Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post that on the new Mazda website it lists the "16 rims as having a +55 offset and the "17 rims as having a +60 offset. Does this mean as the width gets bigger they want you to use a higher offset? I'm planning on putting on "18 rims but they have a "7.5 inch width, does this mean I'll need an even higher offset. If I get a rim w/ a +45 offset will that mean that the rim will still out too far.

1 month of waiting for my car over with hopefully not more than one more month of a wait.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: offsets

The width of the wheels is the same, but the width of the tires are not. The 17" tires are 10mm wider, or 5mm wider on each side. The rims have 5mm extra offset to compensate.

Funny... I wouldn't of thought this necessary. Is it really that tight of a fit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Replying to Topic 'offsets'

Can anyone tell me what the bolt pattern is on the 6?? Anyone know if is the same as the eclipse? Thanx!
Michelle

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6gal

Can anyone tell me what the bolt pattern is on the 6??  Anyone know if is the same as the eclipse?  Thanx!
Michelle[/b]
5-100 if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by DIRT RACER

I thought it was 5x114.3?:sarc[/b]
I think it is.. maybe I'm confusing it with the Fiero (And the hundreds of other cars that use 5-100)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

The width of the wheels is the same, but the width of the tires are not.  The 17" tires are 10mm wider, or 5mm wider on each side.  The rims have 5mm extra offset to compensate.

Funny... I wouldn't of thought this necessary.  Is it really that tight of a fit?[/b]

Looking at the specs on tirerack.com. It looks like even tho the two tires are different widths 205/215, with both mounted on 7" rims the section width is about the same at 8.7". But the 60mm offset of the 17" rim would push the inside edge of the rim and tire closer to the suspension upright. Things seem real close there on my 16"s.

Boy, I hope this weather clears up soon, I've got a ton of things to check out and measure on this car.

DRAGONS6 I suspect that to mount a 7.5 in rim you will need one with less (smaller number) offset. A lot would depend on the true full width (section width) of the actual tire you are going to use. Tires are like clothing, different brands can vary greatly even if they are listed as the same size.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Originally posted by DRAGONS6

Just wanted to post that on the new Mazda website it lists the "16 rims as having a +55 offset and the "17 rims as having a +60 offset.  [/b]
Can you be more specific about the "new Mazda website"? Do you mean mazdausa.com? I don't recall seeing that degree of detail (offsets) at any Mazda website.

Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts

it is a 5x114.3...the 6 needs a HIGH positive offset. i have 18x7.5" rims with +48 offset. and the rears do not sit flush. the rear hubs are weird. they come out too far.

the fix for me..a small spacer on the rear...or to dremmel out the hole (hub) of the rim. haven't decided which to do yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Sounds like they sold you a set of rims and the centerbore isn't large enough for the 6. I know 5 lug Proteges are 67.1 mm I would think the 6 is in the same range.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by RexG

Originally posted by DRAGONS6

Just wanted to post that on the new Mazda website it lists the "16 rims as having a +55 offset and the "17 rims as having a +60 offset.  [/b]
Can you be more specific about the "new Mazda website"? Do you mean mazdausa.com? I don't recall seeing that degree of detail (offsets) at any Mazda website.

Thanks![/b][/quote]Yeah, sorry it is from the mazdausa website. I forget where I got the info, probably in the specs.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I am confused. On this thread, the offset for the OEM 17"s are +60mm. On another thread, it is +50mm. I talked to discount tires here in houston and they are telling +45mm. Which is true?? Does anyone have an authoritative answer to this question?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Guess I didn't make it clear. On the MazdaUSA web site is this (see link above)

What is the wheel offset?
16-inch tire has an offset of 55mm.
17-inch tire has an offset of 60mm.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: offsets

Man, I cannot imagine using any 17x7 wheels with anything less than 48+mm offset? It will already be 12 mm off from the OEM spec. Does that mean if I get some custom wheels like the ADR Kasai in 17x7 5x114.3 and +48mm offset, the new wheels old tires combo will make wheel stick out of the fender 12mm??

·
Registered
12 Posts

Yes, they will stick out 12mm more which, in my opinion, is reasonable for aftermarket wheels.

Offset = measurement from mouting surface to centerline of wheel. Positive offset means mounting surface is outboard from wheel centerline. Less + offset means wheel centerline is further outboard.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I honestly will not want anymore than 12 mm. I have seen some bad set up straight from the dealer..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts