Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few winter tire threads already, but here's my problem. I don't want to negatively effect my odometer reading over the next several months, so I'm pretty weary about putting smaller rims on my 6s. I'm also planning on getting light weight summer rims come spring, so these stock rims will probably become my winter rims anyway. I priced out getting a set of 215/45R18 winter rubber, and it would cost $300 Canadian per corner. A little steep.

Has anyone had any success putting on a smaller rim and a bigger tire, which just happens to come to the same diameter as the stock 18" tires? Are there any other tricks to offsetting the odometer/speedometer without replacing the ECU?

I've never driven a car with winter tires, I've always just used all-season, but everyone I talk to who uses them says they're a must. :unsure: My commute to work is about 25 kms highway and 15 kms city each way, is winter rubber really worth the expense?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If you drive somewhere where the roads are generally cleared, there's not much reason to get winter tires for such a short commute.

As for the speedometer thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You usually offset most of the difference with a bigger tire, and what remains is usually only a couple percent difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you drive somewhere where the roads are generally cleared, there's not much reason to get winter tires for such a short commute.[/b]
So 25km highway and 15km city is a short commute? Interesting.

I'd say if you get a fair bit of snow or ice on the roads where you live, winter tires are definitely a good safety feature. There is absolutely no comparison in the traction you get even with the best all-season tire and the traction you get with a half-decent winter tire.
Are they worth it? Is it worth it to spend $1000 to decrease your chances of getting into an accident during the winter? For me this year it definitely was. Then again, we have snow on the ground for about 7 months of out a year.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
Has anyone had any success putting on a smaller rim and a bigger tire, which just happens to come to the same diameter as the stock 18" tires?
[/b]
Check out this site: Click Me!

In terms of staying close to the stock diameter, you'll be okay with 215-50/17 for 17" rims, 205-60/16 for 16" rims. The difference is less than 2%, which is negligible, and well within typical speedometer and odometer limits.
I've never driven a car with winter tires, I've always just used all-season, but everyone I talk to who uses them says they're a must. :unsure: My commute to work is about 25 kms highway and 15 kms city each way, is winter rubber really worth the expense?
[/b]
If you get a lot of snow, then yes, get snow tires. Despite the fact that the 6 gets all-seasons, they still don't come CLOSE to the traction that snow tires achieve in snowy/slushy conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you get a lot of snow, then yes, get snow tires. Despite the fact that the 6 gets all-seasons, they still don't come CLOSE to the traction that snow tires achieve in snowy/slushy conditions.
[/b]
I'm honestly scared to drive with the 6's stock tires on anything but dry pavement. Even when the roads are wet they have next to no traction, which is a bit of a concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts