Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received one of those little discount coupon packages from my dealership because I currently own both a 626 and Millenia. On the outside of the full color fold-up, it had a photo of a silver Mazda6 from the front and on the other side, a photo of the taillamps. On the outside it reads:

"Coming this fall: The all-new, 220-hp MAZDA6. To become an Insider, go to MazdaUSA.com"

So, to me "coming this fall" would mean anytime in September through October. If they were thinking November or December, to me that would be winter. Also, if you consider other late year releases for the next year's models, Sept to early Oct is the most common, and I cannot even recall a vehicle that has been released in Nov or Dec that would be called the next years model. Ususally they wait till Jan for Feb and just call it a 2004.

Any other thoughts? I'm hoping this car might actually start arriving within the next month to 1.5 months, not the December we've been hearing, which is definitely NOT fall.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Official Mazda Literature'

That's interesting cause the MazdaUSA site says "Coming in December".

One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing (or printing) it seems.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Well, technically the first day of fall is September 22 and the first day of winter December 22. So theoretically if the car is released December 21, then it's still fall. :sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Well, technically the first day of fall is September 22 and the first day of winter December 22.  So theoretically if the car is released December 21, then it's still fall. :sarc  [/b]
That's not even pessimistic. It's defaitistic. Selfdestructive. Abnormal. Ouch!!

To me fall is when the leaves start to do just that - fall. And that would be rather soon...:) (On the other hand, here Mazda6 is launched the upcoming weekend, with pre-release on thursday for us VIP-guys... :D )

Nah, on the other hand - you're right. Mazda USA has never said anything about hitting the market sooner than December.

But a good thing: notice that we are having the release here NOW. The first cars arrived at showrooms as early as in the beginning of July (or even at the end of June). Translated to your conditions, that would mean the first cars may arrive as soon as early october or late september.

As long as there's life, there's hope.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

But of couse, the sooner the better. Maybe if the sedan comes out sooner, the hatch will come out in time for me!!

·
Registered
305 Posts

Yeah, that's the sad thing... I know it's either wait until mid-2003 or go for a different car, because I want the hatch.

At least I can test-drive one if they release the sedan before long.

C'mon, Mazda, you're still tooling up the factory. Leave those trunk lids in the warehouse and start with the stylish, utilitarian 5-door model! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts

After seeing the sedan with a spoiler, I have to say that the hatchback may not be as cool as once thought. I also have read that the hatchback, because of its trunk design won't be nearly as rigid as the sedan will be, which means better handling in the sedan. Hatchbacks traditionally do poorly in America, and I certainly don't want to be viewed as a wierdo for buying a hatch, so I think I'll join the mob and go with the sedan.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by MAZDAMAN

I also have read that the hatchback, because of its trunk design won't be nearly as rigid as the sedan will be, which means better handling in the sedan.[/b]
This is deemed as true..but do you really think it would make a noticible difference in a sedan?

·
Registered
58 Posts

Wagon wagon wagon!
Never thought I would want a wagon but oooh that 6 wagon is so sexycool!

Our European friends: does the wagon look as good in person as it does in the pics?

MM

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by MightyMazda

Wagon wagon wagon!

Our European friends: does the wagon look as good in person as it does in the pics?

MM[/b]
Haven't seen it yet, but I hope I will see it on thursday. But I agree: it is a cool wagon, it kinda grows on you.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

To me fall is when the leaves start to do just that - fall.[/b]
Oooh, goody! With our drought over here, my lawn is covered with leaves! I guess that means the '6 is already in the showroom, and I just dont know it!!

:p

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It only makes sense that the sedan would handle better than the hatch or wagon. But how much better? For me I need the extra utility so it's not much of a sacrifice. I still think the hatch is the best compromise between style and utility. Now when you add handling to the equation...well I'll still take the hatch. Unless it's drastically worse than the sedan. Personally I don't think most people will even notice the difference. As for being a weirdo; well I'm a bit iconoclastic in that regard - I like being different than the crowd. But more importantly I like to make up my own mind and not let the crowd sway me either way. For ME the hatchback is the best solution. If you like the increased handling and the mob acceptance factor, go for it and more power to you. You'll still have an awesome car, and so will I!

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by MightyMazda

Wagon wagon wagon!

MM[/b]
Yes, it DOES! The 6SportBreak (as it's called here in NL) looks very sexy in real, even better than in the pics!! :D I think it's even sexier than an Alfa 156SportWagon (which actually is, next to the 6SB, one of the most attractive cars at the moment)!
To 'feed' your hunger for the 6SB, check the pic I've attached with this post.

Coen

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

It only makes sense that the sedan would handle better than the hatch or wagon.  But how much better?  For me I need the extra utility so it's not much of a sacrifice.  I still think the hatch is the best compromise between style and utility.  Now when you add handling to the equation...well I'll still take the hatch.  Unless it's drastically worse than the sedan.  Personally I don't think most people will even notice the difference.  As for being a weirdo; well I'm a bit iconoclastic in that regard - I like being different than the crowd.  But more importantly I like to make up my own mind and not let the crowd sway me either way.  For ME the hatchback is the best solution.  If you like the increased handling and the mob acceptance factor, go for it and more power to you.  You'll still have an awesome car, and so will I![/b]
Did you actually know that the Sedan and the Hatch have almost the same 'trunk-volume'? The Sedan is even a bit BIGGER! So why should its handling be better than the Hatch, I suppose the Hatch will handle the best of all three versions, because it's the smallest one and the other ones are 'distracted' from the Hatch..

Coen

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Did you actually know that the Sedan and the Hatch have almost the same 'trunk-volume'? The Sedan is even a bit BIGGER! So why should its handling be better than the Hatch, I suppose the Hatch will handle the best of all three versions, because it's the smallest one and the other ones are 'distracted' from the Hatch..[/b]
Coen,
The reason the sedan should handle better than either the hatch or the wagon is that it will have an extra cross beam. Behind the rear seats under the package shelf there will be a support beam. This adds structural rigidity that the hatch and wagon can't have due to their open rear. But that is also why the hatch has more available cargo space. Even though the "trunk" is slightly smaller, when you fold down the seats you have the entire space available. Much more flexible than when you fold down the sedan's seats. With the sedan you still have that pesky cross beam and the package shelf in the way. So like most things it's a trade-off. The sedan will have the best handling, but have the least utility; the hatch will have a good mix of both, and the wagon will have the most utility but suffer a bit in the handling department (due to the 80 or so extra pounds it carries).

·
Registered
70 Posts

I think they are dropping the ball on this car big time. How do you expect to gain market share after 4 months after the new accord arrives herein the states. I mean yea its cool looking and all, probably the best looking car in the segment, but its under powered, and isint coming until december, most likely take you till january to get one if you special order. 220hp simply isint enough, especially when tq is so low at 192lb feet. The new altima has 30 more hp, and 52lb feet mor of tq, the accord on premium gas has 250hp and 232tq at a lofty 6900rpm redline. My only hope is that since the 6's v6 engine isint used in europe that they are trying to revamp it a bit b4 launch. But they really ned to release some more literature on this or atleast respond with factory performance parts. Their main focus was to become a leader in the US market again, and they have a car with awesome potential, but they have failed to deliver the power, or the car in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I really don't see how Mazda has "dropped the ball" on the 6. They expect to gain market share based on having better driving dynamics, styling, and pricing than the Accord (as well as the rest of teh competition. Underpowered? If you want to win the horsepower race you could opt for the new Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO, which is expected to make 350-375 bhp. Then 240 or 250 will look underpowered by comparison right? Mazda has never put out the most powerful cars; they've always relied upon driving dynamics. The Mazdas are just more fun to drive. It's like the old saying: it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Will the extra power of the Altima and the Accord make a difference? Of course! In the stoplight races either car will probably beat the 6 handily. In the twisties? Well it remains to be seen, but considering that in Europe the 6 is routinely being touted as one of the best if not the best handling car in its class; I expect that it will come out on top in this area. Look let's be realistic here. Mazda's focus was not to "become a leader in the US market again" because they never were a leader, at least not sales wise. Instead their goal is to refocus and stop trying to lead by following. They got into it with the big boys and got their ass handed to them. Now they're focused on what they do best: creating cars that are fun to drive, reliable, and reasonably priced. Even so they have set very modest sales goals. They project 100000 to 120000 6's sold in the US. This is double the number of 626's, but about 25% of Accord or Camry sales. Finally you say that they failed to deliver the car in a timely fashion. Again I must disagree. This is just the perception based upon the early release of information about the car. If you contrast Mazda's situation with Honda's I think you'll see what I mean.

Honda has released nearly no information about the 2003 Accord until the last minute. In fact they've gone out of their way to be secretive. Why? Because if they'd released the specs and/or pictures of the new model, sales of the old model would have suffered. Mazda on the other hand already has a dud in the current 626 and Millenia. Their sales are in the toilet. So they have nothing to lose by trying to hype the new model, and everything to gain. If Mazda had remained as obtuse about the details of the new 6 as Honda has been about the Accord, they would have lost many more potential customers. I'm sure many people who have even caught one glimpse of the 6 are waiting until they arrive to make a buying decision. Many of those would probably already bought a Honda or Toyota or even a Nissan if Mazda hadn't hyped the 6 the way it has.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I agree with Kenoka on Mazda's marketing strategy here. They have very limited resources, and creating a hype is their only chance. It doesn't help that they've built the best handling and best looking and safest car in the class.

Paparazzis have their income from the fact that the car industry has to be secretive about their future models. I live very close to some of the world's largest car testing facilities for winter road testing, so I know. When the secret of a new model is out, it starts hurting the sales of the present model. People start waiting.

And that is exactly what Mazda wanted people to do: wait. They knew they wouldn't catch them with their present model program - their only chance was with the 6.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

And here we are all living examples of how successful Mazda has been with their strategy. We're all a bunch of menschs who have been sitting around waiting for this car for months and months. Sometimes we complain. Okay often we complain. BUT WE'RE STILL WAITING. Except for that guy Sampson who ran out and bought a Toyota Matrix (yuck).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts