Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
How annoying is having no resonator? I know someone who took his off of his speed3 and it really isnt annoying or any louder just more of a rumble to it.
I want to do a custom exhaust like they did with the 2.5" piping all the way through with no resonators but I want 2 Borla mufflers instead any input what size piping will be better the stock or increasing it to 2.5" and would they also be able to make a custom downpipe since thats where the power really comes from and the rest is more noise related?
I love the sound of my Borlas I just cant stand the interior noise its just very annoying to me because of the resonator delete when its so loud I have to turn up my radio over the sound of the exhaust to hear it. This happens whenever I shift and put put a decent foot into the throttle which is needed for everyday driving. Maybe I am not used to it . I think its just a personal preference on the interior noise level that your comfortable with while driving.
As for the piping I would stick to stock size 2.25. From what I read there is an exact science to it for the stock size to be best for best performance.
......That is unless like OZ said you get someplace to make custom headers then u can possibly consider 2.5 but I would go no bigger on that route.
Anyways hope this helps out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Has anyone done just a muffler delete or just a resonator delete on the 2.5? I've heard both on the 2.3. I was thinking if I kept the resonator and just deleted the muffler it would sound pretty deep, not ricey, and interior noise would be kept to a minimum.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
They only thing I can say about removing the resonator or mufflers is you loss back pressure, which means you loss torque, I have noticed after deleting my resonators it takes a little more to get off the line..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
They only thing I can say about removing the resonator or mufflers is you loss back pressure, which means you loss torque, I have noticed after deleting my resonators it takes a little more to get off the line..
^ Agreed I can notice this also although you gain a little more in the top end which I also notice too...

·
Registered
246 Posts
^ Agreed I can notice this also although you gain a little more in the top end which I also notice too...

I don't know if I like that, I might have to put on a high flow resonator with some different mufflers...

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't believe in the back pressure fairy tale. I had no cats, and mufflers you could see through on my old GT and noticed no loss in low end torque. If anything it would leave off the line even harder than before and had more power throughout the rev range.

Open headers I can understand, but having a restrictive exhaust manifold, not a header, a cat (2 cats?), and a huge muffler, there should be PLENTY of back pressure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What does everyone think of the resonators deleted, Im interested in your feedback?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Has anyone ran new pipe and muffler on the 2.5? I was looking at the OEM setup and its convoluted. The pipe comes into the muffer from the side and the rear. There must be at least 3-4 bends in the setup, and I am not sure how a new muffler will fit? I am looking at the Dynamax VT for a muffler. It appears to handle the drone issue very well. I had a couple of Flowmasters on an old Grand Prix and had to rip them off becuase they were so loud in the cabin. If anyone has pics of a 2.5 install that would be great!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So my vibrant resonator came yesterday in the mail but came bent on one end and has a slight dent in the middle :/ .... now gotta go through process of sending back and exchanging it....
Meanwhile I plan on making a WOT video of the current exhaust setup I have sometime in the next week

·
Registered
246 Posts
That sux man, can't wait to hear it at WOT

·
Registered
439 Posts
did you get it shipped by UPS? and I've been looking at the Borla turbo vs pro xs mufflers now that ive seen your set up I think the turbo mufflers are louder than the pro xs but havent done a lot of research on it yet

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
did you get it shipped by UPS? and I've been looking at the Borla turbo vs pro xs mufflers now that ive seen your set up I think the turbo mufflers are louder than the pro xs but havent done a lot of research on it yet
Yes I got it shipped by UPS very speedy delivery too. I did a lot of research on the same comparison before I made my decision and I read this found off multiple websites where others have emailed Borla and asked the same question. Here it is below same applies to the Turbo XL muffler it is the same too just longer......

I e-mailed borla and this is what they said about the Pro XS and Turbo XL

Thanks for your interest in Borla products. There is no difference
between the two mufflers. We make the Pro-XS muffler for the muffler
shops in mass quantity thus the lower price. Other than that, they are
the same.

Greg L. Weiss
Borla Performance Industries
701 Arcturus Ave
Oxnard, CA 93033
Direct Line: 805-246-6062
Fax: 805-986-8940
[email protected]
AIM:gregwatborla

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the useful information renny. Were you able to get around to making that WOT video yet? :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Since this is the exhaust thread maybe i could get some insight.

2.5l I4
im planning on removing the stock muffler and replacing it with a borla pro xs. 2.25 in and out. i cant remember if there is 1 or 2 resonators so ill leave that for you guys to put some insight on.

but the big thing im going to do is cut the flanges off of the downpipe and remove the second cat ( that connects to the downpipe). so cut the flanges off and weld a straight pipe onto the rest of the exhaust. the reason im doing this because where the cat connects to the DP squeaks like crazy and i have narrowed it down to that exact location, after about 2 weeks trying almost all the other solutions to fix the squeak.

so thats my plan tell me what you guys think thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hmm so they are the same product with different names? Idk why they would do that lol but thanks for sending them an email and they look like the best mufflers for our system imo.
Marketing:
Other companies do things like that, also. They have a product sold at the major merchants/installers and others sold through retail customer sales.

·
Registered
599 Posts
yep, just like the Subaru BRZ and Toyota FRS or the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe. They do it all day in consumer electronics as well. I still wonder if the Dynomax VT with the valve technolgy to reduce cabin noise would be better than the Pro XS?

41 - 60 of 214 Posts