Mazda 6 Forums banner

Do you think dating a co-worker is acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Depends on the work place. There's a big difference working at McDonalds, dating the chick/dude who assembles your burger and banging your secretary. You just have to be smart about it. Is the work place too intimate for dating? Is there a chance for promtion...etc.

I actually work at a hotel where two of my coworkers are married. They seem to spend too much time together(in my opinion) but have a pretty strong relationship, so i guess it all just depends.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
damn... i feel like i'm revealing too much... like this shit is somehow gonna make its way to work

but...

its a white collar design firm

studio setting, no cubicles, completely open, and there are no secrets because we like to tease, about every little thing we can.

and maybe 8 people in our office.

we all sit maybe 10 feet from each other... pretty intimate

·
Registered
805 Posts
How can a company have a policy against 2 people seeing each other!? I think that is absurd. It's personal business. As long as I get all my work done, why should they care?
[/b]
Businesses will say: The biggest issue comes from the whole sexual harrassment fear, or favortism... by just saying NO! it closes the door for there to be misconceptions or problems... (haha, yeah right!)

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you are just looking for a fling, then I would suggest no. If you are looking for a more long term relationship, even then, its a maybe. I wouldn't recommend dating some at work. It would be ok, if you have been dating for a while, and then started working together as well.

Me and my finace have been working together for about 3 years. Half that time was in the same department. However, we only started working together 2 years after we started dating. So we both knew each other pretty well by that point, and felt comfortable enough to go through with it. From my prespective, here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1- You save $$$$. Gas, car insurance, health insurance, etc.
2- We both are on the same schedule. Planning your afterwork/weekend activities is a lot easier.
3- Since we see each other a lot while @ work, we dont always have to spend time with each other while @ home. She is perfectly happy with watching her TV shows by herself, while I'm playing video games etc.
4- We help each other out while at work as well.

Cons:
1- Not that much private time. (Personally I dont mind it at all)
2- If you have a fight at home, you take it to work with you. (This only makes us work harder to resolve the issues sooner, so that it doesn't affect our work.)

These are the only 2 cons, I've come across so far. There maybe other problems, depending on your positions, salary etc.

My advice... if she is worth it then go for it. If not, then stay clear.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I tried this once, I work in an office building and she worked not in the same department, but the department next to mine, about 20 cubes away. Went out a few times, went ok but not great, and I decided to break it off because she seemed far too young mentally (not the years, the miles).

She turned out to have a small case of the crazies and turned into my own stalker. Started sending me flowers at work and dressing to match the colors with some of the flowers in her hair, she saw me talking and laughing with a female friend of mine at work and went home in tears, told everyone in the office that she was in love with me and what she was going to name our children...

The only problem I have with an at-work-relationship is, what if it goes badly? How do you get out? :huh:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Had a 2 month fling with a girl i shared a cubicle with. Ended incredibly badly and then spent the next year of my life in uncomfortable silence at work 2 feet away from her. Every day I wanted to beat my head against the wall. The sadest part was the sex wasn't even that great.
Catch phrase: Don't shit where you eat
Moral of the story: Don't do it

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have seen horrible and ugly relationships at work, and I have also seen some good ones. During college, I met my wife at the restaurant we worked at, and we've been together for five years. So, I guess I lucked out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you work at a smart company. They will seperate you. And you or your significant other ( I hate this PC crap ) can not be in a position of authority above one or the other.
This is to help the petty piss ass useless workers who whine at having to pay for coffee when they don't even drink it. It gives them no grounds to BITCH.
If you work at Wal-Mart, Well, just make sure that full protection for baby makin is takin. :laugh:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts