring Wagon
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends on the condition of the rest of the car and the engine. If the car is otherwise in good shape and not rotted, and you still like it, it might not be the worst idea to throw a low-mile Fusion engine at it.

I say either that or try for a time-sert, but that sounds like a pain on the rear bank. Fusion motors are still cheap enough that IMO if you are at the point of pulling the head, just get a new low-mile engine.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at.
I think the thing with the heli-coil failure is that the plug is taper-seat and not flat washer, so maybe that's why it failed.
If I can find a Time-Sert cheap enough, I might try that, as it stand I'm not throwing $500 on their kit. I'm not a shop.
 

·
Registered
2005 6s Grand Touring Wagon
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up going with the Time-Sert solution since I don't really have the time or inclination to take the engine out for head work or swap. The fix went like butter, with the major effort going into getting the grease and a few chips out of the cylinder. $25 Amazon Bore-scope helped tremendously in that regard, and also for making sure the valves were closed and the piston was at BDC.

She's back on the road.
As a side note, I went ahead and replaced all the plugs and noticed that 3 of them had worked loose, or at least looser than they should have been.
Crisis averted there. :D
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top