Mazda 6 Forums banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just worried how its gonna sound. I'm confident it will sound decent. But I guess I'll never know until I try!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd like to hear how it sounds with the resonator delete. I have debated removing it, but I don't want to introduce more drone in the car. My Dynomax VT gives me a nice sound at WOT, but quiet in cruise mode.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm taking out my resonator and putting in an M-Spec II muffler. I'll post a video and everything when I'm done! Wish me luck guys!

·
Registered
39 Posts
To answer your earlier question about whether pipe diameter matters, yes and no.
whether you have the i4 or the v6, increasing to 2.5" would increase your max hp capabilities.
The i4 with stock piping would benefit from a 185 hp cap to a 232 hp cap, while the v6 from 371 to 463.
That said, it's pretty clear why a v6 owner has little incentive to go bigger. But an i4 owner just might if they were planning on additional mods. If you were running intake, HFC, headers, and exhaust, then personally I think that's incentive enough to go 2.5," just to be safe that you won't be limited by your exhaust if any other products come out for our gen 2.
How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos

Now as far as the res delete goes, doing so would add drone to your lower rpm's. That's one big reason so many people are on the fence about it. There's also the possibility that you could mess up o2 sensors or your car might start throwing some CEL's. But since I don't know anybody who's done a res delete for this car, it's really just up to you.

sorry for the long post :popcorn:
GOOD LUCK. I hope you get what you wanted, and don't forget to post vids! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
all the resonator does is help reduce that tin sound.
there's no performance or emissions change either way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I went with just getting the muffler installed. No res delete. I think I'm done spending money on my girl, mainly because I'm saving a GSXR 600. I might change my mind later on, but right now I'm pretty set. I'll make a cold start, warm start, and a drive by video for everyone as well as answer any questions. Thanks!

-kevin.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Alright so, like many others I've decided on the Borla Pro XS muffler. I'm getting it done first part of this week, just need to order the muffler. The reason I'm doing it much sooner than planned is because my new v6 rear bumper will not fit on the iSport i4 without doing something about the tailpipes (duals) so.... I need to replace the muffler with a single outlet that is about 2-2.5 inches further to the right than where the stock muffler exits. I love the sound of the borla but I guess my question is.. Do I need the 2.25 center/center? 2.25 center/offset? 2.25 offset/offset? And, bigger is going to be quieter I'm assuming so I'm going to go with the 9.5 inch wide one, I think. Never done any exhaust mods at all on a 4 cylinder and I'm nervous about it sounding rice but... Really hoping for a deep note. Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone that has installed one before.

Edit: also, what the hell is the meaning of the "notch" when looking up the muffler?

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I love the sound of it now with the raptor mufflers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a '09 2.5L, I'm deciding on wether to get the magnaflow(14815) or the Borla XS because of the lower rumble and not Too obnoxious sound. The V6 has a different exhaust, has anyone tried the Borla XS on the V4 and if so what model?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey I have a '09 2.5L, I'm deciding on wether to get the magnaflow(14815) or the Borla XS because of the lower rumble and not Too obnoxious sound. The V6 has a different exhaust, has anyone tried the Borla XS on the V4 and if so what model?
I have the I4 with the borla proxs and it sounds fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mangaflow mufflers sound good, take out the resonator though thats what i did to mine and it gave it more rumble and didnt make it raspy which is what i was afraid of.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts
About this Discussion
213 Replies
38 Participants
Mattyice
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing